Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Are my UMI sfc's welded wrong???

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 09:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Are my UMI sfc's welded wrong???

I have a 97 Camaro, with the mods listed in sig. The other day I jacked up the front of my car, and when I let it back down I noticed the front looked like it was up higher than is normal. I confirmed this by placing the jack back under it, and there was a lot more clearance than when I initially jacked it up. The front was up about .5" - .75" more. I put my weight on the front fender and the car groaned (yes, I'm a fatty) as the suspension moved, and when I got off and checked the distance between the SFC and the jack again it was at the normal ride height.
My question: Is the back part of the SFC supposed to be welded where the LCA bolt goes? B/c mine isn't, and I can pinpoint groaning/creaking/popping from those two areas as the suspension loads/unloads.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

pics?
Old 02-08-2012, 12:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

post pics it will be the best way to help you. also check this link, it shows where they should be welded to.

http://installuniversity.com/ls1/ins...onnectors.html
Old 02-09-2012, 08:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sokr915
post pics it will be the best way to help you. also check this link, it shows where they should be welded to.

http://installuniversity.com/ls1/ins...onnectors.html
Dang... My SFCs are definitely not welded where the LCA bolts in... I'll try to post some pics tonight. Heh, I guess right now I have hybrid weld/bolt-on connectors.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:47 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

The height difference was merely from jacking the car up. The struts just needed to settle back down.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
The height difference was merely from jacking the car up. The struts just needed to settle back down.
...and the geometry of the front a-arms. At normal ride height, the a-arms are parallel to the ground and the wheels are the furthest out, the a-arms drop down at the spindle in the air and the wheels move inward slightly. After jacking, the tires look like the sidewall is rolling over and really thats whats holding the car up a little bit. After the car rolls a couple feet the front ride height will be fine.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:12 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by runtwrestlin
Dang... My SFCs are definitely not welded where the LCA bolts in... I'll try to post some pics tonight. Heh, I guess right now I have hybrid weld/bolt-on connectors.
I was hoping for some pics in case we did something wrong on our end. Our welders are pretty keen on the product details and everything is jig-built so hopefully your actual product is perfect.

ramey
Old 02-09-2012, 01:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by clrd4to
...at normal ride height, the a-arms are parallel to the ground and the wheels are the furthest out, the a-arms drop down at the spindle in the air and the wheels move inward slightly. After jacking, the tires look like the sidewall is rolling over and really thats whats holding the car up a little bit. After the car rolls a couple feet the front ride height will be fine.
bingo!
Old 02-14-2012, 01:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CLRD4TO
...and the geometry of the front a-arms. At normal ride height, the a-arms are parallel to the ground and the wheels are the furthest out, the a-arms drop down at the spindle in the air and the wheels move inward slightly. After jacking, the tires look like the sidewall is rolling over and really thats whats holding the car up a little bit. After the car rolls a couple feet the front ride height will be fine.
That makes sense, with the angles and what-not. What I don't understand though is if that were the case wouldn't the tires have to move more lateral (out) when I put weight on the car to make it settle back down? Do as you said and roll the the car forward/backwards tonight after jacking it up to see how that works.

The car makes a good amount of creaking/groaning noises from the where the LCA bolt goes in. If the rear part of the SFC was welded, do you guys think that would help eliminate some of the groaning?

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
I was hoping for some pics in case we did something wrong on our end. Our welders are pretty keen on the product details and everything is jig-built so hopefully your actual product is perfect.

ramey

I don't see how anything could be wrong on your end. The parts fit perfectly. I meant they're not welded to the car in the rear. I'm not sure if the shop in town that welded them on knew they were supposed to weld the rear part of the connectors (obviously I didn't, which is why I paid someone else to do it). Pics are below.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:45 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks for the pics.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=191

Image 4 at the bottom of the page shows an example of how the rear bracket is stitched to the rear pickup point on the car.

ramey
Old 02-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Launching!

Thanks Ramey.
That's how I thought it was supposed to be. I'm guessing that since a complete bolt-on version is sold, the fact that mine aren't welded right there isn't catastrophic or anything, right? In your professional opinion, how pertinent is it that I have them welded there? (I don't have a welder, so I'd have to get someone to do it)
Old 02-14-2012, 02:12 PM
FormerVendor

I'd say on a scale of 1 to 10, with no SFC's being a 1, that bolting in gives you an 8 out of 10 and final welding gives the next 2 more.

Having that rear section wrap around the pickup point and then stitched in really helps that back area. Bolting it accomplishes much of the same but not quite as much as welding.

As for groaning and creaking, you could pull the bolt, pull them down a bit and hit them with some grease between the SFC and flange. If your sound goes away for a week or two until the grease dissipates, then you know they NEED welded.

ramey
Old 02-14-2012, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by runtwrestlin
The car makes a good amount of creaking/groaning noises from the where the LCA bolt goes in. If the rear part of the SFC was welded, do you guys think that would help eliminate some of the groaning?
I bet that groaning is coming from those LCA bushings, poly makes noises and binds.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

they tightened the lca arm bolt with no load on the supension loosen with the car jacked from the rear end grease and tighten the bolt again.... i made this mistake plus poly is known to creek

Quick Reply: Are my UMI sfc's welded wrong???