Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Street driven 4th gen F-body with 275 front springs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 06:34 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Street driven 4th gen F-body with 275 front springs?

Looking at QA1 coil overs for my new track project car. 2000 Camaro SS, full weight and then some with a turbo 400, subframes, Moser 9"etc. Probably about 3600 lbs without driver. It's going to see a good bit of street duty in addition to track trips.
I have used QA1 coilovers on several other cars over the years, but always with "street" springs (292-300 lbs). QA1 advises on their website that their 275 lb front springs are "track only". I tolerate some compromises on the street in order to hook at the track, but want to see if anyone else is running 275 lb springs on a car that see a good bit of street time. I don't want the front end to bob up and down like a boat, like the two times I'd left the track and forgot to dial the front struts back up . Anyway I'd appreciate some input from people street driving cars with 275 springs up front.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:06 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Chances are with your full weight car it will wearf out a set of 275s pretty quick as they will probably be near coil bind. The 300 pound springs are the most common for cars with little or no weight reduction.

Give me a call when you're ready to buy the shocks and springs... I can probably save you some money and get you the right parts the first time.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:53 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

That was the kind of input I was looking for. Not just how it handles, but also any side effects. I thought it would be useful to point out it's a heavy pig. My other full weight car has 300# springs.

I purchased my Strange race brake setup from you a while back. I'll give you a call soon.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im running the 275lb springs on my QA1's and the ride is quite soft. I wouldn't recommend it for spirited corner carving. Actually going to take the setup off the car completely and go to more of a handling setup. But to answer your question is you can do it.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:10 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

275 is a light spring for the front of the F-Body. We only sell them to cars with pretty intense weight reduction or guys who are really only using their car for the track. 300lbs is the traditional weight we suggest on a street car. Even at that rate, you are compromising ride and road performance. They're not terrible, but they're not like a lowering spring. Only run them if you're looking to maximize your track performance. I ran the 300s on my SS.
- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 02-17-2012, 10:32 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Thanks Kevin. I appreciate the input! Sounds like the experts are pushing me away from the idea, which is fine. I just needed some experienced advice.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:34 AM
FormerVendor

I'll vote for 300+ as well.

There are plenty of other things we can do to help you get down the track.

Do you have any mods out back? How much tire are you running?

ramey
Old 02-17-2012, 11:47 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TWS
Thanks Kevin. I appreciate the input! Sounds like the experts are pushing me away from the idea, which is fine. I just needed some experienced advice.
You're welcome. It's the beauty of the forum. I think you will be fine with the 300s. I never ran the 275 on my personal car, but I know that the 300s were, IMO, a pretty good spring. If you see yourself adding some weight to the nose with an underhood turbo kit, blower, or iron block, I think we would all agree to step up on the weight too.

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 02-17-2012, 07:43 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
I'll vote for 300+ as well.

There are plenty of other things we can do to help you get down the track.

Do you have any mods out back? How much tire are you running?

ramey
Car hasn't gone down the track yet under my ownership. I may get a baseline on it before I do a lot of mods, but suspension is NOT set up for drag racing. It has a few things that need to be swapped out to change it from a street brawler to a track car. For instance it still has the SLP provided Bilsteins and the previous owner added Eibach Sportlines. Stance looks very nice, but not set up for the 1320. For instance he still had the stock rear sway bar hanging off Moser 9" It looks like a twig back there. Not bashing him, he wasn't dumb. He was still in the process of building the car. He'd made a lot of progress but wasn't done (are they ever?) I'm picking up where he left off. Hate to say, but I just purchased your competitor's Xtreme rear sway bar to solve that issue. Car already has a Dennis Miller Torque arm, adj panhard, and some brand of boxed LCA's. Working on the shocks and springs now, but may take it to the track in street trim once for grins. I'll be running 26" MT ET Drags on Weld Prostars.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:50 PM
FormerVendor

Your car looks pretty sweet.

How about some relocation brackets to get some LCA angle in it?

It's always good to baseline a car and take good notes. Then you can tune and know whether your changes are helping or not.

Whatever you end up doing, I'm sure you'll get it working well. Sounds like you have a good thought process on what you want to accomplish.

ramey

Quick Reply: Street driven 4th gen F-body with 275 front springs?