Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

brakes WILL not bleed!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 01:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brakes WILL not bleed!!!!!

help guys... i have a 99 ws6 and i took my calipers off for about a week to paint them extensively and now i have put them back on the car (correctly) and i cant get the things to hold a BIT of pressure when the car is on... i have bled and bled and bled and will STILL not get pedal... what am i missing??

thanx

mike
Old 04-03-2004, 02:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you let the MC run dry?
Did you use new seals on all the banjo fittings?
Old 04-03-2004, 07:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Did you let the MC run dry?
Did you use new seals on all the banjo fittings?

i cant rememeber to save my life if i like the master cylinder run dry or not, but this is what happened--> i let the whole system sit for about 4 days and the fluid just sort of drained out as much as it could during that period. i put no new seals on it or anything, but it dont leak as i know of..

please help

thanx!

mike
Old 04-03-2004, 08:19 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Air may have gotten into the ABS unit. You'll need a Tech II to bleed that system. Only the dealer (or possibly another shop) will have that.

--VIP1
Old 04-03-2004, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, you let the MC run dry.

You have major air entrainment and it will require you to bench bleed the MC and then chase air out of the rest of the system.

You also need to replace all 8 of the metal seals around the banjo fittings. They are single use, crush seals.

Based upon what you have shared, I suggest you take the car to a shop and have the brake system bled.
Old 04-04-2004, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably also have air in the antilock solinoids which will require a special GM tool to open them to allow bleeding. You should always plug/cap the brake lines when you disconnect them.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:31 PM
Launching!

thanx guys.... how would i bench bleed the master cylinder?? i have NO ABS right now just becuase of some reason that i dont know of... ( i have an INOP ABS light on) would this affect my situation any?

thanx!

mike
Old 04-04-2004, 06:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think because you have to ask those questions, it would be best if you took it to a shop and spend the $150 it's gonna take to get your system bled properly.

No offense intended, but dickin' with brakes as an experiment is not a smart thing to do.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mitchntx
I think because you have to ask those questions, it would be best if you took it to a shop and spend the $150 it's gonna take to get your system bled properly.

No offense intended, but dickin' with brakes as an experiment is not a smart thing to do.

yeah, ill prolly just take it to a shop. but what you think about this?? - i just got done driving it around town and the car has SOME brakes... if you push the pedal ALL the way down as HARD as you can the rear brakes will lock up and you go sliding. but it IS possible to drive just no sudden stops. i thougth that it would work itsself out like my clutch did one time, but it hasnt this is my LAST thing to see whats going on before i take it to the shop tommarow..

thanx guys!!!!!!!!

mike

mike