Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Porsche Brake Rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Porsche Brake Rotors?

I have heard so many people say that most drilled rotors are not cast into the rotor, but rather drilled afterward unlike porsche rotors that are cast into the actual metal. Does anyone know if a porsche rotor would bolt up properly to our cars? Saw 2 GT3's and a GT2 this weekend and the rotors on those bad boys looked sooooooo nice! Any info would be great!
Old 03-08-2004, 03:52 PM
Teching In

They don't just bolt up. There are a couple different kits out there to adapt Porsche brakes for our car....the PSM kit required you to drill the 5-bolt holes into the rotors even once you'd installed Porsche calipers. I don't know if there's a way to use Porsche rotors at all with our stock brakes.

Originally Posted by skytower31
I have heard so many people say that most drilled rotors are not cast into the rotor, but rather drilled afterward unlike porsche rotors that are cast into the actual metal. Does anyone know if a porsche rotor would bolt up properly to our cars? Saw 2 GT3's and a GT2 this weekend and the rotors on those bad boys looked sooooooo nice! Any info would be great!
Old 03-09-2004, 10:12 PM
roy
TECH Resident

Ever since replacing my system some years ago, I am still in disbelief on these brakes.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A budget way would be to use the LG Motorsports G-Stop brake kit to adapt C5 brakes to your car, then get Porsche rotors from this place.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by roy
Ever since replacing my system some years ago, I am still in disbelief on these brakes.
Agreed ... why didn't I listen to you before I spent all that cash on stock brakes?

Old 03-10-2004, 10:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Agreed ... why didn't I listen to you before I spent all that cash on stock brakes?

I read and listened into several of your posts on here and other boards, thats why I went straight to the kit I got instead of putting money into the stock system
Old 03-11-2004, 11:52 AM
10 Second Club

mitch, did you switch to the c5 kit? is that what you are unhappy with? thanx.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

I was very happy with the C5 upgrade. There was a definite difference in braking performance.

What I was referring to was roy's recommendation many years ago to stop messing around and get BIG brakes to begin with if you are gonna track your car.

He was correct. My brake budget has fell to almost nothing in the last year because of getting BIG brakes. It was pricey up front, but will pay for itself in the long run.
Old 03-11-2004, 01:18 PM
10 Second Club

so the c5 upgrade isn't BIG brakes? which BIG kit did you get? thanx!!
i'm pondering stoptech...
Old 03-11-2004, 05:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

A now defunct company called Prospeed Motorsports.

It scavenged parts off of a 2001 996TT or GT2 Porsche.

StopTech would be a good choice.
The C5 brakes are a great bang for the buck, though. Especially for a street car
Old 04-02-2004, 12:03 AM
Teching In

Well this is a little late, but skytower, to answer your question: The porsche rotors are NOT cast with the holes. They're actually made by Brembo (with Porsche part #s since those are made specifically for Porsche), but definitely not cast.
This was also verified by a Brembo employee (that works in the tech dept) over on CC (Corner-Carvers). To simply put it, how would you actually make that cast? Not really possible to cast it WITH the holes. They first cast the rotors, then drill them. The locations for the holes are decided prior to making the rotors though.

Gagan
Old 04-02-2004, 08:59 AM
TECH Resident

Hum, thanks for the info.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:16 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mitchntx
The C5 brakes are a great bang for the buck, though. Especially for a street car
I have my stock calipers, Baer Eradispeed's (can't find the replacement rotor parts) and all stainless steel lines. I think the car stops awesome.

Do you mean to tell me the C5 brakes stop even better?? No warpage?

Also, there is company Movit in Germany that sells Porsche brake systems to adapt to many other cars. They are not cheap, but supposedly worth it.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:44 AM
Teching In

SS lines always help. As for Movit, they make some good kits from what I hear. Then again so do Brembo and StopTech. All depends on the car, ST's prices are better though and stiffer calipers As for stopping better, depends on the rotors.
Gagan
Old 04-03-2004, 09:24 PM
roy
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mwarrior
Well this is a little late, but skytower, to answer your question: The porsche rotors are NOT cast with the holes. They're actually made by Brembo (with Porsche part #s since those are made specifically for Porsche), but definitely not cast.
This was also verified by a Brembo employee (that works in the tech dept) over on CC (Corner-Carvers). To simply put it, how would you actually make that cast? Not really possible to cast it WITH the holes. They first cast the rotors, then drill them. The locations for the holes are decided prior to making the rotors though.

Gagan
Gagan , Nothing further could be from the truth than what you said right there. That is how rumours get started about stuff that is not true.
Porsche rotors are made in Germany By a well known steel manufacturer .

Porsche calipers on the other hand are manufactured by Brembo under license from Porsche.
Old 04-03-2004, 09:25 PM
roy
TECH Resident

Mitch , If only hindsight was 20/20
Old 04-03-2004, 09:41 PM
Teching In

Roy: Would this "well known steel manufacturer" happen to be in Ottobrun, Germany? I always like backing the things I say with facts and quotes, so heres a link and you can also discuss this with the Brembo engineering employee that said this.

However, one intersting item is that all of our X-drilled holes are exactly that....drilled.....even the Porsche ones. Its a bit of an urban legend that Porsche "casts-in their holes" for strength. Truth is, when I started with Brembo I thought the same thing. I mentioned it to our Italian resident Applications Engineer. I was kinda surprised myself. He laughed and added, "People seriously think we cast in all of the holes? Wow, I'd love to see the mold for that! No, actually they are all drilled and chamfered post-casting. "
http://corner-carvers.com/forums/sho...0&pagenumber=2

You can go there for the whole thread. This same topic came up there. As for rumors getting started about stuff, I assume you have proof or a picture of the actual casting process? Or like the "Italian resident engineer" said, I'd love to see the mold for it. If anybody can provide proof that there IS one, by all means.

Gagan
Old 04-04-2004, 11:11 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mwarrior
...I assume you have proof or a picture of the actual casting process? Or like the "Italian resident engineer" said, I'd love to see the mold for it. If anybody can provide proof that there IS one, by all means.

Gagan
You mean, like this?
Old 04-05-2004, 03:54 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Gagan
All original New vehicle Rotors for Porsche are Porsche Designed and then Manufactured by SHW Gmbh . I don't know if you have ever purchase a original equipment Porsche rotor or not . But When I pick up replacements for my GT3/GT2 hybrid system from Porsche , and I have purchased a few ,They all say manufactured in Germany.

But Porsche designed calipers are manufactured by Brembo under license. But to say they are brembos would be an injustice to the Porsche engineers who spent countless hours and millions of dollars designing basically the best street and track Brake system for a Production car.

Side note the page use to show the Porsche rotor now it shows the motorsport rotors for BMW.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:46 AM
TECH Resident

think rotors: made of special steel alloy, MOV' IT ® rotors are all vented with cast not drilled holes. that means no tension, no cracking, no splash shield required, and the perfect ventilation for optimum braking. special slots make the surface area of the ventilation system much larger than in conventional rotors, keeping tem-peratures down and durability up.
That is directly from that site.