Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Baer Track 4 vs C5 vs CTSV Brake Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 08:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Baer Track 4 vs C5 vs CTSV Brake Kit

I am looking into a brake upgrade for my 02 Camaro. I am considering the Baer T4 brake kit but wanted to compare it to the CTSV and C5 brake upgrade. I am most concerned with performance and best value.

Does anyone have any info?
Old 05-02-2013, 10:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

cts v kit or c6z will be awesome since parts are always easy to get for them . The c5 is a 12.75 rotor with basically an fbody caliper , yes i know some differences . Are you running 18's . If so look into the ctsv or c6z or 5th gen camaro upgrade.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

I am leaning towards the Baer Kit because it is engineered to be a direct fit and doesn't require washers and wheel spacers. Another plus is the Baer uses 98-02 F-Body Brake Pads! Was curious if anyone has any experience with the Baer kit. Is it worth the money? Or is it that much cheaper to run spacers and washers?
Old 05-16-2013, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

I ordered the Baer Kit! will post up results and impressions after the install.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:39 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

CTS-V with Racing Brake 2-piece rotors are a direct fit. And far superior to the Baer kit. And much cheaper.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

Direct fit by needing washers and wheel spacers is not direct fit to me my friend. And on what basis can you say that they are far superior? Not trying to get into a flame war but just wanted to know what your basis to that conclusion was? FYI the Baer kit utilizes a LS1 FBody Brake pad setup so pads are easy to come by.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:06 PM
Super Hulk Smash

It doesn't use washers. It uses a full floating 2-piece disc that is lightweight and correct offset. And the brembo is a 4-piston monobloc that is a production part. Easy to come by pads too. I'm talking about a new setup. Not the stuff in the stickies.

Downside is the rotors are $1000. But the calipers are $240. So there you go. Direct bolt on however.

My thread on the CTS-V has a link and talks about this setup...
Old 05-16-2013, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
It doesn't use washers. It uses a full floating 2-piece disc that is lightweight and correct offset. And the brembo is a 4-piston monobloc that is a production part. Easy to come by pads too. I'm talking about a new setup. Not the stuff in the stickies.

Downside is the rotors are $1000. But the calipers are $240. So there you go. Direct bolt on however.

Good Info to know! Thanks. For the money its 6 to 1/2 dozen vs the Baer. FYI I have 18" Fikse's on Fbody Offset which is why I have no desire to run spacers.

Last edited by SSRed2k2; 05-16-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:42 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Yeah, I wasn't just spewing the stuff everyone on else here is doing. I want a well engineered part that will perform. If you've seen any of my posts, you know I do things right Even if it costs a little more.

And truth be told, moving up to a 14" rotor is a huge unsprung weight penalty. The Racing Brake rotors are 21lbs, which is only 2lbs more than F-Body 11.9" rotors. The thermal improvement for a marginal trade-off in unsprung weight is worth it. The downside is they are huge. But 18x9" or 18x9.5" wheels with a 40mm offset will clear...

Btw, here is the link: you just call and order it with the Corvette hat vs the CTS-V.

http://www.racingbrake.com/CTwo-piec...-07-p/2114.htm
Old 05-16-2013, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, I wasn't just spewing the stuff everyone on else here is doing. I want a well engineered part that will perform. If you've seen any of my posts, you know I do things right Even if it costs a little more.

And truth be told, moving up to a 14" rotor is a huge unsprung weight penalty. The Racing Brake rotors are 21lbs, which is only 2lbs more than F-Body 11.9" rotors. The thermal improvement for a marginal trade-off in unsprung weight is worth it. The downside is they are huge. But 18x9" or 18x9.5" wheels with a 40mm offset will clear...

Btw, here is the link: you just call and order it with the Corvette hat vs the CTS-V.

http://www.racingbrake.com/CTwo-piec...-07-p/2114.htm
It sounds like a well thought out plan. If I havent already ordered the Baer kit, I would have waited to see how yours turned out. All in All I think the Baer will suit me well. I dont track the car and dont ever plan to but the OE brakes are dangerous for my setup. IIRC the Baer kit is 13" Rotors.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious if youve gotten the opportunity to install the kits yet, if so, what do you think? Did you order fronts only? I did the 6S kit (w/ 14" rotors) for the front and wanted a Track4 kit (13" rotors) for the rear, but Baer told me that I really wanted the 6P kit for the rear and 14" rotors. I just decided to go with it. Ive got no real issues other than the rear wasnt as much of a direct fit as I would have liked. There are quite a few washers on there to make up the difference in the brackets and my Moser 12. Considering having a machinist friend make some spacers and then just use a washer or two to square up the calipers to the rotors as directed in the instructions. As it sits right now, I had no issues with them competing at the Optima Ultimate Street Car Challenge at Road America last year. Figure if they could handle that, my 90% daily driving wont pose a problem for them. The 6S and 6P kits utilize a C6 front brake pad, so pads arent definitely not an issue here either.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

No I haven't installed them yet! Actually I haven't received them yet. It's my understanding that they make them to order, so any day I should get them. I didn't upgrade the rears, I just went with their matching rotors, pads and will powder coat the calipers. For the use this car gets (street) I couldn't justify/afford the 6p kit. I will post up results and review after I get them installed! Thanks for the interest.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Default Front Brake Upgrade

Starting my own research for upgrading the front brakes and I came across this thread. I'm interested in hearing how everyone is enjoying their setup.

I currently have upgraded (stock size) rotors and pads, with SS lines. Nothing fancy, but improved over stock. Regular driving is fine, but the car currently makes 520rwhp and the current setup doesn't inspire much confidence coming down from higher speeds or from full throttle acceleration.

The Baer Track4 kit looked like a worthwhile upgrade, but I'm just starting to get familiar with what's available and what is overkill for my needs. I also have 17" Torque Thrust M's on the car, so space is potentially an issue.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Nick
Old 12-26-2013, 07:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll throw my $.02 in as well, I would say the C5 kit is the best bang-for-buck kit without spacers. 12.9" C5 or C6 (non-Z51) rotors (or if you use a Z51 pad abutment bracket, can use Z51 13.4" rotors), can use C5 or C6 calipers, pads and parts are abundant, and no spacers required.
I've been running these brakes in my car for years with both Hawk HPS and HP+ pads, and years of autox, and I have no problem slowing down VERY quickly with this setup.

Unlike what ramairetransam said, they are definitely NOT f-body calipers, they are pressure cast PBR calipers with much greater strength than the LS1 calipers, which tend to have spreading issues.

CTS-V 6-pistons would be my 1st choice, but if you want a design that you know won't need a spacer, I would go with the C5/6 kit. With the right pads, SS lines, and fluid, any of these kits will be a huge improvement over stock.

Last edited by kgkern01; 12-26-2013 at 07:37 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:29 PM
TECH Veteran

the c6z calipers are junk
Old 01-01-2014, 02:26 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i run the C6 base caliper setup which are supposed to be stiffer than the C5Z setup ...i found the brake torque to be very similar to the stock ls1 calipers but the modulation and release characteristics are far superior. I track and autox my car and use different pads and rotors for each discipline so i needed the ability to change pads and rotors quickly...this setup allows me to do that...and it fits under most 17" wheels keeping tire costs under some sort of control.

pad and rotor choices are plentiful with this setup so you're not married to any particular company for your parts...that's important for what i'm doing...as much as i like wilwood and stoptech, this bothers me.

having said all that, i would love to try the CTSV setup...just to see what it feels like.

my .02 cents

Last edited by brigade24; 01-01-2014 at 02:29 PM. Reason: clarity

Quick Reply: Baer Track 4 vs C5 vs CTSV Brake Kit