Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front Lower A Arm bushing measurement HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 01:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front Lower A Arm bushing measurement HELP!!

Alright guys I'm installing poly bushings in my 2002 Camaro SS. I had the common rear bolt rust welded to the inner sleeve of the bushing problem so heat was applied copiously lol anyway it goes without saying I burnt the rubber out and beat the h*!! Out of it to remove well in doing so I was unable to get an installed height measurement of the bushing to duplicate when I reinstall the new bushings...can a few of you guys with stock lower a arms mic the bushings and get some measurements for me so I can replicate whatever average you guys provide...thanks in advance I appreciate it.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Confused...... Just press them in until the are centered and even on both sides.......
Old 01-12-2014, 05:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Undertow74
Confused...... Just press them in until the are centered and even on both sides.......
If I'm understanding correctly from everything else I'm reading I should install them to the same width as the old bushings but being that I had to burn mine out I do not have a measurement...if I am confused I would appreciate someone explaining why according to GM service manual its says to get a measurement on the old bushing before removing...then install new bushing to the same measurement...
Old 01-12-2014, 06:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Superslow0288
If I'm understanding correctly from everything else I'm reading I should install them to the same width as the old bushings but being that I had to burn mine out I do not have a measurement...if I am confused I would appreciate someone explaining why according to GM service manual its says to get a measurement on the old bushing before removing...then install new bushing to the same measurement...
Why not just order the proper bushings? I'm not sure why you want to measure the old ones. Also ... is that a track car? I can't imagine running poly for a street car.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i dont know how the poly bushing are but your saying there 2 parts, to space them? the middle sleeve should be the length, and they just press in, and the sleeve is the width to fit in the pocket on the kmember
Old 01-12-2014, 12:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TA_Freak
Why not just order the proper bushings? I'm not sure why you want to measure the old ones. Also ... is that a track car? I can't imagine running poly for a street car.
No this is on a street/strip car should see about the same amount of time on both. I'm going simply off what I've read about installing bushings
Old 01-12-2014, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The bushing has a metal sleeve around it.press it into the arm so it's centered. That's all you have to do. I think you confusing yourself with the mounting if the arms to the kmember. That is slotted and needs to be put back in correctly or your alignment will be off. Either way you need a front end alignment after doing the bushings
Old 01-12-2014, 06:46 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks undertow that makes more sense than a lot of what I was reading. The great the forums is when you say wtf other guys look at you like wtf. Thanks for clarifying. Would anyone happen to know where I can purchase the bushing cups in the control arms the mine aren't 100% shot but looking kinda rough thought it might be worthwhile to replace while I'm in there.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I hope you aren't trying to put poly in the caster (vertical) bushing of the lower A arm. Poly there can cause so much bind that people have actually broken the arm from that.

The other lower A arm bushing (horizontal, camber bushing) can be poly.

I don't think you can get just the shells. They come attached to the rubber bushings. Which again, do not use poly on that caster bushing!

Quick Reply: Front Lower A Arm bushing measurement HELP!!