Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bilsteins and Strano springs vs koni s/a and cut stock springs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 11:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilsteins and Strano springs vs koni s/a and cut stock springs?

I've been debating over and over and over about what I want to lower my car on and what my setup should be. I really need help getting in the right direction so here are the basics on my car and it's daily use:

I take corners slow, it is my daily driver, and I would like to run it at the track.

So first question is.. What lowering springs should I go with? I love the way Sam strano has his set up and most cars that have them look really good. So strano or bmr are my top choices.

Also what shocks would be best suited for MY daily driving. Like I said, I don't take turns fast, just looking for a comfortable ride when I lower my car.

If you guys recommend Koni shocks, I would cut my stock springs and run them with the konis, unless BMR or Strano could work out a deal with me.

Any opinions or suggestions? Sorry for the long post, I'm trying to include as much info as possible.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:58 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

BMR was giving away their springs with Konis last year. You missed out.

I would not cut the stock springs. Do the heater hose mod and lower perch on the Konis. That will give you a better ride and a little bit of a drop.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
BMR was giving away their springs with Konis last year. You missed out. I would not cut the stock springs. Do the heater hose mod and lower perch on the Konis. That will give you a better ride and a little bit of a drop.
Last year I was busy camming up my ls1 lol so not exactly missing out.

Are konis that much "better" than bilsteins in terms of life span and ride comfort with lowering springs?
Old 01-27-2014, 01:02 PM
Super Hulk Smash

The Bilsteins on the shelf are the "HD" valved option. Which are great for stock springs. Not so much with the aftermarket lowering springs. If they had a "Sport" option, I'd say yes, go with the Bilsteins without much reservation. They are very durable. The "HD" valved ones will work with whatever spring you combine them with and have decent dampening capabilities - just not as good as the Koni or Bilstein Sport.

I, however, prefer the ride quality of a twin-tube shock. Bilsteins are monotubes. It's a personal preference.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP. If you spend the money to buy Konis, why would you want to hinder their awesome performance with cut stock springs?
The following users liked this post:
1SS2NV00 (12-26-2020)
Old 01-27-2014, 02:04 PM
11 Second Club

Konis + strano springs seems to be all everyone is talking about. But then again they do look like an awesome setup, just don't know if dropping $1300 to lower the car is something I really want to do.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In short, Konis + Strano springs would be option A....get the look, great handling and good dampening properties. Cost can be the deterent here.

Personally, I went with the Bilstein + Strano option and love it as a budget alternative. Got the look and the handling is MUCH better than stock. The ride is definitely more firm, however it isn't "shake the fillings out of your teeth" rough like you get with poorly matched combos.

If I had it to do all over again, I would spend the cash on Konis and Strano springs. Sure, it's a premium price, however I do several track days a year and believe I would appreciate top-of-the-line handling performance.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:25 PM
Super Hulk Smash

You don't spend $1300 to lower the car. You spend $1300 to get the car to handle properly and drive better.

I personally hate the idea of lowering a car that already scrapes everything.
The following users liked this post:
ron_c (12-04-2020)
Old 01-27-2014, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™

I would not cut the stock springs. Do the heater hose mod and lower perch on the Konis. That will give you a better ride and a little bit of a drop.
I whole heartedly disagree. No race championships, massive amount of track time, or store of my own but I can honestly say cutting my stock springs was a fantastic idea.

Car rides great, could be a DD if needed. Controls its self very well and looks great. It undoubtedly wouldnt be as good on a track as Strano springs but for the 99.9% driving I do on the street, it was a good move.

I did the heater hose mod and it wasn't what I was looking for. I should have just cut the spring and put the isolator back in.

When cutting stock springs, its important to pull your head out of your ***: DONT CUT TOO MUCH!!!! If you remove a reasonable amount, you will still have a reasonably nice ride. Take more than one coil and your going to have a choppy, harsh ride on the bump stops.

Buy a good shock regardless, do NOT cheap out here.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:28 PM
11 Second Club

Talked to Sam today. We landed on the Koni STR-T's front and rear with his springs (obviously I was already set on the springs). Anyone running the Koni STR-T shocks and struts?
Old 01-28-2014, 07:39 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i will be running the SLP spec Bilsteins

Sam sells those aswell

Quick Reply: Bilsteins and Strano springs vs koni s/a and cut stock springs?