Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stock vs Bilstein shocks, which are better for drag

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 09:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stock vs Bilstein shocks, which are better for drag

Want to know if stock shocks would be better for drag over Bilstein shocks. Have Bilstein shocks on now but I'll switch if stock ones are better. I've spend $4,300 in the last week for all new front suspension so adjustable rear shocks are going to have to wait.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I can't imagine stock shocks being good for anything.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll take your word for it and just leave the Bilsteins on till I can get double adjustables
Old 07-01-2014, 09:01 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jc803
Want to know if stock shocks would be better for drag over Bilstein shocks. Have Bilstein shocks on now but I'll switch if stock ones are better. I've spend $4,300 in the last week for all new front suspension so adjustable rear shocks are going to have to wait.
Since you are on a super tight budget I would recommend going with the Competition Engineering 3 way adjustable shocks over either of the options you have listed. These shocks can be bought for less than $100 and will offer way better straight line performance than the other shocks you are debating about. I have personally used these on quite a few cars with great success.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 07-01-2014, 09:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Since you are on a super tight budget I would recommend going with the Competition Engineering 3 way adjustable shocks over either of the options you have listed. These shocks can be bought for less than $100 and will offer way better straight line performance than the other shocks you are debating about. I have personally used these on quite a few cars with great success.
How are those shocks for street driving? I assume the Bilstein's are better on the street?
Old 07-01-2014, 09:34 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
How are those shocks for street driving? I assume the Bilstein's are better on the street?
They are okay for street driving and most of the guys that I deal with that have these shocks do street drive with them. They definitely are not as good as a Bilstein shock on the street but you can't really expect a cheap drag shock to be either.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Are they better than stock shocks on the street, or is the difference minimal?
Old 07-01-2014, 09:38 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You will eventually replace them... probably sooner than later.

The best value if you are looking into adjustable shocks is the Viking doubles from MWC. Yes they are more cost than a set of internal adjustable gas shocks, but do it once and be done. The Comp Eng shocks are only available for the f-body rears.

To the OP... if you want a comparison a set of worn out stockers will most likely work better for drag.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:39 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Are they better than stock shocks on the street, or is the difference minimal?
You are kind of comparing apples to oranges here because these are shocks that are designed to do two totally different things. It would be hard for me to say that they are better than brand new factory shocks on the street but they would definitely be better than high mileage factory shocks.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:56 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm happy with my SLP Bilsteins at the track (and on the street). I'd surmise the springs have more of an effect than the shocks do.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:45 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by demonspeed
I'm happy with my SLP Bilsteins at the track (and on the street). I'd surmise the springs have more of an effect than the shocks do.
Bilsteins are definitely a compromise at the track but when teamed up with the correct parts they can work okay. The shocks are definitely going to be more important than the springs in this situation.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:26 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

How about Konis? I've seen some folks cut some 1.5x with Koni/Strano combo. I have the Koni/BMR combo and just wondering... not chasing an ultimate track time. I want a balanced car I can drag, drive on the street, autox, and maybe even some road racing...
Old 07-01-2014, 06:32 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Bilsteins are definitely a compromise at the track but when teamed up with the correct parts they can work okay. The shocks are definitely going to be more important than the springs in this situation.
I'm certainly not a shock/spring pro, but I'm envisioning that a stiffer spring (like a lowering spring) would affect traction more than the shock that it surrounds. Perhaps I simply don't understand it. FWIW, I cut 1.9 60's on all-season tires with Bilsteins.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:50 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
How about Konis? I've seen some folks cut some 1.5x with Koni/Strano combo. I have the Koni/BMR combo and just wondering... not chasing an ultimate track time. I want a balanced car I can drag, drive on the street, autox, and maybe even some road racing...
With the right tires and suspension components you can get the Koni/BMR setup to work pretty good at the track. I have seen plenty of guys cut decent 60ft times with them. With wanting a more balanced car like you do there are always going to be compromises in certain areas. When you do get the car to the track you will have to let us know how you do.

Originally Posted by demonspeed
I'm certainly not a shock/spring pro, but I'm envisioning that a stiffer spring (like a lowering spring) would affect traction more than the shock that it surrounds. Perhaps I simply don't understand it. FWIW, I cut 1.9 60's on all-season tires with Bilsteins.
A stiffer springs does help keep pressure on the tire to help drive it into the pavement but there is only a minimal performance change between stock springs and say a stiffer lowering spring. There are a ton of guys that have gone super fast on stock rear springs as well as stiffer lowering springs. The valving of the shock is really the most important thing. If I had the choice of buy a rear drag shock or stiffer rear springs I would definitely buy the shocks over the springs because the improvement in performance will be greater with the shocks.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:33 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Will do, Kyle.

I have LCAs with Poly Joints and LCA Relo brackets, the BMR adjustable full length TA, and the relo crossmember (currently set to 4th from the bottom) with the LCAs set on the bottom with the BMR lowering springs. I have Nitto NT05R 315 DRs on the back... I'm hoping for 1.6x with that setup @ 14 PSI in the tires.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:16 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the Lakewood 50/50 shocks... they work, n cheap too!
Old 07-02-2014, 12:01 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
Will do, Kyle.

I have LCAs with Poly Joints and LCA Relo brackets, the BMR adjustable full length TA, and the relo crossmember (currently set to 4th from the bottom) with the LCAs set on the bottom with the BMR lowering springs. I have Nitto NT05R 315 DRs on the back... I'm hoping for 1.6x with that setup @ 14 PSI in the tires.
With those tires you will probably want run a little more pressure in the tires than that. As long as the track is prepped decently I don't see any reason why you can achieve a 1.6X 60ft times out of the car.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kyle, I am running a 2002 CETA. Its a full weight car with a Strange S-60 and a bunch of BMR stuff under the rear, LCA's, torque arm,sway bar and PHB. It sits on 295/55/15 Mickey Thompson's and all stock springs/shocks. Its a H/C/I car, I am already hitting 1.6X60ft but thats with little or no weight transfer and depending on the track still a little bit of wheel hop. I want to get that front end up at the track, I am not concerned with street manners that much(no front sway bar,detroit locker,rod ends on my BMR stuff) so noise/harshness is not an issue. I do like Strange products and have heard good things about the QA1 stuff(and obviously BMR products), can you recommend a Drag race set up for me.

Note: also, A/C delete car. Thanks
Old 07-11-2014, 02:36 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by dude292
Kyle, I am running a 2002 CETA. Its a full weight car with a Strange S-60 and a bunch of BMR stuff under the rear, LCA's, torque arm,sway bar and PHB. It sits on 295/55/15 Mickey Thompson's and all stock springs/shocks. Its a H/C/I car, I am already hitting 1.6X60ft but thats with little or no weight transfer and depending on the track still a little bit of wheel hop. I want to get that front end up at the track, I am not concerned with street manners that much(no front sway bar,detroit locker,rod ends on my BMR stuff) so noise/harshness is not an issue. I do like Strange products and have heard good things about the QA1 stuff(and obviously BMR products), can you recommend a Drag race set up for me.

Note: also, A/C delete car. Thanks
What transmission are you running in the car? I assume with those 60ft times it is probably an automatic transmission of some sort. If that is the case I would really recommend going with Strange single adjustable all the way around with a 300lb front coil-over springs. If you want double adjustables then I would look at the Viking Performance stuff because it is really hard to beat for the money and offers the best value when it comes to double adjustable shocks. If you wants something a little cheaper than I would run the Strange single adjustable shocks up front with 300lb coil-over springs and run the Competition Engineering 3 way adjustable rear drag shocks. These three combinations will be much better than the factory parts you are currently working with and give you some options depending on your budget.

You will definitely see a drastic improvement in weight transfer and wheel hop when you upgrade the shocks. If you have any other question or if there is something we can help you with don't hesitate to shoot me a PM or give me a call.

Kyle

Old 07-12-2014, 05:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Kyle, and yes its a 4L60E with a Yank 4000 behind it. I will give you a call next week.

Quick Reply: Stock vs Bilstein shocks, which are better for drag