Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Confused as to coilover packages offered here (Viking)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 11:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Confused as to coilover packages offered here (Viking)

Quite a few of the vendors on here are offering 15% off on Viking coilover setups- great!

But it seems like everyone has a different package.. I'm looking for the fully adjustable street/ autox DA setup with relocated rears.

UMI advertised their 2048 and 2046-xxx kits which are 10% off for a total of $1273 with 2 thrust bearing kits and 1 spanner wrench. (Which insinuates there are some UMI specific components in there).

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...roducts_id=913

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...roducts_id=783

But you go onto the site without using the black friday links and you only have the non adjustable rear Viking setup:

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...roducts_id=744

BMR has this package for $1155 with bearing kits and 2 wrenches:

http://bmrsuspension.com/?page=produ...455&superpro=0

WS6store has the same kits BMR does (I think?) for $1040

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=7287

What I'm confused about.. UMI's site offers the most detail on the kit, but they're the only ones that mention the front kit having this feature: Fabricated upper mount saves cost by replacing rust-prone GM rubber upper shock mount. Are all Viking kits the same in this regard? Also will I be good to go with this setup and using a set of Strano hollow swaybars? Thank you and I hope everyone had a great thanksgiving!
Old 11-27-2015, 07:12 AM
FormerVendor

We offer coil-over set ups for both front and rear

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...roducts_id=744

This is just a kit we offer that is front coil-over only with smooth body rear shocks.

The kits you mentioned above have UMI specific brackets that we manufacture.

I am in the office today if you want to give me a call to discuss what your application for the car is and what spring rates would work best for you.

There will be no issues using Strano Bars.

Craig
Old 11-27-2015, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

To answer your question, no, not all kits replace the front upper mount. But if you've ever taken the front struts out, the rust isn't so bad. A little rtv on the top will prevent issues. I bought from ws6store during the sale, I believe they use bmr brackets but that's just speculation.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:47 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
To answer your question, no, not all kits replace the front upper mount. But if you've ever taken the front struts out, the rust isn't so bad. A little rtv on the top will prevent issues. I bought from ws6store during the sale, I believe they use bmr brackets but that's just speculation.
If you ordered from WS6 those would be UMI brackets.

You have to order that specific kit to recieve that style bracket,Viking also sells a kit that uses the stock style mount.

Craig
Old 11-27-2015, 08:57 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nitroheadz28

What I'm confused about.. UMI's site offers the most detail on the kit, but they're the only ones that mention the front kit having this feature: Fabricated upper mount saves cost by replacing rust-prone GM rubber upper shock mount. Are all Viking kits the same in this regard? Also will I be good to go with this setup and using a set of Strano hollow swaybars? Thank you and I hope everyone had a great thanksgiving!
No, not all kits are the same. This kit is P/N 2048 and is fully designed by UMI and only offered by UMI and UMI dealers, we built a bracket to remove the rubber mount.... the other kits for less still use the upper rubber mount and poly at the bottom. Basically we designed the kit and just use Viking shocks in it, we can also use Afco or QA1 if something is desired. Any 4 digit part # like 2046-xxx or 2048-xxx is a UMI only part #, this means that kit is designed and fabricated by UMI and can't be purchased through our competitors. We run different shock lengths and spring rates as well.

I know it all seems confusing, the Viking line has kind of got out of hand with everyone try to sell it and not knowing it very well. UMI was one of Viking's first dealers and we have even done testing and development for them. So talk us for the best help.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-27-2015, 08:59 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is the link to the kit that removes the rubber upper strut mount, it then replaces it with a fabricated upper mount designed by UMI. The shock is then bearing to bearing... eliminating the poly at the bottom as well. This is a true style racing kit and for hard driving.

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...roducts_id=913
Old 11-27-2015, 03:55 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quite a few of the vendors on here are offering 15% off on Viking coilover setups- great!

But it seems like everyone has a different package.. I'm looking for the fully adjustable street/ autox DA setup with relocated rears.

The factory car uses studs on both upper mounts. We can do the Viking shocks in either the OEM stud type upper mount or convert the upper mount to a bearing and clevis on any shock in any location. The rear lower mount must be converted from a single stud to a clevis mount to safely support the weight of the car and move the adjuster ***** away from the sway bar.

The advantage of the spherical bearing and clevis type mounting system is to remove any possibility of bind of the shock within the suspension travel. The drawback is the solid mounting system will transmit more NVH vs the OEM rubber isolated mounts.

Mounting the front shock by using the OEM rubber mount will require replacement of the mounts and isolators, or disassembling the existing mounts which are usually a bit rusty and worn. Removal of the existing mounts will also require the use of a spring compressor to safely disassemble the shock/spring/mount. Aftermarket replacement mount parts is usually around 175.00, but much easier to do then messing with a spring compressor and then still reusing old worn mounts.

Give us a call... we have been doing coil-over conversions for a very long time on these car and many others. We also have 15% off sales prices for the holiday promotions, great customer service, and the best tech help available!

Last edited by ssvert99; 11-27-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Also will I be good to go with this setup and using a set of Strano hollow swaybars?
yes, I have strano bars with the full Viking coilover setup and no issues. handles awesome on the street but have yet to try the setup out on a road course, hopefully next summer
Old 11-30-2015, 12:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the Viking front and rear coilover setup utilizing the stock stud type upper mount and I've been nothing but pleased. The install was pretty easy. I opted to buy new upper mounts and isolator because I figured the stock ones were seized and I didn't feel like messing with a spring compressor. Going that route was very easy and it didn't cost me much. What I like about the Viking coilover setup is the ability to adjust ride height, as well as the ability to dial in the compression and rebound on all 4 corners. If you want to set the car up for 100% kill on the track, then adjust accordingly. If you want to drive the car back home after killing it at the track, then make the adjustments and drive it home. With these coilovers, you can set the car up for whatever you'd like. The guys at Midwest Chassis were very helpful and they were who I ordered my setup from. They have a ton on knowledge and can hook you up with a product you're going to love.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To add onto this question, how are these 2 any different? They even use the same pictures.

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=6231

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=7290

Quick Reply: Confused as to coilover packages offered here (Viking)