Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Viking coilovers for C5 vette?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 06:15 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Viking coilovers for C5 vette?

I know some vendors here sell and are familiar with Viking products. So...what would you guys suggest for a C5 zo6 to help plant 800+ rwhp? I'm only concerned with non prep runways and roll racing.

The Viking shocks have quite the range for adjusting so I really like that feature. I'm not sure though on what rate springs I should consider for the front and back?

Wheel and tire setup will be 18" MT 345/35-18 drag radials, but I may move to a 15" 275 pro radial.

Suggestions?
Old 09-01-2016, 07:17 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Novistar
I know some vendors here sell and are familiar with Viking products. So...what would you guys suggest for a C5 zo6 to help plant 800+ rwhp? I'm only concerned with non prep runways and roll racing.

The Viking shocks have quite the range for adjusting so I really like that feature. I'm not sure though on what rate springs I should consider for the front and back?

Wheel and tire setup will be 18" MT 345/35-18 drag radials, but I may move to a 15" 275 pro radial.

Suggestions?
With that horsepower the Crusader shock with "AM" valving would would be the best choice for the rear. Chances are the warrior shock will suffice for the front.

The crusader shocks have over 3 times the rebound force which will be needed to hold the car down in the rear.

As far as spring rates go it comes down to what you are trying to achieve and the application of your car, street-vs-strip.

Normal C5 spring rates would be 400 front and 500 rear. Typically in a higher HP application like that, we'd go with something like a 600 in the rear, just to minimize squat since it's an IRS car and when they squat they gain negative camber, which isn't helpful in terms of hooking up.

If you need any info or pricing or want to discuss what spring rates will work best for your application feel free to give me a call here at the shop.

Last edited by UMI Sales; 09-01-2016 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:46 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

We have had cars in the 1.teen sixty with the standard warrior shock so they are a very capable shock although I agree with Umi the crusader might be a better choice for you.

As far spring go 400 front and 500 rears is the normal rate for those cars but you could go lower on the rear depending on how much squat you want. Feel free to give us a call if you have any questions.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:11 AM
Teching In

Appreciate the feedback guys.

Checking out the Viking catalog for my application (600+ drag) it list part# VRV395AM-700K
I'm assuming the 700 refers to the spring rate, but not sure if it's front or back? Can you clarify the spring rates for that part# and if you think it is too much?

Thanks
Old 09-01-2016, 09:25 AM
FormerVendor

Appreciate the feedback guys.

Checking out the Viking catalog for my application (600+ drag) it list part# VRV395AM-700K
I'm assuming the 700 refers to the spring rate, but not sure if it's front or back? Can you clarify the spring rates for that part# and if you think it is too much?

Thanks
That would be the Viking part number for the rear coil-over kit with crusader AM valving with 700LB springs and would include spanner wrench and thrust bearings.

Thats what our customers with cars similar to your's have used with good success. Like eric mentioned in his reply some guys need a softer rear spring if they need more squat.

Is your car still factory weight?

Craig
Old 09-01-2016, 10:11 AM
Teching In

Yes...maybe an additional 80lbs with the front intercooler and blower.
That part# is for a full set of coilovers front and back correct?
What would be the front spring rate?
Old 09-01-2016, 10:33 AM
FormerVendor

Yes...maybe an additional 80lbs with the front intercooler and blower.
That part# is for a full set of coilovers front and back correct?
What would be the front spring rate?
That part number is for rear coil-overs only.

The front's with the warrior shocks would be A228-400K. The "K" makes it a kit with spanner wrenches and thrust bearings.

Craig
Old 09-01-2016, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Thanks Craig.

I made a booboo on the part# was suppose to be VCV328DH-500 which is the full coilover kit.
Does that kit include the Crusader shocks and what would be the spring rates?

Thanks
Old 09-01-2016, 12:36 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks Craig.

I made a booboo on the part# was suppose to be VCV328DH-500 which is the full coilover kit.
Does that kit include the Crusader shocks and what would be the spring rates?

Thanks
That part# would be Crusader shocks with "AP" Valving on the front, "AM" Valving on the rear.

500Lb front spring rate and 700Lb rear.

Craig
Old 09-01-2016, 12:55 PM
Teching In

Please PM a price shipped to 14303

Thank you
Old 10-09-2017, 03:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Resurrecting an old thread:

I'm trying to decide on springs/shocks for my manual 2004 C5. The car is currently 100% stock. It is my daily driver and my goal is to have a really enjoyable, sporty car that is fun to drive (stiff enough to remain flat and not pitch/roll/dive). I'm not looking to go out an race it, just drive it.

I am going to be adding a pair of C6Z51 sway bars and had planned to get C5Z06 springs and C6Z06 shocks until someone suggested Viking coilovers. I'd never heard of these before today, but reading some posts on here people seem happy with them (one guy was even removing a set of LG G2 coilovers, which seems crazy to me having had them on an F-body).

Thoughts/input?
Old 10-09-2017, 04:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
Resurrecting an old thread:

I'm trying to decide on springs/shocks for my manual 2004 C5. The car is currently 100% stock. It is my daily driver and my goal is to have a really enjoyable, sporty car that is fun to drive (stiff enough to remain flat and not pitch/roll/dive). I'm not looking to go out an race it, just drive it.

I am going to be adding a pair of C6Z51 sway bars and had planned to get C5Z06 springs and C6Z06 shocks until someone suggested Viking coilovers. I'd never heard of these before today, but reading some posts on here people seem happy with them (one guy was even removing a set of LG G2 coilovers, which seems crazy to me having had them on an F-body).

Thoughts/input?
i would absolutely not put on a non-gas charged drag shock for handing, ride or daily driving use.
If there was a guy who supposedly swapped LG coilovers for vikings then he must have either been going for a drag build, paid to do it, or not know what he was doing.
Stick with c6 z06 shocks, or if you want coilovers there are a ton better ones out there.

Last edited by JD_AMG; 10-09-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
i would absolutely not put on a non-gas charged drag shock for handing, ride or daily driving use.
If there was a guy who supposedly swapped LG coilovers for vikings then he must have either been going for a drag build, paid to do it, or not know what he was doing.
Stick with c6 z06 shocks, or if you want coilovers there are a ton better ones out there.

That's what I needed to know. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

If you are trying to hit the "compromise" in ride and handling. My suggestion is to get a good aftermarket shock, (my budget always goes Koni Sports) keep your stock springs, and get a stiffer set of sways than stock. Maybe T1 sways. In my opinion, softer springs and stiffer sways seems to offer the smoothest, yet flattest ride on the street. Track is different, springs are more important.

Quick Reply: Viking coilovers for C5 vette?