Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brakes squealing while driving...dammit

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 12:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes squealing while driving...dammit

Let me begin by saying that my front driver's side brake rotor is warped and I'm getting it replaced on monday. It started yesterday, and the squealing is definitely coming from that rotor. The odd thing is, it only happens while i'm driving (not while hitting the brakes), mostly if I'm following a road that winds to the right. Turning the wheel to the left won't make the sound. It also happens when I'm hitting the brakes while going in reverse, but not while going forward. I know it's most likely the warped rotor, but does anyone have any idea what it could be rubbing up against? I'm just worried the caliper might have to be replaced. Any ideas guys?

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2004, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

The pads have a brass feeler that's suposed to touch the rotor and squeel to let you know when the pads are worn. When you hit the brakes, it stops squeeling. They tend not to squeel in reverse. It may be touching. If you don't need brakes, then bend it away from the rotor slightly to make it stop squeeling.
Old 06-25-2004, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the advice technical, I was starting to stress out (OCD kicking in )
Old 06-26-2004, 02:47 AM
Staging Lane

Default brake squeeling

Your rotor may be warped, but the squeeling may be totally unrelated.
STEP 1: Visually inspect your pads. You mention the sounds are more audible when brake pressure is NOT applied. That would indicate to me, that you need some LOVE JUICE, or anti-squeel plates, on the backs of your pads.

The pads on the PBR 2 piston calipers (2 pistons on same side w/floater bracket) ALWAYS make contact w/rotor, even when brake pedal is not applied. Since you hear the noise when pedal is NOT depressed, that would indicate the pads have lots of meat, but you need some anti-squeel on the backs of your pads. Good Luck!
Old 06-26-2004, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the advice Slider, I'm going to have to check that out! If this is the case, where would I be able to get anti-squeel plates. And are they expensive?
Old 06-26-2004, 10:56 AM
Staging Lane

I should have said "anti-squeel plates or lube". Go to any auto store, and ask them for anti-squeel lube. Should be $1 for a little packet. With your pads out of caliper, carefully put the lube on the backs of pads, let the lube dry for 5 minutes, then reinstall. Make sure lube doesn't touch meat that contacts the rotor surface -- if it does, make sure you liberally spray brake cleaner on your rotor and pad surface. Good luck!
Old 08-25-2004, 04:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

My brakes are doing the same thing. I just said screw it and went and bought new rotors, pads, and I'm getting calipers. My back brakes are the ones that came on it and they aren't the ones giving me problems.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ZR2877
My brakes are doing the same thing. I just said screw it and went and bought new rotors, pads, and I'm getting calipers. My back brakes are the ones that came on it and they aren't the ones giving me problems.
On both my 99' Bird and my 01' TA I changed the stock rotors and pads for Hawke pads and slotted rotors. On both cars the stock rotrs warped, front on the 99' Bird and Rear on the 01' TA.

Since I have changed the rotors and pads I have had no warping and a much firmer brake pedal and would swear I am stopping better as well.

However, I did not do the Calipers. Partlty because of the expense and partly because the stock have not given me any problems.

Good luck with your brakes
Old 08-25-2005, 12:01 PM
Launching!

My car does the same frickin' thing! I'm about to go out and just buy whole new front calipers.

I was initially having problems with my car squealing very badly when coming to a stop (new pads/rotors). After I smeared some caliper lube on the backsides of the pads I no longer had this problem. Shortly thereafter, however, my car would squeal while driving along until I would get over 35 mph or so...it's still doing it. I did notice that some of the slider pins feel like they're "hanging up" when I slide them in and out of the caliper by hand. I put a ton of grease on the pins as well. Could this be the root of my problem perhaps? Maybe the caliper is "hanging up" on one of the slider obstructions and causing slight pad to rotor contact thus causing squealing while driving? I have some of that sticky, messy, caliper anti-squeal stuff...do you guys think that might work? If that doesn't work I'm just going to say "**** it" and go buy new calipers. I just rebuilt the damn things too.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:05 PM
Launching!

Oh wait...I just realized that this thread is over a year old. Maybe I should start a new one.

Quick Reply: Brakes squealing while driving...dammit