Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Installed K-member... loud clunk!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 02:56 PM
Fiery Features Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installed K-member... loud clunk!

After we installed the new motor and k-member, I noticed a clunking sound. At first the clunking sound would only come about when I was making a turn. Now the sound is more frequent and definately getting louder. The clunking sounds like metal to metal and happens at no particular time. The sound is really bad when I hit a bump, come to an abrupt stop or while I turn. The car has been put on a lift and all the suspension has been checked and double checked. Nothing appears to be loose. The bushings were changed, but they also appear to be all the way in. Could they be moving around? Has anyone else experienced this problem or can you offer any suggestions? Is there something that I am missing?
Old 07-23-2004, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

it sounds like somethings not tightened very well, thats usually the same sound you hear when the swaybar hasnt been tightened or if the front bushing mount is broken
Old 07-24-2004, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

I have the same problem and all my bolts are tight. I think I have mine narrowed down to the control arm camber bushing on my car, but you said that you have changed all your bushings. So I have no clue what it could be.
Old 07-24-2004, 06:02 PM
wrencher

Originally Posted by felton316
I have the same problem and all my bolts are tight. I think I have mine narrowed down to the control arm camber bushing on my car, but you said that you have changed all your bushings. So I have no clue what it could be.
Exactly what I was gonna say, sure one of the control arms is not contacting the K-member somewhere?
Old 07-24-2004, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Check the control arm travel with the strut disconnected, that should show you if something is hitting. If it only happened while turning, I'd say the outer tie rod was smacking something.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

i bet i know what it is. i had the same exact problem almost word for word. one or more of the k-member bolts has bottomed out and is not keeping the k-member tight, thus it is shifting slightly. my clunk came more with very quick short stops. after looking at the k-member we noticed around some of the bolt housings were it meets the unibody the powercoating was chipping off.. check it out and keep us up dated
Old 07-24-2004, 10:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

K-member also means your exhaust had to be
rehung, probably the most common "clunker".
Old 07-24-2004, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

I'm like

I'd get it in the air pull the spring and shock and try to rock your suspension around manually looking for the slack.

Untill you figure it out just think happy thoughts like how that is one of the nices signature pictures I have seen here...
Old 07-24-2004, 10:44 PM
TECH Resident

i forgot to mention that on "my" car some of the bolts holding the kmember were slightly different in length and my kmember is a tubular so my mounts were also thinner than stock
Old 07-25-2004, 11:20 AM
Fiery Features Director

Thanks for the suggestions... I'll check it out and see what I can find (if anything). My k-member is also a BMR Tubular...
Old 07-25-2004, 10:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

If is is a loud popping sound you need to grease the ball joints. I had the same problem with my BMR K-member. Took it to the body shop and told them it sounded like it was falling apart and they greased the ball joints up some more and it stopped. Havent had a problem since then. Justin

Quick Reply: Installed K-member... loud clunk!