Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
View Poll Results: Happy with SLP Bilsteins?
Yes
80.85%
No
19.15%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Satisfied with SLP Bilsteins?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 05:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Satisfied with SLP Bilsteins?

Just wanting to find out first hand from people with SLP Bilstein shocks if they are happy with them or wish they had gone a different direction.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:28 AM
TECH Addict

i am currently looking into the SLP spring and shock kit that sam strano sells, it is a 3/4 drop which is just what i want so i would like to know also, please post up people
Old 12-30-2007, 05:33 AM
Staging Lane

i keep reading post and am getting turned away from Bilsteins. Its all about konis but dang they cost a butt ton. Ive got Vogtland 1.2" lowering springs coming and i really need to figure something out. Ive tried asking Sam Strano but havent heard from him yet. What he says ill probably go with.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:48 AM
TECH Resident

you will come across a lot of ppl that don't like them. i do, and i know their quite a few other ppl that like them too. i will agree that koni's would be a lot better but im happy with what i have..
Old 12-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 02silvaZ
i am currently looking into the SLP spring and shock kit that sam strano sells, it is a 3/4 drop which is just what i want so i would like to know also, please post up people
Do you have access to any Trans Am pics with this very kit???

Thanks in advance
Old 12-30-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NotthisSS
Just wanting to find out first hand from people with SLP Bilstein shocks if they are happy with them or wish they had gone a different direction.
I read your other post just now about you going to the n-ring all the time. Definitely pick up some Koni SA's, you can fine tune them to your liking, you will not regret it, especially on our solid-rear-axle cars.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

thats what everyone keeps telling me. i just bought the koni 3rd gen shocks for the rear off tirerack.com for 160.00 shipped. couldnt believe it. same part number and all. even called them to make sure.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

thats what everyone keeps telling me. i just bought the koni 3rd gen shocks for the rear off tirerack.com for 160.00 shipped. couldnt believe it. same part number and all. even called them to make sure.
not bad at all, now buy the fronts
Old 12-30-2007, 06:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm OK with the SLP Bilstein fronts. They feel OK, good (or
good enough for me) control and tolerable ride. The rears,
they are just regular Bilstein rears and I found the ride was
unpleasantly hard especially with the Hotchkiss rear springs
(since gone, both of them - happier with stock minus donut
and the Gabriel air shocks by far).

Since you don't really know what you want, you want shocks
that will let you change your mind ad infinitum - adjustable.

Last edited by jimmyblue; 12-31-2007 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

You guys have to do better research. PLEASE! There are *two* 3rd gen rear shocks by Koni. They carry the same part number one with Sport added to the end. For that price I'm sure you got Specials, which is not what I use. Yeah they're Koni's.... but a Chevy had two 'vettes too. Chevette and Corvette. And fwiw, I don't always use 3rd gen rears, more normally its' the 4th gen rear becauase you have much easier and more adjustment.

As for the springs you bought. Well, my springs are made by Vogtland. But my springs are NOT the same as Vogtlands, and are actually quite different in rate and ride height. If what you bought was any good, I'd have used them instead of spending a lot of money to have them make me specific springs and had my name stamped on them like most folks who have their own springs do.

Finally shocks are spring dampers... you bought softer shocks, with even stiffer rear springs than I use. In short you tried to cobble together things you've seen, but didn't have the detail to team up the parts correctly. This is the reason why I insist on speaking to potential customers first because there is always some sort of assumption or mis-understanding about parts.

I can't work 24/7. And I'm normally quite happy to answer questions. But honestly here we have a situation where you are either impatient and couldn't wait and would risk getting the wrong thing. Or you were price shopping alone and that makes me wonder if the answers I give are worth my time. Frankly, you didn't save anything @ TireRack, the 3rd gen's I use are the same price there as I sell them for, but I would have NOT sold you other ones in the first place.

I'm happy to help, you need to meet me halfway. You can't say "I asked Sam" and then do things that make me wonder if it's worth my time to answer. I don't want a guaranteed sale, but I do run a business and I don't like wasting my time or having people use my knowledge to buy parts elsewhere for anywhere near the same price. If my pricing was way out of line I'd expect to do little business. But I work hard to make sure the pricing is fair, and I offer the tech on top of it. Others can't do that. You can get the pricing, but not the information and I think that's a value build into the sale for same price.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Last edited by Sam Strano; 12-31-2007 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I forgot to add something: This started with asking about SLP shocks. Well, they are out too thanks to Bilstein not having anything to build with. And even if they weren't they were never meant to be on with springs like what you bought.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-31-2007, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

Sam,
I figured that one out. I called tire rack cancelled my order, and then called your mother. You must have wrote this before talking to her. I realize i dont know what going on and thats why i have tried talking to you but i realize it is the holiday season. I never once said in my post that i had talked to you. If you read 9 post ^^^^ then you will see I said that I had been trying to talk to you but had not had the chance yet, so never did i drop the line "i talked to sam." I only have springs and thats it. Your mother explained to me about the Vogtlands but I bought them from another LS1tech guy and Im not going to be shady and back out of the deal. I didnt even know about you when I purchased them. All I ask is that you help me with what to do now. You have my buisness and my recommendations. So as of right now i sit with a stock suspension 2000 T/A and a set of Vogtland springs. I would like to atleast try them since i bought them but if you say they are that awful i can go with your stranos. I just ask that you please help me out with this b/c you are right, i do want to do this right so im taking the first correct step and asking you for your help and promise you WILL get my buisness.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:32 AM
Staging Lane

Any help Sam? Got the money in the bank now for whichever shocks, just would like your opinion to know what to order. Please.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:09 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Shocks are not something that's easy to recommend without talking to the customer. Koni's rock, which is why I always try and use those first. Anything less means you give up something. It's just a matter of what you are giving up. There are a lot of options, but frankly not many good ones.

Because of the Vogtland springs and the high rear rate, and since it seems Koni's are out at all 4 corners, that I'd have to recommend a set of AGX's. http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7
They have plenty of outright damping to control the spring rate, there are two reasons I don't find them ideal. The adjuster drags compression along with the rebound changes, and that makes for a much more flinty ride. And the shock doesn't deal with sharp bumps/high piston speed impacts nearly as well as the Koni's. Ok, there's a third reason--they aren't built as well. You will more likely have an AGX issue than a Koni one. Not to say they'll definitely fail, or anything, but overall they are built to a price and if you break a Koni the warranty is much less hassle than with a KYB.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:20 AM
Staging Lane

What do you mean by the koni's are out at all 4 corners?
Old 01-02-2008, 09:32 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The Koni's you bought.... are they specials? Specials aren't what we want back there. You could get Sport rears and AGX fronts if you want, but really I hate mixing and matching like that because you just have two different philosophies on dampers, one at each end. I'd prefer to say with one brand all around in most cases.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:34 AM
Staging Lane

I cancelled the order on those. I figured it out and called tirerack. I can afford whatever you think is best. i am deployed, moved some money around and can get whichever shocks.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:33 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Koni Sports are the best, if you can swing them they are what you want. Then it's a matter of deciding 4/3's or 4/4's. 4/4's offer the most flexibility, but that costs you more money.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:40 AM
Staging Lane

Is that extra flexibility worth the money?
Old 01-02-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Is that extra flexibility worth the money?
It was for me. It depends on what your future plans are. I knew when I bought shocks that I would eventually upgrade to a beefier (and heavier) rearend. With that in mind, I spent the extra money (I think it was $100) for the 4/4 setup over the 4/3 setup. When I got the new rearend, the whole car became something of an unwieldy beast. After tweaking both the front and rear shock settings (and spending some seat time in it), I was able to get the car handling the way I wanted to again.

-Mike

Quick Reply: Satisfied with SLP Bilsteins?