Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Not familiar with rear Koni's

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 06:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not familiar with rear Koni's

I bought a pair of used Koni's, rear single adjustables. I don't have the fronts yet, still saving up for those. But anyways... Everything I've read about Koni's I hear how they're stiffer then stock shocks, even on the softest setting. Also that they "click" when adjusting them. But mine don't click, it just has a smooth adjustment is that normal? They do stop with what seems like how they're supposed to. Also when I compared them to my old stock shocks (with 80,000 mi on 'em) the koni's seemed a lot softer, even in their hardest setting. They didn't seem worn or shot, but just softer then my stockers. Is this normal? If they do need rebuilt or whatever is the warranty still valid for me even though I bought them used?

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2008, 06:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Which style of shocks did you get, the 3rd-gen or 4th-gen style? Do they have the button that you push and hold, then turn the whole piston by hand? Or is there a window that you use something small like an allen key to poke through and turn just the stem, 1 "sweep" at a time??

The 3rd-gen style should have 4 "clicks" to it. The 4th-gen has (if I'm not mistaken) about ~8 "sweeps", and there won't be a click.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:22 AM
TECH Resident

um.. I don't either of those you're describing. But I think you may be talking about the front shocks? I don't have the fronts just the rears but they're adjusted from inside the car behind the rear seat. There's part sticking out the very top of the shock that's flat and you slip a **** onto it to turn it. It doesn't click at all either just a smooth spinning operation, but it does stop after 5 or 6 full turns? can't remember exactly but it's close to that.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:23 AM
TECH Resident

oh they're part number 8241 1140
Old 05-17-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Junkie

There's more to shocks than just soft or stiff. Shocks have different compression and rebound valving. A problem with a lot of aftermarket shocks for our car is they have more compression than they need and not enough rebound. Koni SA's are adjustable on rebound and have a set compression.

Now don't quote me on this, but I thought that Konis have a lower compression than a lot of aftermarket shocks. In a dumbed down way of explaining it, it allows the spring to do its job better and then you can adjust rebound as you like, which on the konis gives you more than enough rebound for lots of spring types. That makes not only handling better but ride quality better as well

Sometime I'd like to make a chart if I can ever get my hands on compression and rebound specs on the various shocks available.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by camaroguy26
um.. I think you may be talking about the front shocks? I don't have the fronts just the rears but they're adjusted from inside the car behind the rear seat. There's part sticking out the very top of the shock that's flat and you slip a **** onto it to turn it.
Ok, those must be the 4th-gen REAR Koni SA's . Sorry, the method I described about the little "window" and using the allen key, that's for the fronts . However, the 3rd-gen rears are not adjustable on the car, and they're the ones with a button, and only 4 positions. They will "click" at each position. Sounds like the 4th-gen rears that you have are like the fronts ... there's probably not supposed to be a click to indicate each position? (but maybe I'm wrong???)
Old 05-17-2008, 11:36 AM
TECH Junkie

I couldn't find 8241 1140. I saw that 8241 1130 was the 3rd gen ones and 8241 1139 was the 4th gen ones. I would guess he has the 4th gen ones... but I don't know for sure...
Old 05-17-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

yeah the 8241 1139 are 4th gen fronts then and the 8241 1140 are 4th gen rears. But thanks for all the help. I just wasn't sure since I hear about them actually clicking but mine don't, maybe it's just the fronts that click. And I thought the adjustment was for compression, that's where I was confused mostly. Now that I know I'll have to start toying with them for the right rebound I want.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:58 PM
TECH Junkie

No the adjustment is for rebound. Compression stays the same on Konis throughout the range adjustments
Old 05-17-2008, 01:29 PM
12 Second Club

The 4th gen Koni rears absolutely DO NOT click with the rebound adjustment!!!!
It is just the smooth rotational adjustment with the supplied **** as you've descibed.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:50 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That might be my next mod. Roads are absolutely terrible around me. How long do these shocks last?
Old 05-18-2008, 12:03 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Dom
That might be my next mod. Roads are absolutely terrible around me. How long do these shocks last?
Dunno but they've got warranty on them to be rebuilt or replaced.

Thanks guys, Helps me out a lot!
Old 05-19-2008, 01:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dom
I have close to 100K miles on mine (DA front, 4th gen SAs rear), with NO; leaks, problems, deterioration of performance, etc. at all.

Sam has cars with MUCH more mileage than this with no problems, and his miles are MUCH harder than my miles (A LOT of; autocrossing, road racing, time trialing, HPDE, etc. as well as hard street use!).
Old 05-19-2008, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

If you have the original proof of purchase-> life time warrantee for that car. Can't beat that.

Quick Reply: Not familiar with rear Koni's