Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Wheel hop in reverse.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Wheel hop in reverse.

I got in a dig race a while back and started to wheel hop real bad but didn't get out of it cause I wasn't going to loose to this punk kid. Today I got pissed at my wife and goosed it in reverse just a little and wheel hopped so bad it felt like I was going to shoot the rearend through the back seats. What's causing this. I haven't been under the car to look yet but i'm going to guess TA bushings, I don't know. Anybody know what I should look at when I get under there?
Old 06-12-2008, 12:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guessing the suspension wasnt designed to operate under heavy load in reverse..
Old 06-12-2008, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea...suspension is designed to keep the load down in forward gears, the suspension geometry can't work both ways so don't get on it in reverse
Old 06-12-2008, 12:30 AM
Launching!

Get under your car look for her sweet spot give it a rub, and pending how hard you took your frustrations out on her, give it a kiss. Then apologize. Just cause you can't beat the **** out of one girl don't take it out on the other.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

O.k you caught me! I've been racing in reverse to make it fair for everyone else. What would I have damaged wheel hopping that would make the car do it in reverse when I back out of a parking spot not trying to roast em, but backing agressively? I want to fix the problem, not drive my car like it's on egg shells.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:34 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

You are going to have to start adding a few suspension components in order to cur the wheel hop. I recommend a set of control arms and a set of control arm relocation brackets seen in the link below. These items would be the first start to curring your wheel hop.

www.umiperformance.com/2015

www.umiperformance.com/2012

If you have any questions please ask and I am glad to help.

Thank you!
Ryan
Old 06-12-2008, 06:57 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I had stock shocks I would occasionally get wheel hop so bad that I actually rattled the balance weights off the rear wheels once.

Aftermarket control arms didn't fix it (and are now no longer on the car).

Stock take off replacement shocks didn't fix it.

The pre-screwed up valving Bilsteins (and now Koni's) did.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wheel hop in reverse is caused by the same exact thing that causes wheel hop under braking. Suspension design. Lower control arms help. Better shocks help. A shorter torque arm helps only on accelleration, and will hurt on reverse and braking. A longer torque arm hurts accelleration and helps on braking.

If you want straight line traction, you won't be able to do reverse burnouts.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:19 PM
11 Second Club

Heh...i think we missed the point of his post, hes not wanting to eliminate it, just wondering if he hurt anything. Its doubtful, if its running normal, no new creaks or rattles. Then your fine
Old 06-13-2008, 04:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I did something similar goin in reverse it actually cracked my stock posi housing & then I finished it off at the track not knowing it was already damaged that bad. Are you getting any new vibration or sounds from back there?
Old 06-13-2008, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your car's an M6 right? I don't know why there is a difference but when I had my LT1 A4 I could roast them in reverse any time I wanted to and never any wheel hop but any time I have tried to get on it in reverse in my 01 M6 the tranny feels like it's gonna come up through the console!
Old 06-13-2008, 04:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Who wants to drive aggressively in reverse anyway???
Old 06-13-2008, 05:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That was my question??!!
Old 06-13-2008, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm NOT wanting to drive agressivly in reverse. Let me say it like this, I wheel hopped it real bad racing. Before the said race I could go in reverse without wheel hop. I don't beat on my car in reverse for ***** and giggles. If I were in a parking lot at the local mall and granny Grand Marquis was about to pull right in to the front of my car I would wheel hop getting out of the way. I wheel hop in reverse WITHOUT breaking traction. All I want to know is what to look for as far as damage goes when I get under the car. Thanks in advance for any intelligent response you might want to leave. M6 if it matters.

Last edited by Iron Head; 06-13-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

I'd take a look at the shocks, the lower control arm bushings, and I'd also make sure the 2 big bolts that hold the torque arm to the center section are still torqued properly. If it's hopping in reverse when you're not being an idiot, then it sounds like something is loose, or a shock isn't even connected to the axle or car anymore. You MIGHT already have some damage to something from the bad hop you had when racing that other time though, and the hopping in reverse might just be a symptom of a damaged bearing, or gear, or carrier, or bent axle...try launching JUST hard enough to not hop the rear, then rip it through 4 gears REAL hard (if it starts hopping, pedal it to make it stop and get right back in the throttle) and see if you blow the axle up...if you do, it was probably already damaged to begin with.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:03 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry man, I jumped on that one. Intelligent response - the post above this one has great tips. I get chatter real bad in reverse that feels like wheel hop; it's my clutch. Check out everything under the car (I'm sure you planned that for the weekend) and Ryan is a good guy to discuss options with.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just crawled out from under it. TA bushing is blown all to ****! Thanks for the help fellas.

Quick Reply: Wheel hop in reverse.