Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front Upper Ball Joint Replacement, help!

Old 06-12-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front Upper Ball Joint Replacement, help!

I need to know how to replace the upper ball joint on the upper control arm. I stripped the bolt when taking the spindle off (righty tighty, lefty loosy remember that), and it appears that I need to have the lord himself come over to get the d8mn rivets off of this thing so that I can bolt up the replacement ball joint. I was doing a suspension swap, and my car is on jackstands and I need to get it back on the ground where it belongs. Should I buy a whole new upper control arm assembly with a ball joint already attached(and I dont want a hardcore aftermarket one that is $1,000,000), or am I stuck trying to grind all he(( away until I can actually get the old one out and just replace the ball joint itself? Please let me know.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

Grind off the 3 rivets and the new one will be a bolt on replacement. $38

http://www.autozone.com/R,APP377295/...ductDetail.htm

Or a pair for $38 shipped
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-20...spagenameZWD1V

Last edited by djsanchez2; 06-12-2008 at 10:54 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
Grind off the 3 rivets and the new one will be a bolt on replacement........

What he said......

Keep in mind, you're replacing the original BJ with a new one, so it absolutely doesn't matter how badly you butcher the retaining nut, rivets, etc... As long as you don't do any damage to the control arm, you're OK!

A good sharp chisel and a 3 pound, short sledge hammer should make short work of the heads on the rivets. Just a tip...On the other side, loosen the nut that retains the BJ to the spindle, but don't remove it completely. this will give you some support when you attack the rivets.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:27 AM
TECH Regular

I tried to grind them underneath where the rivets are but you cannot get a dremel or anything in there for that matter. I drilled but it just spun on the hard metal rivets. If I grind on the top it will be pointless because that is where the entire assembly is and I cannot get that off. I appreciate your post, but can anybody tell me if you have successfully drilled this out using a hand drill? I need to know now as my jackstand is sinking like the titanic and my car will be sitting on its front clip soon if I dont get this wheel back on. Thanks.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, drilling the rivets is another way to get there...However, I don't quite understand where you're running into trouble. On the top side, knock off the tops of the rivets then just punch them through....
Old 06-13-2008, 03:29 PM
12 Second Club

u can use a chisel & Hammer. first tap chisel to get under the rivet head. once underneath, you will need to start wacking away to shear the rivet head off. worse case, u might need to remove arm so u get more room... hope this helps.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Yes, drilling the rivets is another way to get there...However, I don't quite understand where you're running into trouble. On the top side, knock off the tops of the rivets then just punch them through....
Old 06-13-2008, 08:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just replaced mine last weekend w/ a hand drill. hardest part is getting the drill bit started since the rivets are somewhat rounded. but w/ a metal bit you shouldn't have that hard of a time. just start slow to get the hole going then give it hell
Old 06-13-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Spring loaded tap would solve that issue
Old 06-13-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks, my uncle air chiseled them off at my shop. Like some of you stated, it was hard to get the drill started so I didnt think I could get it done. I guess I am just afraid to take brute force to some of these components.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front Upper Ball Joint Replacement, help!