Bluray question???

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluray question???

I have very nice 67 inch samsung dlp LED. Just got it 6 months ago and this tv produces killer hd and bluray images. I recently just got a samsung blueray that is being run with a monster 1000 cable. This is a top of the line cable. My question is that I have watched about 5 blueray movies now. Three of the movies have been crystal clear 100% badass quality. The other two looked very grainy and fuzzy. Maybe even worse quality than a regular dvd player. Why is this? By buddy has practically the same setup as me and he said he noticed the same thing. On some bluray movies the quality is not good at all. I just watched Bankok Dangerous and it was horrible quality. Have any of yall had this issue?
Old 01-19-2009, 10:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your TV 120hz?

1: You really need a 120Hz TV to correctly display a bluray movie.

2: A 67" DLP TV isn't exactly going to display a super clear picture compared to the smaller LCD's that really shine with bluray.

As for the Monster 1000 cable - That's really not going to help anything. Unless you are running > 8' you shouldn't spend more than 50 bucks on a cable.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:43 PM
TECH Regular

I noticed this same thing the other day. I have a 47" LG Full HD 1080 and I was watching Planet Earth on Blu Ray. Some scenes looked amazing, crystal clear. Others, on the same disc, were grainy and fuzzy.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jermstyle
Is your TV 120hz?

2: A 67" DLP TV isn't exactly going to display a super clear picture compared to the smaller LCD's that really shine with bluray.

As for the Monster 1000 cable - That's really not going to help anything. Unless you are running > 8' you shouldn't spend more than 50 bucks on a cable.
No the tv is not 120hz because I did not likw how it made the picture look like like a low budget home movie. its nice bt not for me. And I dont believe the size has anything to do with it. I also have two ther lcd's. A 37 inch a 42 inch. And also I dont belive size has anything to do because the other movies I watched were crystal clear. I mean beautiful images. But your right, you shouldnt pay more than 50 bucks for a cable. I got the monster 1000 from a buddy who works at best buy for 35 bucks. Its a 120 dollar cable retail. I did the research and its deff a great cable
Old 01-20-2009, 01:08 AM
On The Tree

Is your TV 120hz?

1. No you dont, 120Hz displays are nothing more than unatural injections of spliced frames into, well...a sequence of frames. IMO they are only good for anime & Gaming...This technology is hit or miss, I for one can't stand it for regular movies

2. Screen size & Picture clarity (all other things equal) is relative ONLY to viewing distance. Also, DLP's are a GREAT budget TV...there is just little flexability in viewing ANGLE with projection TV's, therefore you have to set up the TV in a room/spot where is get's viewed from the same straight forward angle.

3. Cables - If you're big baller buying 67" DLP 1080p Bluray setups, then go ahead and get the good cables. The IMPORTANT thing is to buy v1.3+ HDMI cables as these support 1080p...
Old 01-20-2009, 01:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's possible that the movie itself is the problem....especially if it's older movies that are being re-mastered in HD. crap in = crap out

the only way to really know for sure is to take the movie to a friend's house who also has an HD setup and try it out there...if the problem persists, you know it's likely the movie.

and you might even be able to take your blu-ray player with you as well, just to test out the quality between players.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:22 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

You are wrong about that. The cable makes a huge difference. There is no point in having a a badass tv and a badass blueray with a cable that cant keep up with the signal.

The problem is most likely the Movie you are watching. Not all the movies productions had enough bank to film in full 1080p.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HTX
You are wrong about that. The cable makes a huge difference. There is no point in having a a badass tv and a badass blueray with a cable that cant keep up with the signal.

The problem is most likely the Movie you are watching. Not all the movies productions had enough bank to film in full 1080p.
ON HDMI cables the only difference is the sturdiness of the cable. I watch through a $10 cable and on good movies, my image is perfect. Do some more research on HDMI cables. I have talked to several people that install and setup home theatres for a living and they unanimously said that picture quality is the same for all HDMI cables.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:40 AM
TECH Addict

check out a site like www.blu-ray.com and read reviews on movies before you buy them. some older movies are basically a dump of the dvd version onto a blu-ray disc and have no quality benefits over the dvd. and like you noticed, when you have a high end system, 'regular' definition video can actually look worse. especially things like standard cable tv.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:16 AM
Teching In

I am in agreement about the actual BR discs. The movie companies will not always spend money enhancing an older movie, when they know people are going to purchase it regardless. I remember when I bought Robin Hood on DVD years ago. The movie looked like they burned it directly from a VHS copy. It was horrible. My wife picked up BR Top Gun for me for Christmas. It is a really nice improvement from the regular DVD, but of course BR Dark Knight looks way better.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:40 AM
TECH Addict

As others have said, unless it was digitally remastered or re-scanned from the original film frames in high resolution, the quality is hit or miss. Keep a close eye on the reviews. Your setup is fine.

And the idea of 120 Hz + Blu-ray is to eliminate "judder" associated with watching 24p content on a 60Hz TV. Otherwise, the player will convert the images using pulldown to 30p (by adding additional frames). 24 is not a multiple of 60, so it can't match the scan rate, but it is a multiple of 120. It is not required, but die-hard videophiles wanting to see the films in their original 24 frame-per-second theatrical format will want a 120Hz TV to avoid "judder".

As for cables, just make sure they are well shielded and HDMI 1.3a capable. Monster cables tend to have heavier shielding, but impedence tests show that they are really no different internally than cheaper alternatives. You're paying for the brand name moreso than the technology. I've been running 7.1 DTS-HD MA (PCM - PS3) + 1080p (Mitsubishi 73" DLP) through a $60 cable without any problems. My HD-DVD player bitstreams 7.1 DTS-HD MA just fine, too (Pan's Labyrinth) decoded by an Onkyo TX-SR605. Chronicles or Narnia: Prince Caspian sounds phenomenal in 7.1.

I hope you have a decent sound system because there's much more to Blu-ray than just the picture quality.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Top of the line monster cables
Old 01-20-2009, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

Ya it must be the movie but this movie was a newer movie. Bankok Dangerous is the new one with Nick Cage
Old 01-20-2009, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

Older films tend to be more grainy because of the film stock, and that's the look they wanted to achieve with this movie, apparently. I haven't seen it yet.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies...33&show=review

"Bangkok Dangerous sights in on Blu-ray courtesy of Lionsgate with a 1080p transfer and framed in a 1.78:1 aspect ratio. The film offers something of a stylized look that doesn't stand out as too odd or distracting, but it also doesn't lend itself very well to top-flight high definition eye candy, either. This is a very dark movie, and one that is also extremely grainy, which lends a unique, but very cinematic, look and feel to the film. Blacks, in which the film is bathed, are stable but sometimes veer towards being a bit too bright. The dark nights on the Bangkok streets are punctuated nicely by spots of neon color that offer the best bit of vibrancy throughout the image. Interior shots are mostly drab and only moderately-at-best lit. As a result of the dark, stylized, drab look, flesh tones take on a yellowish, slightly green tint in many shots. Still, detail is adequate; many close-ups of Nicolas Cage's face reveal all the finest of nuances. However, fine detail is rather low elsewhere. Most objects, foreground and background, appear soft and undefined. What there is to see does look great; a boating scene in chapter nine reveals excellent color reproduction and above average detail on many objects. The finale is bathed in various colors, red and blue, primarily, that again add to the stylized look of the film. Bangkok Dangerous will never be a reference grade disc, but the transfer appears to be an accurate representation of the film's intended look and feel."
Old 01-20-2009, 11:09 AM
Staging Lane

Top of the line and monster cable don't belong in the same sentence... Kimber Cable is up in the ranks, but VERY expensive. I have seen some cost in the thousands.

One of the main problems your seeing is the quality of cameras. You can have one scene that is crystal clear then the next is really grainy and looks like crap. The advancements in technology have come ALONG way and some movies are shot with Multiple style cameras thus the reason you see different screen shots. You can really notice this during a sporting event that is changing angles a lot. Also older movies that have been remastered also are shot with a lower quality camera making them grainy also.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Teching In

my two 10 foot frys HDMI cables work perfect for me @ $8 each can't go wrong!
Old 01-20-2009, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

As to the blu-ray player some are upscaled to 1080p and others are true HD 1080p.
As to the cables a $8 dollar cable is just as good as your $100.00 monster cable. All your paying for is the brand name.
As to the Mhz it is to allow the frames to play smoother, during transistions. This way missing frames are played in sync and clear.
CySevans hit all of this in his post.

However one thing most have yet to hit on is your TV settings.

We have a Samsung 63' plasma tv and blu-ray player. However if you change your settings on the tv from the prespective modes (sport, game, standard, etc.), you can either get the highlights in the dark or the highlights in the bright colors. Check and see or maybe check your hardware. Who knows maybe its just defective. Not sure if this will help you with the grain look as I also have the same movie and dont notice any grain.

-J
Old 01-20-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this same issue...You might have the TV picture set on a "dynamic contrast" setting. I was watching a movie in BR the other night and noticed the "pixels" or "grainy". I usually watch regular tv in this setting because the colors are brighter, but I switched the TV setting to "movie" while I was watching the BR and it was a big improvement. Night and day as far as "grainy."
Old 01-20-2009, 01:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pir7tr
I had this same issue...You might have the TV picture set on a "dynamic contrast" setting. I was watching a movie in BR the other night and noticed the "pixels" or "grainy". I usually watch regular tv in this setting because the colors are brighter, but I switched the TV setting to "movie" while I was watching the BR and it was a big improvement. Night and day as far as "grainy."
dynamic looks amazing on 1080i comcast during the day!
Old 01-20-2009, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by XxNaSDaQxX
We have a Samsung 63' plasma tv and blu-ray player. However if you change your settings on the tv from the prespective modes (sport, game, standard, etc.), you can either get the highlights in the dark or the highlights in the bright colors. Check and see or maybe check your hardware. Who knows maybe its just defective. Not sure if this will help you with the grain look as I also have the same movie and dont notice any grain.

-J
I don't use the factory pre-sets at all. I use Digital Video Essentials to calibrate the TV for different ambient light settings. Each factory pre-set is programmable.

And I use a sound pressure level meter to calibrate the sound system.

Don't use factory pre-sets.