Need Ticket advice v. lane change signal

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 06:57 PM
LS7 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs down Need Ticket advice v. lane change signal

So I got my first ever ticket(s) today. The officer claimed I did not signal when changing lanes. I flashed the signal once when changing to the left (sun was rising from the left) and he either didn't see it, or didn't care. Either way, he pulled me over and gave me a ticket for it, and was nice enough to walk to the front of the car and add a no front plate ticket to the the fun.

Will they have to show me not signaling on the dash cam? Can I get both dismissed, or will fighting one mean they will hit me with the other? Any idea on the fine amounts (it isn't on the ticket)?

Thanks in advance for your advice
Old 08-30-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

lol, damn bro that sucks.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:45 PM
LS7 Member

Originally Posted by | Powered by Satan |
lol, damn bro that sucks.
The man is always trying to keep me down
Old 08-30-2010, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

most of the time cops won't stroke your for not using your turn signal unless you're driving like a jackass.

most of the time the cop's audio/video doesn't come on until the lights get activated.

and then when he stopped you, he determined that you needed to get your front lp checked, which is not a likely ticket unless you're acting like a jackass.

be careful requesting audio/video - if the judge sees that you were being a cheese dick, he won't even bother watching the whole video. he'll just tell you to sit down while they write up your fine.

not accusing, just sayin............
Old 08-30-2010, 09:54 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

lane changing one you can fight if you have the time i guess. May not be worth it though.

The front plate ticket can be dismissed by just putting one on and showing the judge a picture of it.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:56 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by imlooking
and then when he stopped you, he determined that you needed to get your front lp checked, which is not a likely ticket unless you're acting like a jackass.

some cops will pull you over for no other reason
Old 08-30-2010, 09:57 PM
8 Second Club

Trust me Ben doesn't drive like a idiot so I doubt the officer wrote him it for that. He's the guy you are flipping off for driving under the speed limit or right at the speed limit on the Beltway... Trust me... I know...
Old 08-30-2010, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

some cops will, but most cops do not want to risk pulling someone over in a 103 Heat Index in August.

i used to pull people over for having **** hanging from their rearview mirror.

i never stroked anyone for it - it was just my PC to make the stop. was hoping to get drugs or warrants out of it

if they were clean they were let go - easy as that.

BUT, if they acted like ******** or disrespected me, i would stroke'em.

there was no need for them to act like dicks....
Old 08-30-2010, 10:05 PM
11 Second Club

If you actually used your blinker, it's likely you can beat that ticket. If your worried about it being on your record, pay a lawyer a few hundred bucks to try and beat it. If your not worried about your record, you'll probably spend less paying the ticket than hiring a lawyer.

Even if you can't beat the license plate ticket, it is not near as big of a deal as it is not a moving violation. It would be like getting a registration ticket...

And remember when picking a lawyer: "It's good to have a lawyer that knows the law, but it's better to have a lawyer that knows the judge!"
Old 08-30-2010, 10:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the same ticket once, I took it to court and got it dismissed without even talking to the judge, I spoke with the prosecutor and told her that I did signal but the tail light didnt flash because my front light bulb had burned out causing it to fail. They couldnt really prove that I didnt flick the signal changer so she just dismissed it, cuz it was just going to cost them money if I explain the situation to the judge. So take it to court and it might be pretty easy to have it dismissed or just pay the $175 or thats what it was for me...gl
Old 08-30-2010, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Lawyer, honestly it's not worth trying to fight it yourself. I would rather pay and be almost certain it will get dismissed compared to waste multiple days hoping it does
Old 08-30-2010, 10:09 PM
LS7 Member

most of the time cops won't stroke your for not using your turn signal unless you're driving like a jackass.

most of the time the cop's audio/video doesn't come on until the lights get activated.

be careful requesting audio/video - if the judge sees that you were being a cheese dick, he won't even bother watching the whole video. he'll just tell you to sit down while they write up your fine.

not accusing, just sayin............
I was going the speed limit and had not changed lanes since merging onto the freeway (until this happened).

When he walked up to my car and said hello, I replied "good morning". No attitude whatsoever from me. He walked to the front of my car after asking for license and registration. He was looking to add **** to this ticket...

I have no problem with the fine if they show me video and I truly didn't use a signal. The front plate was a lame move as he said "you can probably get this dismissed if yada yada". Why give a ticket and not a warning then?

edit: Thanks for the replies!

This happened at 8am. The weather was still nice out
Old 08-30-2010, 10:21 PM
10 Second Club

Maybe he just wanted your number?
Old 08-30-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

may i ask what city this was in?

honestly there's a good chance the lane thing will get dismissed. and the front lp is a $20 dismissal fee. not sure how much they'd charge for the lane change.

i had the same exact ticket as you did + expired insurance and they completely dropped the lane change and just made me pay the fees for plate and insurance card.

also was the guy young? in my experience rookies will sometimes hand out little bullshit tickets like this just because. where as the more experienced cops know how to sniff out the more expensive fines. the two most expensive tickets i've gotten were buy two old salty dudes, one for exhaust($250) and the other for a way over due registration($200, i had just been in boot camp and training for like 6 months)

sux but it could be worse.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:34 PM
LS7 Member

I think it's considered Houston. It was on the beltway on the north side. The officer was probably in his late 30's / early 40's.

Yeah it's not super bad, but it sucks that my first moving violation is for something stupid. I signal every time I do anything. Sometimes accidentally out of habit when turning into our parking garage...

I should have tried to signal longer / earlier, obviously, but I know I touched blinker. If they show me video and It didn't flash, I'll take it like a man. Then again, I guess at that point it has to go on your record, right?

thanks again for the replies
Old 08-30-2010, 11:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

something i've found out with my car after following my dad when he was driving it. the blinker is kinda lazy. it IS possible to flick the blinker on and off with out the bulb actually lighting up. even though you hear the "click-click".
Old 08-31-2010, 07:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Just blows me away because the threadstarter drives like my grandma. Very cautious LOL.

Hell I think I've driven it harder than him sometimes
Old 08-31-2010, 07:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

time for the gt35r and to blow by the cops

middle fingers up

haters down
Old 08-31-2010, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by UTEvo8
I was going the speed limit and had not changed lanes since merging onto the freeway (until this happened).

When he walked up to my car and said hello, I replied "good morning". No attitude whatsoever from me. He walked to the front of my car after asking for license and registration. He was looking to add **** to this ticket...

I have no problem with the fine if they show me video and I truly didn't use a signal. The front plate was a lame move as he said "you can probably get this dismissed if yada yada". Why give a ticket and not a warning then?

edit: Thanks for the replies!

This happened at 8am. The weather was still nice out
well, probably just a tough break..........

there will be NO evidence of the blinker, just like in 95% of traffic violations, because traffic violations are seen by the cops FIRST, then the lights come on which will activate audio/video.

go to court and see if the cop doesn't show up.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:05 PM
12 Second Club

well, probably just a tough break..........

there will be NO evidence of the blinker, just like in 95% of traffic violations, because traffic violations are seen by the cops FIRST, then the lights come on which will activate audio/video.

go to court and see if the cop doesn't show up.
so basically this specific ***** of an officer's word against his, gotta being love innocent until "proven" guilty (with the sole evidence being the word of the obviously biased ***** of an officer )