Economical Luxury Sedan - Gasoline - At least 32+ MPG Highway

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 10:15 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Economical Luxury Sedan - Gasoline - At least 32+ MPG Highway

I'm in the market for a new car, particularly a full size sedan, not a compact. I'm looking for one in which gets at least 32 mpg or more and is gasoline (not hybrid). I've been doing lots of research and really have boiled it down to a Hyundai Sonata. More than likely, it'll be a Limited 2.0T and the reason for this is because of the way Hyundai has their options laid out. Anyhow, this car gets 22 mpg city/33 highway. I know it's not the most economical car out there, but again, I'm looking for a full size sedan, gasoline, and is luxurious.

Now everyone has their own opinion as to what makes a luxury car a luxury car. I would assume that most people consider a luxury car to have a price tag of at least $35k and to be foreign (Mercedes, BMW, etc.). What I consider luxurious is modern/up-to-date features, stylish, roomy, technology, etc. I don't know if anyone here owns a Hyundai Sonata, but truthfully, if it weren't for the Hyundai symbol, I'd think it was either a BMW, Lexus, or Infiniti. If you don't believe me, please, go look at them in person, particularly one with the 18" wheels which would be a SE or Limited Turbo.

Anyhow, just wanted to see if luxurious and economical went in the same sentence.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our neighbor has one, it has pretty clean lines.

You trading in the truck?
Old 04-11-2011, 08:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I like the looks of the Kia version (Optima) better.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:04 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by -Ross-
I was going to say the same thing. I like the Sonata, but I like the Optima SX even better.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Hyundai has really come on strong in the last few years. The Genesis is particularly intriguing, and if I were in the market for a BMW/Mercedes type car, I would definitely have to consider it. That said, it doesn't fit your requirements for fuel efficiency.

I haven't ever done any research on this, since I've never been in the market, but I would definitely schedule a test drive of the Sonata, if I were you.

-Mike
Old 04-11-2011, 09:31 AM
TECH Regular

Don't buy a Hyundai.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by texas94z
Don't buy a Hyundai.
Why?

I'm a fan of buying American when purchasing new, but if I were buying a foreign sedan under Dragaholic's requirements I'd definitely consider a Hyundai or Kia. They have stepped it up, have very good reliability rating and have great warranties.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:00 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

My 06 maxima fully loaded got 32mpg @ 65mph... and 29mpg @ 85 MPH

I thinks that is good for a sporty luxury car.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My neighbor has an Optima. He was all excited about it when he bought it. He has had several problems. Apparently one of them is a known transmission issue (it has gone in 3 times for that). After it had been in the shop so much, he went and bought a Lincoln MKZ. He now has his Optima for sale and no one is interested unless it is well below blue book. Resale sucks on those and they seem to be problematic.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:04 AM
11 Second Club

Kia's are crap - the new Optima is just crap covered in Chocolate...

Owned a Sonata - solid cars - would own another one
Old 04-11-2011, 10:12 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm a salesman at Kia. And they are no where close to "crap". They've definately stepped their game up. Have you seen/driven the Sorento SX? Car is bad Our number one sales guy bought an optima SX for his wife a couple months back. Has had no issues and he said she gets compliments everywhere. The car is sick. Heated/cooled front seats, heated real seats, navigation, back up camera, turbo, etc etc.

Dragaholic - If you become interested in an Optima, let me know and I can get you a killer deal on one. I aim for volume bonuses, so I can careless how much $ is made on a car. I'm purely about the numbers.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Buick Regal for sure. The new models are awesome, and get great fuel mileage. I believe that you can get them with a NA Ecotech or a Turbo 2.0
Old 04-11-2011, 10:17 AM
11Second Club

I'm surprised to hear all the talk of foreign cars on a forum like this. I wish I didn't own a Volkswagen. It will be the last foreign car my family owns.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:34 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
I'm a salesman at Kia. And they are no where close to "crap". They've definately stepped their game up. Have you seen/driven the Sorento SX? Car is bad Our number one sales guy bought an optima SX for his wife a couple months back. Has had no issues and he said she gets compliments everywhere. The car is sick. Heated/cooled front seats, heated real seats, navigation, back up camera, turbo, etc etc.

Dragaholic - If you become interested in an Optima, let me know and I can get you a killer deal on one. I aim for volume bonuses, so I can careless how much $ is made on a car. I'm purely about the numbers.

Thats great that you sell them, I'm sure when they leave your hands they are fine - However I know Master/L1 Mechanics that have worked for Kia Dealerships and who have serviced them at other shops as well as several people who have owned them and driven them - my opinion is based on knowledge gained from their experiences and I would never own one even if it was given to me.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Head Hunter
Thats great that you sell them, I'm sure when they leave your hands they are fine - However I know Master/L1 Mechanics that have worked for Kia Dealerships and who have serviced them at other shops as well as several people who have owned them and driven them - my opinion is based on knowledge gained from their experiences and I would never own one even if it was given to me.
I dont stay in a cubby hole in the sales department. I speak with the mechanics as well. Not mechanics that "have" worked for kia... meaning in the past. There is no doubt that kias were junk before, but things have changed. My opinion is based on speaking with 100's of satisfied people. Yes there are a few people that didnt have their standards met, but that is the case with any car. Can't make everyone happy.

Also, like I've said. The number one sales guy bought a Optima SX for his wife. He's been with Kia for years and is a top seller nation wide. I think if the Kias were actually "crap", that he wouldn't have wasted $30k on one.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

Why?

I'm a fan of buying American when purchasing new, but if I were buying a foreign sedan under Dragaholic's requirements I'd definitely consider a Hyundai or Kia. They have stepped it up, have very good reliability rating and have great warranties.
I agree with you. Hyundai is make great progress. However last time I checked, America auto manufactures build the best cars in the world . Be American and buy American.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:18 AM
TECH Junkie

It's funny how a lot of people seem to "know a guy who works on Car X and he says Car X is a piece of ****" so all Car Xs and cars made by the same company who produces Car X are pieces of ****.

No company has 100% customer satisfaction. And, of course some mechanics will call certain cars pieces of ****. They only deal with broke ones. They never see the other 99% that don't have any major issues.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Also, leadfoot. Do you know what trim Optima he has? How much is he asking? The issue is that new Kias have a 10 yr/100k mile powertrain. Once it's preowned, it gets knocked down to 5yr/60k miles. So potential buyers are looking at that as well.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:38 PM
9 Second Club NA

Randy_S, it depends on what the dealerships have to offer me. If I can't get what I want for it or pretty darn close, I'll just sell it outright. Does your neighbor have the one with the 18" wheels. In my opinion, it makes all the difference in the world if it has the nicer wheels. This actually goes with any vehicle.

-Ross-, haha, it's funny that you mentioned the Optima, because that was my 2nd pick. It would definitely be the SX trim with the navi package. I will say it's a good looking car, however, I'm not a big fan of the wheels. That's the only thing that throws it off for me. Kind of a bummer.

As far as your 2nd post, I"m all about American too. In fact, the only manufacturer I've ever owned is Chevrolet. I would still consider Chevy for this particular car I'm looking for, but the only car they offer with that mileage is the Cobalt. It's a great looking car, but just too small and not the full size sedan I'm looking for. Just to clarify, I'm not limited to foreign cars, it just has to meet my requirements.

Slash8915, as mentioned above, my top 2 choices.

chupr0kabra, the Genesis is definitely a sweet car. I would have never guessed it was a Hyundai. It looks a lot like an Infinity.

texas94z, at this point, that's what I have my heart set on, do you have any other suggestions?

HTX, I couldn't agree with you more. I think the Maxima is a nice looking car, but the fuel economy wasn't there when I checked online.

LeadfootDuramax, that really sucks to hear, but I don't think 1 person's experience speaks for all Kias.

Head Hunter, what's your experience with Kias as to say they're crap? What year model was the Sonata? The 2011 looks different than all previous models and the best looking in my opinion. When I first spotted one, prior to the beginning of my search, I was in awe, then freaked out that it was a Hyundai.

Donohue96M6Z28, send me a PM if you don't wish to post what dealer you work at because as previously mentioned, the Kia Optima SX was my 2nd choice. I have to agree with you, both Hyundai and Kia have definitely stepped it up because I was blown away viewing these 2 particular models. Locate a Snow White Pearl, SX, with the SX Technology & Premium Touring Package and we shall talk. I'm looking to hopefully purchase within the week.

k0261886, the Regals are definitely another car that I considered and good looking too, but didn't have the mileage. If I remember correctly, they were barely at 29 or 30 highway. Again, I'm looking for at least 32.

Gauge, believe it or not, the Volkswagen Jetta TDI was one of my choices. But the more and more I thought about it, I just decided against it. I'm not a big fan of the new ones and I hate that they don't offer the nicer wheels for the TDI version. Also, based only on what I've been told, I hear that are expensive to maintain.

texas94z, I'm not against buying an American car, as mentioned above, I have always and only owned Chevrolet. Do you know of any American made cars, full size sedan, luxurious, etc. that gets at least 32 mpg highway?
Old 04-11-2011, 01:10 PM
TECH Junkie

I work at Ancira Kia in SA. Have you seen an SX in person? If not, the wheels are different than in the commercials. I will tell you that finding an SX Optima right now is impossible. We've received one, total. Optimas in general are scarce to come by. Didn't know you were looking to buy with in the week.