Car has issues after that heavy rain we had

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car has issues after that heavy rain we had

I had to drive home in that really heavy rain a couple days ago, was just fine on the way home and when I parked it.

Next day it died in reverse on me, and tried to die when I took off normally from a stop sign. Car will hardly accelerate unless I have it 3/4 or more of the way down, and it takes off hard, it just stumbles and misses really bad in mid range.

If I hold the gas constant at a normal amount, it stumbles and all of a sudden takes off hard.

Air filter was damp, lots of gas in the intake manifold it looks like, seems to be running a lot richer than usual. Plugs and wires look good. MAF "looks" good, also runs the same without the MAF. O2s look fine, didn't try running it without them.

Car has longtubes and no emissions stuff (AIR/EGR, Cats, etc.) and on stock tune. Has always run rich but no issues.

Limped it to vatozone and got the usual above codes along with random missfires, real helpful.

Maybe one of the coils has gone bad?
Anyone have any ideas?

Anyone local that I can try swapping coil packs with to see if that clears up the problem?
Old 04-05-2012, 11:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to bet that the maf could have gotten wet and definally the O2 sensors are probally bad.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FasTimeSS
I am going to bet that the maf could have gotten wet and definally the O2 sensors are probally bad.
But since it didn't change with running open TB (no MAF) wouldn't that rule it out?
Old 04-06-2012, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am not sure I once cleaned my engine bayout really good and got water up into the lid and didn't realize it until it wouldn't run and those sypmtoms sound very similar. I also have O2 sensor do the same time.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

your o2's got wet, replace them with proper extensions (since you have LT's) and you should be fine.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:31 AM
TECH Addict

one time i went through a deep puddle and got misfires for days afterwards. i have LT's with o2 extensions, and i guess the o2 connectors didnt seal that well and got water in them. i sprayed out the connectors with 'electronics parts cleaner' (available at any auto parts store) and let it dry overnight before re-connecting. that did it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CCMLD0/...hvptwo=&hvqmt=
Old 04-06-2012, 09:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by happysem
I had to drive home in that really heavy rain a couple days ago, was just fine on the way home and when I parked it.

Next day it died in reverse on me, and tried to die when I took off normally from a stop sign. Car will hardly accelerate unless I have it 3/4 or more of the way down, and it takes off hard, it just stumbles and misses really bad in mid range.

If I hold the gas constant at a normal amount, it stumbles and all of a sudden takes off hard.

Air filter was damp, lots of gas in the intake manifold it looks like, seems to be running a lot richer than usual. Plugs and wires look good. MAF "looks" good, also runs the same without the MAF. O2s look fine, didn't try running it without them.

Car has longtubes and no emissions stuff (AIR/EGR, Cats, etc.) and on stock tune. Has always run rich but no issues.

Limped it to vatozone and got the usual above codes along with random missfires, real helpful.

Maybe one of the coils has gone bad?
Anyone have any ideas?

Anyone local that I can try swapping coil packs with to see if that clears up the problem?
not very bright
Old 04-06-2012, 10:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Check your fuses under your hood. I had a car do the same thing and it was a fuse. If not do as others stated and check your O2 connections...
Old 04-06-2012, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 5w20
not very bright
Hate to say it, 5w20 is right. You have been sabotaging your car slowly since you did this. You need a tune, replace your O2s, and re-look this deal to rule some things out. The truth is, if your air filter was wet, I don't like your odds. Air filters are shitty at stopping water...
Old 04-06-2012, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Dunno, I've heard tons on tons of people running !emissions and LTs on stock tune with no issues, my LT1 did it for MUCH longer, also ran very strong.

I'm just going off what I hear, and always heard a tune would help, but wasn't needed.

I'm thinking its more of a coil since it runs the same with MAF unplugged and O2s unplugged, shouldn't it run in open loop or whatever where it ignores the sensor readings if they're unplugged? All connectors look fine and its been sitting for a few days.

Pulled a few of the mini fuses and they looked fine, have to leave for work so I'll check the rest later.

Keep the ideas coming guys, its appreciated.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

The car will run rough without the MAF which is the same as having a MAF in there that isn't working. You need to try swapping someone else's MAF on there as this WILL cause your car to run rough and die until it gets warmed up. If you can get the car to idle with the MAF trying hitting it with a screw driver and see if it dies (just a thought).
Old 04-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mike96z
The car will run rough without the MAF which is the same as having a MAF in there that isn't working. You need to try swapping someone else's MAF on there as this WILL cause your car to run rough and die until it gets warmed up. If you can get the car to idle with the MAF trying hitting it with a screw driver and see if it dies (just a thought).
Yeah i was going to say the same thing, bad maf is like having no maf.....so would lead me to believe you have a maf issue. Thats where i would start.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

I'll bet you anything your 02 sensor connections got wet! they'll dry out..
Old 04-06-2012, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea after thinking about it today its gotta be MAF unless the coil got wet as well.

Anyone in McKinney area willing to swap MAFs for a minute?
Not sure if I would be able to return it after trying it out.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well its not the MAF, still runs terrible under load.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's your air intake temperature sensor. $12 part at autozone
Old 04-07-2012, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^ thanks, but no dice there either.

Anyone local have a scanner?
Running outta ideas.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:51 PM
TECH Resident

I'd say take a air gun and hit the intake around the injector bossing but since it's been a couple days it should of dried. A friend had this happen where water puddled around the injectors and ran like **** hit it with the air gun blew it all out and was fine. He pressure washed his engine though IIRC.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you unplug the mad and it runs the same I would put my money on that being the issue. Did you swap with someone?
Old 04-08-2012, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I fried my o2 sensors one time with longtubes when I went through a deep puddle, car ran like **** til I replaced them.

Quick Reply: Car has issues after that heavy rain we had