houston tuners... i need a teacher...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default houston tuners... i need a teacher...

any of you tuners live in houston? i guess im sorta looking for a mentor.. lol sum1 who i could hook up with, and watch him tune cars?
Old 05-31-2006, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

here's a better place for this...

Some reference material:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/424857-looking-local-tuner-seriously-read-me-before-asking.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/287094-read-me-first-tuning-docs-ve-maf-ses-lights-faqs-more-01-31-07-a.html
Old 05-31-2006, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ive already read through those, but thanks.

trey
Old 06-01-2006, 09:55 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would suggest studying the info in the tunning section and asking what ever questions you need while self tuning your own car. Through out my time in this buisness I have not meet one tuner that is going to hand over his knowledge that he has spent years of studying and paying money to strap down on a dyno to self learn. He has invested all this time and money so he can sell his tunning.. Teaching people a complete how to tune is like taking money out of his posket and handing it to someone. Now if you have small questions here and there many tuners will be happy to give you pointers just not a complete lesson.

Now take that for what its worth. I am not a tuner. I have never had any want or need to learn. Moe has done our computer side of tunning for 6 years now. So anytime I nitrous tune a car I have him working the computerside.

I just thought I would share what I have seen through out time.

Dave
Old 06-01-2006, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Theres always EFI University.. www.efi101.com
Old 06-01-2006, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
I would suggest studying the info in the tunning section and asking what ever questions you need while self tuning your own car. Through out my time in this buisness I have not meet one tuner that is going to hand over his knowledge that he has spent years of studying and paying money to strap down on a dyno to self learn. He has invested all this time and money so he can sell his tunning.. Teaching people a complete how to tune is like taking money out of his posket and handing it to someone. Now if you have small questions here and there many tuners will be happy to give you pointers just not a complete lesson.

Now take that for what its worth. I am not a tuner. I have never had any want or need to learn. Moe has done our computer side of tunning for 6 years now. So anytime I nitrous tune a car I have him working the computerside.

I just thought I would share what I have seen through out time.

Dave

i figured that... i just felt it was worth a try asking. thought maybe i could meet up w/ someone who self-tunes as a hobby....

trey
Old 06-01-2006, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by treysoucie
i figured that... i just felt it was worth a try asking. thought maybe i could meet up w/ someone who self-tunes as a hobby....

trey
Also keep in mind that EFI tuning is certainly one of the more advanced areas in automotive performance. The people you are seeking apprentice-ship from have spent alot of time learning for themselves, learning from forums, etc. What you are asking for is not like help for a few hours on a bolt-on install, or some wrench turning. You are asking someone to pass down years of experience in a trade that cannot be learned in one sitting, or two, or three, or even months of sittings. Now, the cool thing is that all the tuning veterans share their information via the internet and other venues, so that people like you have some basis to begin your interest from. We use the phrase "self-tuner" and it should be exactly as it is implied, learning how to tune for yourself. Though, there is a large difference b/w "help" and "educate." If you are looking for help, then it is readily available through many avenues, if you are looking for external education, it's as Nitro Dave mentioned, you've got to have something to offer for fair compensation (whether it be money, a personal relationship with the tuner, or something else, spending that kind of time with an expert you've got to have something to offer, it can't be all take, no give). Or as most do, try the free route and educate yourself! Your only limitation will be yourself and how far you want to explore.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:37 PM
ESR
LS1TECH Sponsor

Default .....

Just take your time and make small changes. The tuning section of this board is very helpful. Also the Board at HPtuners.com is very informative.

Originally Posted by treysoucie
ive already read through those, but thanks.

trey