Oil Change ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change ?

my dad has always taught me that when ur changing ur oil, u need to let it drain really well b4 u put the new oil in. he has also taught me that when ur installing the new filter, u have to dab some oil on the ring of the filter. well my question is if u dont allow the old oilf to drain for a long time will it matter? B/C i had to get an oil change done, i didnt have ne free time on my hands so i took it in to this small shop by my house. he only chraged me 10 bucks so i didnt want to complain. but he didnt out any oil on the ring of the filter, and there was still a small line of oil dripping when he replaced the screw. i just dont want my lack of time to mess up the life of the new oil
Old 08-01-2006, 11:12 AM
12 Second Club

Id be more concerned with the quality of the $10 oil+filter

Oil on the filter seal is to help remove it when the time comes. Draining for a long time is to simply let as much old oil out as possible.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

no i had my own oil, i use mobil 1, 10W-40, and i had my own filter, he just charged me 10 bucks for the "labor"
Old 08-01-2006, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Also while the oil is almost done draining, go ahead and run a quart of clean oil down through the motor to help dump the crap on the bottom out.

As stated above, I would be concerned with the quality of the $10 oil & filter.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:15 PM
12 Second Club

oh,
well then like I said, it may be pretty hard to get the filter off next time you do it if the seal is dry, and there was a minimal amount of old oil that didnt get flushed out but that is no biggie.
There is a small amount of oil/sludge in the pan that will no run out on its own, and there is always oil that sticks to engine parts that won't run out as well.

Its impossible to get 100% of the old oil out when you do a change.

Luckily, the location of the filter makes it pretty easy to remove if it is a problem
Old 08-01-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats pretty good i've never thought of running a quart of oil to clean things up, man but thats going to get expensive. mobil 1 is like 5-6 bucks a quart. i usually go to wal-mart and get the 5 quart container for like 22 bucks, then just buy a single.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

usually when you go to them quick oil change places, the oil is so hot that it's "watery" meaning it runs threw the engine so fast, so you get a large amount of oil out fast. the dab on the filter is a MUST. my 65 impala didnt have any oil on the seal when i went to change it and i crushed the filter with the wrench while it was still on the blcok. then i ran a screw driver sideways to get it off and the fkker tore the body off. so i had the base of the filter on the block....luckly i was going to rebuild the motor later but decided to do it then!!
Old 08-01-2006, 03:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Plus when you don't put oil on the ring of the filter, it has a tendancy to allow the ring to stick on the engine and pull off of the filter, if you are in a hurry and forget to check to make sure the gasket is off too and its actually on, you can risk damage to your engine. So when you do your next oil change, make damn sure you check that the oil filter gasket is not still stuck to your car.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:09 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always let mine start draining, then open up my filter, fill it up with oil, smear it around the gasket, and get the rest of my stuff ready. The gives the oil plenty of time to drain out, and doesn't cost you any time.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:31 PM
TECH Junkie

does something so simple have to be so complicated?

1)Remove drain plug.

2)while draining check car over (tires, balljoints, fluid leaks, brakes etc..)

3)should be dripping out from drain plug hole, now remove oil fliter

4)install oil filter as you please (no wrong way as long as its on tight with only one gasket --- make sure old gasket from old filter is off)

5)install drain plug/bolt

6)get brake cleaner and a rag to clean area around filter and drain plug (so it wont be messy the next time, oil and dirt looks like . Also will help in finding leaks of any kind later on. easy..say for example oil pan, rear main seal, etc...

7)fill engine with oil

As far as oil filters getting stuck, get a woman and let out some anger in her so you dont tighten the filter so damn tight.

In case you run into one of those angry oil changers that lets out the anger on the filter use this....special tool . Doesnt have to be snap on.

Last edited by 5w20; 08-01-2006 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

it cant be super tight, not like a deisle. and you need that little dab of oil.....there are filters that have been on the car for shitload's of miles and it's a bitch to take them off with out that little lub, trust us on that part
Old 08-01-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by reject
it cant be super tight, not like a deisle. and you need that little dab of oil.....there are filters that have been on the car for shitload's of miles and it's a bitch to take them off with out that little lub, trust us on that part

i put them on dry...NEVER had a problem. PLus there has to be some kind of oil on there from the old filter. Its not the filter, its the installer.

EDIT: To the original poster...do you have a CME and some type of drag radials (dont remember if the one i see has Nitto's or M/T's) on your car. Theres this one i see a lot at a walmart.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:17 PM
On The Tree

Just make sure when you change your oil the next time that the gasket comes off. I thought that was the main reason for putting oil on the gasket anyway
Old 08-01-2006, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

no i dont i just got a set of fuzions and had yokohamas b4 that. i'm rarely at walmart. prob not me.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:29 AM
TECH Veteran

are yal talking about the meyerpark walmart by west bellfort and s post oak??
Old 08-02-2006, 07:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Shinerbock07
are yal talking about the meyerpark walmart by west bellfort and s post oak??

no 45S and almeda rd.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Veteran

oh....alright then!