Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Whats a good air ratchet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 02:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Whats a good air ratchet?

I just want to make sure I dont get suckered or choose a POS. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-16-2003, 02:46 PM
Launching!

I like IR tools. This is the one I am thinking about getting http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...=specs#tablink It spins at 270 rpm and 60 ft lbs. The average is at 150 rpm for the others I have seen.
Old 12-16-2003, 03:23 PM
Launching!

What's your price range?

I have this one:

(Snap-On)
Old 12-16-2003, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a Husky air rachet (actually I have 2 now that I think about it) and I'm happy with it. They're only like $55 and have a lifetime warranty. Has like 45 ft lb of torque. Haven't had any problems with it.

I also have a lighter duty Husky impact gun and I'm not impressed with it. I don't know if I should have gotten the heavier duty version or what, but I'll probably upgrade to one of the IR Thunder Guns in the near future.
Old 12-16-2003, 03:36 PM
TECH Junkie

I would be willing to pay around 100 bucks, I like that IR one, How much is the snap on?
Old 12-16-2003, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The IR ratchets are nice for home use, but I have seen them literally fall apart after 1-3 years of daily shop thrashing. The Snap On FAR 72B or FAR 72O are definately the best, but pricy at over $300. I'd have no second thoughts about getting an IR for home if I had a compressor.

Ackattack1, forget that boat anchor Thunder Gun. You'll be much happier with the IR 2135Ti, I can promise you that. Under 4 lbs and 1,000ft/lbs torque. The controls are a LOT more ergonomic, you can change directions with one hand instead of two. It's also smaller and you'll HATE using that big heavy gun under a car or in a confined space. The IR composite guns are also MUCH quieter, another benefit if you plan on using the gun at home and have neighbors
Old 12-21-2003, 02:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by whitez71
I like IR tools. This is the one I am thinking about getting http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...=specs#tablink It spins at 270 rpm and 60 ft lbs. The average is at 150 rpm for the others I have seen.

White z i decided on this one, I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:51 PM
wrencher

All those $100 are the same, so-so.
If you want a nice one it will cost.
The snappy one is nice as well as MAC's new one.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mac tools AR777, imo is the best, but its loud
my snap-on far-72 is good for spark plugs after rebuilding twice

also, the IR composite guns ARE the best.....plus the exhaust exits out the bottom instead of the front, so you dont blow dirt in your face when using.
Old 12-27-2003, 02:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

where did you pick up the husky ones at? My craftsman just recently died, but its very old so its all good
Old 12-27-2003, 08:58 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have two, but the one I find myself using most is the one I got free with the Sears compressor. Its a mini 3/8 ratchet but makes getting into tighter spaces that much easier.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00919943000

It's for every task since it doesn't have a lot of torque, but makes getting to underhood items like intake bolts much easier.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Well that IR ratchet I got was DOA,, wouldn't even turn the head it would only shoot exahust out no matter what setting it was on. I ended up having to get a craftsman one that has less features than the IR but I do like it. I may pick up one of those mini ratchets, I was removing my headers today and was thinking how helpful one of those might have been haha.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mike K.
Well that IR ratchet I got was DOA,, wouldn't even turn the head it would only shoot exahust out no matter what setting it was on. I ended up having to get a craftsman one that has less features than the IR but I do like it. I may pick up one of those mini ratchets, I was removing my headers today and was thinking how helpful one of those might have been haha.
Try dumping some air tool oil down the fitting, and knocking it on the floor a few times. If it was sitting for a while, there might just be some coagulated oil in there.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:18 PM
TECH Junkie

damn I wish I would have tried that earlier. I did put oil in it and hit it in my hand but no go. Its already been returned now to bad it looked like a nice ratchet too.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn I wish I would have tried that earlier. I did put oil in it and hit it in my hand but no go. Its already been returned now to bad it looked like a nice ratchet too.
yea, but form the tq. and rpms you were describing it was also a very painful experience waiting to happen. mine is only 45tq. and it will beat the **** out of your hands if the bolt dont turn in tight areas so i wouldnt want that unless you were in less packed areas.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Husky's are a good product for the price, if price wasn't a concern i would go with a snap-on or mac.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh well. It's not uncommon for air tools to get jammed once in a while. The old drop test usually fixes them
Old 01-08-2004, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ackattack1
I have a Husky air rachet (actually I have 2 now that I think about it) and I'm happy with it. They're only like $55 and have a lifetime warranty. Has like 45 ft lb of torque. Haven't had any problems with it.

I also have a lighter duty Husky impact gun and I'm not impressed with it. I don't know if I should have gotten the heavier duty version or what, but I'll probably upgrade to one of the IR Thunder Guns in the near future.
I have the same Huskey air rachet. 45 ft lbs of torque and I use them almost every week all around the car and it's nice to get all the tools set to be torqued down by a torque wrench. Other than that i use it on various stuff like the john deere lawn tractor and for quick disassembly of parts.

I only returned once when the air rachet started slipping under loads when getting started. Got an new one.

I also have a 350 ft/lbs 1/2" drive huskey impact wrench which i use for the wheels and taking servely rusted parts off such as the front a-arms bolts on a '74 Nova and it keeps on going without any problem.

And I run a 30-35 gal air compressor which used to be dual stage until one of the motor/pump siezed and gave up, I took the siezed motor/pump off (it's a one piece, motor and pump casted together) and god it had to weigh at least 80 lbs, my hands hurted bad when i was carrying it by myself to the dumpster in the back of the building.
it's 220v and it's an oiled system with an oil resivor. I cranked the pressure up from 90 to 120 psi and run it like that, it really helps around the garage alot, quiet too. It's about 20 years old at least and it used to be in my dad's office which is a dental office, it got a new compressor but at least i got one in the garage and it's running on single pump now for 4 years now.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:15 PM
Teching In

Alot of the older and some of the current snap-on air ratchets are made by IR. I have an IR and a snap-on in 3/8, they are the same. They aren't the chepo ir, they are the higher end stuff. My 1/4 snap on isn't like any of the others out there.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:12 PM
TECH Junkie

I just got a 3/8ths little tiny craftsman ratchet to go places where my big one cannot go.
Let me tell ya that little thing kicks *** even with only 15lbs of tq. It'll be interesting to
see how long it lasts though.

Quick Reply: Whats a good air ratchet?