Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Harbor Freight or JC Whittney tools

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 03:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Harbor Freight or JC Whittney tools

I can't believe the inexpensive prices of hand tools from these companies. I have order several hundred dollars of tools from each within the last few months....

GREAT quality! All this stuff is made in China nowadays.

The prices for wrenches from JCW is simply amazing. You can get forged steel that is chrome plated and of very high quality for CHEAP!!!!

I am surprised they don't put Husky, Craftsman, Stanley, Snap-on, and ALL the rest of the guys out of business!!!! Eventually, I am sure they will ....

Hey, I hate to see the Chinese work for 3 cents per hour but they actually can buy a bunch with those wages,,,,so I will do like the rest, BUY CHINA-MADE STUFF by the car load.....!!!!!!
Old 04-15-2004, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

*SOME* of the tools are good, some are complete CRAP .. You have to know which are which

Like the Pittsburg blue-handled stuff. I cracked the tip off a set of diagonal cutters trimming of all things 24ga. BRASS !! I also snapped a set of the Pittsburg blue-handled channel-lock style pliers clear in half. I'm strong, but not THAT strong. I tried to use a Harbor Freight tap and die set, and the cheapy bolt I was trying to rethread (not grade 8, or even grade 5) was a LOT harder than the die -- so it turned out to be garbage. The taps were barely hard enough to cut aluminum

On the other hand, my six dollar nibbler worked great. I have a couple sets of impact sockets which seem to be holding up just fine. I have a few air tools that seem to hold up ever bit as well as my Craftsman units.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Chinese are fixing to kick our asses industrially
and I reckon worse will not be far behind. We have
put most of our electronics manufacturing there
already, at least anything that has to sell in any
volume. Remember Japan in the '70s? Times a
hundred population, times a hundred (?) land mass,
paid nothing and nothing to lose. Notice whose Iraq
hostages got released in like under one day? Yep.
And no slouches in the arms export business either.

But the tool quality for the price, you can't really
beat if you buy what you know. There's little difference
between the best and worst Chinese tools in price, and
the good stuff is plenty good.

If you buy it at the Harbor Freight at least you have
the chance of taking it back as "defective" and get
another one to try and break.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

I've snapped wrenches in half that I bought non-craftsman or non-sk-matco-etc. I did get a set of snap ring pliers from harbor freight, among some other stuff (punch, chisel) that was basically non-totally stressed. Like an angle finder, letter stamp set, etc.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:32 AM

I buy Harbor Freight tools for low and one-time only usage applications. For every day use tools I stick with Craftsman.

John
Old 04-16-2004, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

I am running about 50-50 with the tools I've bought at HF. Half of them are decent, and are usable for the weekender.

And the other half have been sacrificed to the tool gods. These include 3-jaw pullers (broke trying to get my pulley off), 6" die grinder (not straight, so the bit jumps and wobbles - since I took it new from the box), broken socket wrench extensions, broken hammers (heads fall off), a crap sandblaster, and other stuff.

Their "air tools" stuff seems to work OK. I would NEVER buy chrome sockets there though. They are complete and utter crap.
Old 04-17-2004, 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have never broken an american made tool in the short 18 years that I have been alive, and have been holding a wrench since I could walk. I have broken, Taiwanese and Chinese tools though. I dunno, but I buy American every chance I get to, even though they cost more, I just feel better supporting an american worker.

Although I have been caught working with a taiwanese tool set that was given to me for a christmas present. I curse the ill fitting sockets and sloppy ratchet in my head.
Old 04-17-2004, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

Hey Barsch:NO THANKS!

"Very High Quality" ?!? Have you ever used a Snap-On tool?

"Forged steel" The steel is from an old plow blade and "forging" is done by an underpaid laborer working with a hammer for all I know.

Your perception of quality is obviously different from my own. Along the lines you're talking a Kia is right there with a Mercedes Benz. They're both cars and have four wheels. Kia even says they are great cars. Why spend the money on the Benz right?

Cheap tools are an absolute waste of time in my opinion and more often than not cost you more than a quality tool in the long run.

Wait til you bust one at 1AM the night before a big race and you have no way to get a replacement in time. WHEN that happens come back here and tell us how much you like them.

Have you seen how inexpensive Craftsman tools are? You don't have to buy Snap-On tools to get something that is high quality and made in America.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Zactamundo!!!

I grew up using MAC tools mixed in with some Craftsman stuff. Craftsman is cheap, made in america stuff, and MAC is top of the line American stuff. It made me appreciate quality tools
Old 04-18-2004, 12:18 AM
TECH Junkie

I have some impact sockets from Harbor freight and some from cratsman, I'm not a professional mechanic but the Harbor freight sockets are holding up for me and my weekender stuff. I will say I like my craftsman sockets better though for whatever reason I just feel safer with them. I also have the HF Harmoic Balancer Puller and that worked ok for me as well but I have only had to pull the pulley 1 time with it.

I say if possible support made in US stuff but if you can't afford it then you are left with no choice but to get the China stuff.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:49 AM
TECH Regular

****! I broke a Pittsburgh Line Wrench just trying to change my fuel filter for crying out loud!!!! If that didn't **** me off
Old 04-18-2004, 09:35 PM
Teching In

I always live by the mato-you pay for what you get. You buy cheep tools and you will get cheep quality. I never buy the some of the crappy tools they sell at HF or JCW. I have always owned Snap On tools but I do have some Craftsman. I always want a tool that is dependible and won't have to worry about it breaking.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:22 AM
TECH Veteran

OK'I'll admit some of the stuff is garbage; like the crankshaft pully pullers that I bought.

You have to know what to buy.

I've used Span-on and Mac tools several decades ago and they are great tools especially for professional mechanics; I just object to buying a single line wrench and paying $25 for it when I can buy a VERY good forged imitation from China at $1 a copy.....it is even chrome plated and looks very strong.

I've never been a fan of Craftsman sockets or wrenches; they are ugly and too bulky to get into tight spaces.

I bought a bunch of air tools from China (Central Nuematic) and they are holding up great so far.

On the other hand, I bought a home compressor that craped out after three days....I am sending it back - a real pain....
Old 04-22-2004, 12:15 PM
TECH Veteran

I just received a shipment from Northern Tool. I bought two sets of crow foot wrenches, an air brush, a tubing flair kit....all made in China.

Great stuff.....

...keep this stuff flowing into the country guys....my four double tool chests are overflowing with many tools made in China for dirt-cheap prices....
Old 04-22-2004, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Like folks have been saying - a lot of the Chinese tools are fine for the guy who pulls out one wrench from the set once every two years.. BUT for those of us who are wrenching every weekend and a few days in between, they just won't hold up. Good luck with that flare kit, I tried a Chinese double-flare set and the posts on the anvils popped right off
Old 04-22-2004, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JNorris
I buy Harbor Freight tools for low and one-time only usage applications. For every day use tools I stick with Craftsman.

John
Ditto. Though we did get a elding mask there for like $50, an auto dimming one, the greatest tool investment ever. Anyone that has gone from a hand flip to an auto knows what I am talking about. And they usually run $100+
Old 04-23-2004, 07:45 AM
TECH Veteran

My neighbor is a Snap-on salesman. He says the China tools are KILLING his business.....

I think Snap-on should evaluate it elete pricing policies in view of the keen competition; if they do not, they will go under - guaranteed!
Old 04-24-2004, 04:37 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Arrow

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
If you buy it at the Harbor Freight at least you have
the chance of taking it back as "defective" and get
another one to try and break.
Funny. When a power steering pulley installer tool broke on me the first time I used it, I was told to get lost.
Old 04-25-2004, 04:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
My neighbor is a Snap-on salesman. He says the China tools are KILLING his business.....

I think Snap-on should evaluate it elete pricing policies in view of the keen competition; if they do not, they will go under - guaranteed!
I'll bet. But Snap On still has corporate customers that'll only use them and unlike Harbor Freight etc, you know your getting quality.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2KThunder
Ditto. Though we did get a elding mask there for like $50, an auto dimming one, the greatest tool investment ever. Anyone that has gone from a hand flip to an auto knows what I am talking about. And they usually run $100+

Now try a $300 auto darkening unit like the one I have. I guarantee you'll get less eye fatigue during welding.If you have $50 eyes use a $50 dollar welding helmet.

Quick Reply: Harbor Freight or JC Whittney tools