Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

About to pull the trigger on a MaxJax

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 01:10 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well the time has come for me to look at other options besides jack stands. I'm tired of dealing with them and I'm no small guy (6'2 215lb) my ceilings are 9.5' and my car is 47" tall. In max configuration with the garage door open I can clear about 50-51" clearance to work under. For $2250/free shipping/1 yr no interest/tax included I'm considering the purchase heavily.

The only draw back is with the garage closed I could get as much as 60"+ clearance but the jack only goes 48-49" with the extensions. Is this a good buy or does anyone else know of something similar with a little more height on it?

Last edited by oscs; 12-02-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

This is a non-drive on one right? I hate those kind for everything except exhaust work.

I don't think you will suffer not being able to go the additional 6" due to the lift being maxed out at 54".

Why not look into making some custom spacers to get your 60"? Lift car up a foot or so. Lower car back down on jackstands, install custom taller spacers and lift car again to max travel of lift. Done.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:19 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by smitty2919
This is a non-drive on one right? I hate those kind for everything except exhaust work. I don't think you will suffer not being able to go the additional 6" due to the lift being maxed out at 54". Why not look into making some custom spacers to get your 60"? Lift car up a foot or so. Lower car back down on jackstands, install custom taller spacers and lift car again to max travel of lift. Done.
Yeah non drive on. I'm doing exactly what your saying with the extensions. I have 8" made up already.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

I ended up getting a tape measure to really see what 51" of height really is. It's somewhat awkward to work under. Clearly you can't stand under it and work, so you need to sit on a chair to do any work.

I was spoiled when I got into cars because a friend of mine had a full size lift. So IMO I wouldn't want something unless it is a full size lift. BUT you need a much taller garage ceiling for one.

I might actually entertain this when/if I get a house. But the ceilings would be maybe 6" above the garage door when open which is a worse situation than you.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:27 PM
8 Second Club

I ended up getting a tape measure to really see what 51" of height really is. It's somewhat awkward to work under. Clearly you can't stand under it and work, so you need to sit on a chair to do any work. I was spoiled when I got into cars because a friend of mine had a full size lift. So IMO I wouldn't want something unless it is a full size lift. BUT you need a much taller garage ceiling for one. I might actually entertain this when/if I get a house. But the ceilings would be maybe 6" above the garage door when open which is a worse situation than you.
Yeah I see where your coming from. For me though I can get 60" + with the right adapters.. Even more when the garage is closed. So long as I can roll under it without hitting my head I'll be happy (I'm coming from jack stands)
Old 11-20-2014, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Got ya. I'm 6'1" myself so I'm not "small" either. And in my 1 car apartment garage and jackstands, this would be a HUGE step up LOL.

If you could, post a picture of the car lifted as high as you can and stand next to it to see a height relationship....or stack some tires next to it to see.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:00 PM
8 Second Club

Got ya. I'm 6'1" myself so I'm not "small" either. And in my 1 car apartment garage and jackstands, this would be a HUGE step up LOL. If you could, post a picture of the car lifted as high as you can and stand next to it to see a height relationship....or stack some tires next to it to see.
Sure thing. I should have it bolted up by Saturday night.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:50 PM
8 Second Club

First one is my buddy TJ and he's 6'2. This is with no spacers.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Soooo..what do you think? I was looking at something like this. I have 9.5 ft ceilings in my garage.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:21 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ping King
Soooo..what do you think? I was looking at something like this. I have 9.5 ft ceilings in my garage.
This thing is badass. I also have 9.5" ceilings. I will say that it is much easier to work on the car when it is sitting at 48/49" at my height. But it is great even at 45"

Last edited by oscs; 12-02-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Glad to find someone who has some experience with this thing, i have been looking into it and a scissor lift. Max lift height has kinda bothered me though, and trying to figure out where to put it in the garage. I have a lot of floor space but its a basement garage so the air ducting is an issue for the area i had planned to put it. The info i saw puts the lift height at 45" with just the pads and 48" with the truck extensions. while do able most of the cars i work on would require being lifted up just to get the swing arms under it with the truck extensions.

im 5'11 and would like something that could lift it high enough for me to set under it on a roller chair. Ive got a restoration on a 70 camaro coming and it would be nice to get it up high enough to work on to set the rear suspension.

still undecided i guess
Old 12-01-2014, 09:28 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
Glad to find someone who has some experience with this thing, i have been looking into it and a scissor lift. Max lift height has kinda bothered me though, and trying to figure out where to put it in the garage. I have a lot of floor space but its a basement garage so the air ducting is an issue for the area i had planned to put it. The info i saw puts the lift height at 45" with just the pads and 48" with the truck extensions. while do able most of the cars i work on would require being lifted up just to get the swing arms under it with the truck extensions. im 5'11 and would like something that could lift it high enough for me to set under it on a roller chair. Ive got a restoration on a 70 camaro coming and it would be nice to get it up high enough to work on to set the rear suspension. still undecided i guess

This thing will be the best money you spent. To be able to roll around under my car and access 99.8% of everything with nothing in my way is priceless. A scissor jack would just get in my way. The amount of work I've been able to knock out has doubled in the same time frame, not to mention I'm comfortable doing so. The lift will raise the vehicle 48" and 51" with the truck adapters. 51/52" is plenty if you ask me and I'm 6'2. Buy yourself a stool that is about 17" off the ground or less and you'll be golden.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:45 AM
TECH Veteran

^ thats interesting that they have different height specs on their site

I have a full height 2 post lift, but couldnt get it into the house im in now, and the building I had it in has been over run by my family's junk...... such is life.

i agree with you on the scissor lift giving some limited access by comparison. if you have worked under a 2 post lift ever you get kinda spoiled with the amount of access you get.

so on just pads you can get 48"? sounds like my decision just got made i think.
though something i am curious about and if you dont mind could you give me a rough estimate the size the base plates are? I have snap down flooring in my garage and my plan was to make two 2'x2' sections removable for where the anchors would be mounted than i could cover it back up when im not using it
Old 12-01-2014, 09:51 AM
8 Second Club

^ thats interesting that they have different height specs on their site I have a full height 2 post lift, but couldnt get it into the house im in now, and the building I had it in has been over run by my family's junk...... such is life. i agree with you on the scissor lift giving some limited access by comparison. if you have worked under a 2 post lift ever you get kinda spoiled with the amount of access you get. so on just pads you can get 48"? sounds like my decision just got made i think. though something i am curious about and if you dont mind could you give me a rough estimate the size the base plates are? I have snap down flooring in my garage and my plan was to make two 2'x2' sections removable for where the anchors would be mounted than i could cover it back up when im not using it
Yeah I was getting a lot of different height #'s when I was shopping. I think you will get different numbers depending on which car you are working on as the lift points can vary. Now that I think about it the 45" number is likely the distance from the floor to the bottom of the lifting arm. I will verify all of this when I get home tonight. I can tell you that the base plate is definetly less than 24"X24" though.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:08 AM
TECH Veteran

that measurement would make more sense, and thanks so much for taking the time to check out the dimensions.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

What did you do to secure the posts? Drill a hole in the concrete then pound in one of those expanding threaded studs?

If I ever got one I would like to use threaded inserts in the ground that you simply use bolts to secure it. When you are done you can remove the posts and have no studs sticking out of the floor.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:24 AM
8 Second Club

that measurement would make more sense, and thanks so much for taking the time to check out the dimensions.
No worries
Old 12-01-2014, 10:40 AM
8 Second Club

What did you do to secure the posts? Drill a hole in the concrete then pound in one of those expanding threaded studs? If I ever got one I would like to use threaded inserts in the ground that you simply use bolts to secure it. When you are done you can remove the posts and have no studs sticking out of the floor.
The lift comes with (10) 7/8 anchors (5 per pillar.) You drill about 6" and hammer the threaded anchors in. The lift also comes with sacrificial bolts/washers etc. All you literally need is a hammer drill and a few concrete bits. Once everything is mounted there are no studs sticking up and the garage floor is clear. I would however gets some countersunk bolts to keep the holes covered up when your not using the lift.

Word of advise (if you don't have the drill bits and a big hammer drill) Just rent a hammer drill from home depot etc. The drill bits come with the rental which is badass and the whole thing costs about $50 to rent. The drill bits where over $50 if purchased separately.

Installation tip:

Once you pillars are in place, Take the 7/8 drill bit and start your hole (any one is fine for the first one.) Once you have drilled a1/4" or so pull the 7/8" out and throw in your pilot hole bit (5/8") and drill the remainder of the hole with this. After you reach your target depth go back in with the 7/8". Once the hole is cleaned and ready, Bang your anchors in and tighten the bolt down pinning the column (don't torque it just give it a good tighten to prevent the column from moving.) follow this step for the rest of the holes and you will have (10) perfectly drilled/located holes.

It is extremely difficult to perfectly line up your pilot hole dead center everytime and will likely leave you with mis placed holes. The 7/8" drill bit is damn near the same size as the 1" hole so that's why I say to start with that. It will give you a perfectly centered hole everytime.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:35 AM
8 Second Club

Well I guess what I read was horse ****. The bottom of my car sits at 45" so with the truck adapters it would be about 48"

With that said I am still able to roll around without any trouble.

Last edited by oscs; 12-02-2014 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for the heads up oscs i appreciate it, still debating i guess

Quick Reply: About to pull the trigger on a MaxJax