Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Matco Tools (tap & die set)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 02:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Matco Tools (tap & die set)

What do you guys think about Matco tools? I ordered a tap & die set from them. Does this seem like a good set? It also comes with a dedicated set of drills and screw extractors (in the plastic case).
Attached Thumbnails Matco Tools (tap & die set)-676tdp.jpg  
Old 01-28-2006, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

Will Matco warranty those if something goes wrong? I have heard that most of those tap and die tools sold by Snap On, Craftsman, Matco, etc are outsourced from Vermont American. Not that that's a bad thing. There are better taps and dies out there (Greenlee, Cleveland), but for your purposes, they may be overkill - esp. if your Matco guy will stand behind the ones that he sells you.

Click here for more info on the topic:

http://garagejunkies.net/showthread....hlight=tap+die

http://garagejunkies.net/showthread....hlight=tap+die
Old 01-28-2006, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

I appreciate the links! Thanks.

Matco says they will replace any defective or malfunctioning tool. They call their taps "industrial carbon steel." I wonder if that's the same as just carbon steel? The drill bits are HSS. As a car enthusiast, I got these as just something to have on hand should I need them.

I added Garage Junkies to my Favorites list. Thanks.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

matco tools are great. i have used the tap and die set before good quality. matco =$ tho. only drawback
Old 01-28-2006, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Predator
I appreciate the links! Thanks.

Matco says they will replace any defective or malfunctioning tool. They call their taps "industrial carbon steel." I wonder if that's the same as just carbon steel? The drill bits are HSS. As a car enthusiast, I got these as just something to have on hand should I need them.

I added Garage Junkies to my Favorites list. Thanks.
*I* would think that they would be just carbon steel unless notated HSS. Also - and this is just food for thought here - Matco may not warranty them because they can be considered a "consuamble." That's pretty much par for the course with Craftsman too. Although I did get some Snap On taps warrantied. Go figure...
Old 01-28-2006, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

I ordered their 76 piece set a few months ago under their Votec program. I think I only paid around $130ish for them. So far, they've been good for me, but I've not used them much.

I saw somewhere that Irwin-Hanson made the Snap On kits but Vermont American made the Matco/Craftsman/etc....
Old 01-29-2006, 01:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by purple98haz28
matco tools are great. i have used the tap and die set before good quality. matco =$ tho. only drawback
Fellas, appreciate the replies!

I don't make a habit of buying high-end tools. I have mostly Craftsman tools, which I've been very pleased with, but I couldn't find a Craftsman tap & die set that I wanted to buy. The set above is a little over $200. without the HSS drills and screw extractors, a little over $300. with them. I like the idea of having great quality drills to use with just the tap & die set. I suppose you could use any drill, but I'd hate to snap a drill bit off in a bolt I was trying to extract.

Taps & dies are definitely one of those "save your ***" type of tools that you might not need that often, but when you do need them, you'd be real happy to have them.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Predator
Taps & dies are definitely one of those "save your ***" type of tools that you might not need that often, but when you do need them, you'd be real happy to have them.
ABSOLUTELY! Good luck with your purchase.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:32 PM
Launching!

I bought a set of Mac tap and dies. Just because i use them everyday at work.. so when i goof up and break one i get free replacements. For what i would use at home that set will be sweet. Just always use oil and when the tap gets tight back it off and you shouldnt have any problems.
Ive used most every tap out there. The better name brands cut new threads very nicely.. as the lower brands need a little more working.. But as far as chaseing threads/ clearing out paint, i almost like cheaper taps.. they will bend a lil knowing your putting alot on it. Mac and snap on taps can shatter witout warning. Ive bought a set of tap exractors through a machining compny that if not beat on the broke tap will back right out. You can have the best bits in the world... you cant drill a tap out.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:49 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks eschoendorff!

smokin, thanks for the info. I have some cutting oil, and I know about the grease trick to catch the metal chips, if necessary. I used to be a machinist/mechanical inspector when I was a kid, so I'm very familiar with using taps and dies.

My first project, though, is a stripped Torx bolt on my Harley that holds the fork tube. I rounded the Torx hole replacing a fork slider. I was lucky that I was able to complete the repair without removing the tube, but that messed up bolt remains, and I'd like to swap it out. As I think about it, my tap & die set will probably get more of a workout on my bike than the T/A. Motorcycles are tougher to work on than cars. Fasteners are so tight, obviously for safety, and since most of the mechanicals are exposed, you have to be careful not to scratch and ding things. Thanks.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:09 PM
TECH Regular

I have this same set, the taps work great and the drill bit set with it is really nice. The only downfall to this set is the screw extractors, they suck, not one time have they worked for me.

Last edited by vodas00ss; 01-30-2006 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the head's up about the screw extractors. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:30 PM
Launching!

I think part of the warranty plays on who the dealer is. I know my matco dealer is VERY good at replacing anything that i break. I have had screw extractors and bits replaced several times by him with no problem... even stuff that is my fault, like screwdrivers used as prybars (Who hasent done it!). My snap-on dealer was the same way.

On the other hand, my current MAC dealer wont warrany a damn thing for me, so i dont buy my tools from him any more. Simple as that.

Thats been my experience with the tools guys anyways.. take it for what its worth

Quick Reply: Matco Tools (tap & die set)