Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Bolt breaks, use ez out. ez out breaks???

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 12:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bolt breaks, use ez out. ez out breaks???

I know it's not a car or truck, but i was replacing the chain on my dirtcycle and one of the wheel tensioner bolts broke on the rear swingarm. I decided to go buy some PB blaster, some long a$$ drill bit and a few easy outs. I sprayed the pb blaster, waited about a half of an hour, drilled it just fine, straight and all the way through. I put the easy out in and it turned about a quarter turn and then snapped. Now i cant even drill through the easy out because it's hardened and the bolt is totally stuck in there. Now what? I really don't want to buy a new swingarm, partly because i dont want to spend the money, but mostly because i dont know what year bike it is because i bought it used.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:05 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you have access to both sides of the bolt? If you do you should be able to tap the easy out all the way out the far side with a punch. If you have a mig welder and there some of the bolt still sticking out you can weld a nut to the bolt and quench it with oil before it cools. The heating and quick cooling ahould make the bolt break free and the nut gives you something to grab with a wrench. If you don`t have a welder.....um mabey a propane torch to heat it, quench it with oil and try another easy out?
Old 09-24-2006, 11:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never had good luck with ezouts... you almost always end up breaking them. Supposedly the trick is to get the hole in the middle as big as possible and then they either work or what is left of the bolt falls apart and you’re still good.

I like the nut + welder trick. Otherwise you can drill the ezout out with enough drill bits or grind it out with a carbide burr (I actually like the carbide tile cutters that they make for rotozips).
Old 09-25-2006, 10:05 AM
TECH Veteran

yea carbite owns all. i have a set of bits/burrs/etc of all carbite and they have yet not to break or disappoint me.

Originally Posted by Silverback
I've never had good luck with ezouts... you almost always end up breaking them. Supposedly the trick is to get the hole in the middle as big as possible and then they either work or what is left of the bolt falls apart and you’re still good.

I like the nut + welder trick. Otherwise you can drill the ezout out with enough drill bits or grind it out with a carbide burr (I actually like the carbide tile cutters that they make for rotozips).
Old 09-27-2006, 01:02 AM
TECH Addict

You have to work slowly and methodically when using a screw extractor. As was mentioned you need to driil as need as possible at the center of the fastener AND you need to drill out as much as you can WITHOUT touching the threads to allow you to use the largest possible size EZ out for that size of fastener. You can't force an EZ out for if you do the result won't be as desired. You have to turn it slowly and work it back and forth making a little progress at a time until it starts to turn out more smoothly. If the threads are damaged you've got a real problem on your hands, but if they are not gauled up you should be able to get it out with patience.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:19 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

A few engine or fab shops have a burner that eats away old broken bolts. Hard to find, but might be the only option left.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:28 PM
Banned

when i break them a lot of times you can take drift punches and hit the easyout and shatter it. they are hard to shatter but when they do shatter it all shatters at once and then take a magnet and get hte pieces out.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:50 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ease out cannot be drilled. They are too hard. Even if you have a bolt bit. You choice ar to listen to G-Body, or chip it out witha punch. As it is hard, you can chip it out. The last resort is to go toa machine shop that has an EDM machine. It can burn out the broken bolt and ease out, and not touch the old threads.

http://www.engineersedge.com/edm.shtml
Old 10-23-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Resident

You should of heated the area with a small propane tourch ..... that always works for me...
Old 10-26-2006, 06:40 PM
Teching In

I had a buddy break one off and he came borrowed my torches got it glowing red and he said it drilled right out. Never tried it but he said it worked great.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think Matco knows about how easily ez-outs break, so they made a trick ez-out set that has slots on the side of the ez-out tap, so if you break it, you stick this tool that comes with the set in there to extract it. It also works on regular taps as well.. I think the set was about $130 with 4 different ez-outs and the extraction tool..
Old 11-13-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

Mig weld a bolt to it and lefty loosey it out.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

What size is the bolt? Seconds on the EDM, if you can't get it out.

Quick Reply: Bolt breaks, use ez out. ez out breaks???