Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Thoughts on the Craftsman professional floorjack?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 11:36 AM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Thoughts on the Craftsman professional floorjack?

I believe its the professional series because its black and yellow. From what Ive seen so far, the professional series is supposed to be better. (that goes for everything) If I remember correctly, it says that it raises fast. It looks pretty slim and low to me, but I would by no means call it a racing jack. I tried to pick it up to see how it looked inside, but no way was I picking it up. I could of if I tried hard enough, but if I have to try, then its not lightweight. Im not looking for racing jack, but I was wondering if anyone has used this one or is currently using one? Ive got a regular Craftsman (that I may sell soon) and it works great, but its not low enough and it raises just as fas as any other typical floor jack. I could of swore that the professional series box says that it raises up faster with less pumps, but can someone verify this? So far about 98% of my tools if Craftsman and I would like to stick with brand for the floor jack, but if its not worth spending the money, then I will buy elsewhere. As I stated, Im just looking for a good floor jack for the garage, doesnt have to be a racing one, and I dont want to spend too much money. I want the "most bang for the buck" floor jack. What Im most worried about is the height of the jack when lowered, the pumps it takes to raise it, and the durability/longevity. Thanks guys and any input is appreicated!
Old 08-30-2003, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: What do ya'll think of the Craftsman professional floorjack?

I own this jack. It is very hard to jack up my TA with it. It's not long enough,the saddle height is too high,it takes too many pumps to reach a decent height,lowers VERY quickly unless you barely move the handle,is made poorly (body is warped),it's made in china,etc.
I really don't have much good to say about this jack other than it's not TOO heavy,it was fairly cheap and I got two free "made in commie china" jack stands with it....
Look at MAC's jacks they have a pretty decent jack at a reasonable price. I'm getting a MAC as soon as I get some extra cash.
Old 08-30-2003, 09:23 PM
9 Second Club NA

Are you referring to the all black one or the black and yellow one? I own the all black one which is the regular series, but the want that I wanted to try out is the Professional series and its black and yellow. It claims that it supposed to use less pumps and lower saddle, etc. but from what you have to say about it, doesnt seem what it says to be. Just wanted to clarify. Thanks and by the way, where do you get the Mac jacks at?
Old 08-30-2003, 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

this is the jack I have: http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summ...ession.new=Yes

nice link huh?

As for the MAC you can talk to a MAC tools guy.The only place I have seen it is in a local repair shop and on a MAC truck.
Old 08-30-2003, 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, thats the one I have also. Takes forever to jack the car up. After two years of severe use, its starting to make some weird noises as it goes up. I might be shopping for another jack pretty soon.
Old 08-31-2003, 09:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have the craftsman professional floor jack. its nice, works great.

the saddle is a little higher than i would like, im stock height and it just fits under the car. also it is fuggen heavy

overall though it is a nice inexpensive jack imo
Old 09-02-2003, 02:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i have the sears one it sucks spend the money and get a lincion brand of the welders. It is very low and is better.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

I have that jack. Too high for my stock height LT1 T/A k-member. Fits under my friend's LS1 though. It is one pump for the saddle to meet the car, but many pumps to get the wheels off of the ground. A great jack for my redneck truck (big tires and lift). VERY heavy (92 lbs???) Just my .02
Old 09-02-2003, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't like the Craftsman jacks. My experience is they have a short lifespan, and the "one pump" units that raise the jack to chassis height more than make up for that in the subsequent pumps.... SLOWWWWW. My experience has also been that Sears will NOT sell an overhaul kit for their jacks, you have to bring it to an authorized service center and have it rebuilt. I think the rebuild fee is a firm $50 or $100 if I remember correctly.

If you're looking for a decent jack, look at something made by Lincoln or OTC. They're excellent, pro quality, used in a lot of shops, and cheaper than a MAC or Snap On jack. The one thing I love about the Snap On's though is the handle doesn't get forced up to 90 degrees, more like 45. That protects the car from having the jack handle fly up into a door or something, as well as make it easier to get far under the car to a rear or transmission. They pump up pretty fast too. Their 2 1/2 ton jack is probably the most popular but pricey at $564.

But Lincoln and OTC make a good jack ideal for home use in the $200 range, that's probably your best bet. Look in the phone book for a local tool store, they probably sell Lincoln or OTC.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

I own this jack. It is very hard to jack up my TA with it. It's not long enough,the saddle height is too high,it takes too many pumps to reach a decent height,lowers VERY quickly unless you barely move the handle,is made poorly (body is warped),it's made in china,etc.
I really don't have much good to say about this jack other than it's not TOO heavy,it was fairly cheap and I got two free "made in commie china" jack stands with it....
Look at MAC's jacks they have a pretty decent jack at a reasonable price. I'm getting a MAC as soon as I get some extra cash.
Yup, my sentiments exactly. Since the cage install on my car I cant even get the saddle under the Kmember. I have to use the factory jack to lift it a couple inches and the slide the CRAPSman under. I will be looking into a lightweight aluminum jack in the VERY near future.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:39 PM
TECH Junkie

I like MAC better its a little better manufactured.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

I have that jack. Too high for my stock height LT1 T/A k-member. Fits under my friend's LS1 though. It is one pump for the saddle to meet the car, but many pumps to get the wheels off of the ground.
I agree on the many pumps to get a vehicle up w/ this jack but all aroud does a good job. we use it on my friends stock height LT-1 and have not a problem getting it under his. as for the life span on sears jacks they last pretty well i think. my grandfather has some longer than i can even remember and they work very well and they are used pretty hard still. proper care of your jacks by oiling them will keep them running strong.

JR
Old 09-04-2003, 03:13 PM
Teching In

Just a suggestion. www.homier.com has an all aluminum "racing" jack for $99. Saddle height is 3.54", length is just under 2' if I remember correctly. 43lbs also, liiiight.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the Craftsman professional floorjack?