Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Got caught doing a burnout

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 05:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got caught doing a burnout UPDATED

UPDATE 1/8/2007

So after calling many times since I got my ticket, the court finally had the ticket in the system. Going through the automated thing it said amount due: $1320.00 . That was a bummer hearing. Continuing on, push 5 to listen to violations, ok did that.

Exhibition of Power: $190.00
Insurance Required: $1130.00

What a relief, assuming when I present my insurance to them the insurance violation gets dropped. I'm sure it will right? Anyways, I'll go to court, ask for reduced bail since its my first violation, show them my proof of insurance and be happy that it wasn't as bad as I feared it was going to be. Thanks for the support.

James

So I was in vegas visiting a friend and leaving his house to come back to california I did a little burnout. Cop came out from a sidestreet and saw me pulling away with a little smoke (wasnt that huge of a burnout, just dropped the clutch from a stop and lit em up). Well he pulled me over and gave me an "Exhibition of Power" ticket. 14.24.060 is the NRS/County/City #.

14.24.060 Speed contests.

A. Prohibited. No person shall engage in any motor vehicle speed contest or exhibition of speed on a highway or street and no person shall aid or abet in any such motor vehicle speed contest or exhibition upon any highway or street.

B. Barricade. No person shall for the purpose of facilitating or aiding or as an incident to any vehicle speed contest upon a highway or street in any manner obstruct or place any barricade or obstruction or assist or participate in placing any such barricade or obstruction upon any highway or street. (Ord. 230 § 6(G), 1965)
I looked it up, violation code G, and its a $1130 ticket . Isn't that harsh? Speed Contest ticket for doing a burnout? Anyways, this is my first ticket, just wondering what I am in for and what I should expect. Court date is January 29th 2007. Do I need to get a lawyer for something like this? What are the odds of getting it reduced etc. Thanks for the help.

James

Last edited by Jimmard; 01-08-2007 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

WOW! That sucks! Sorry to hear bout that.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Show up and hope the cop doesn't show up.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 98redM6
Show up and hope the cop doesn't show up.
And if he does? I'm screwed? Could I lose my license over this? What are the consequences? Losing my license for spinning my tires
Old 11-03-2006, 07:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That seems way to steep for a burnout!!
Old 11-03-2006, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BayAreaSS
That seems way to steep for a burnout!!
Yeah no kidding. I wasnt being disrespectful or anything. I kept my mouth shut and answered all his questions nicely. Didnt argue with him, wasnt being a jerk. Wasnt like I pissed him off or anything other than my burnout.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He must of been bored or something. That is ridiculous
Old 11-03-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Resident

First ticket, you might be able to get the plead bargain on it. Wait till the 2 weeks or whatever for the ticket to get processed and call the clerk or pd or whatever it says to do. See what the status on the situation is. Normally they're good about lettin ya off easy for your first ticket but I'm not sure if it'll hold true in your case since thats such a big ticket. If they dont then you might need to look into gettin a lawyer. Another trick that I've heard about but never bothered trying is to reschedule your court date. The cop that issued your ticket is givin that day off for court appearances. Call them and say you have prior arrangements that you absolutely cannot cancel and get them to give you another court date. Hopefully its a day that the cop is on the streets and he wont show up to the new court date. Ive always been given the plead bargain so I figured I'd take that instead of risking the cop showing up on the new court date and me getting pinned for the full ticket.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dementia
First ticket, you might be able to get the plead bargain on it. Wait till the 2 weeks or whatever for the ticket to get processed and call the clerk or pd or whatever it says to do. See what the status on the situation is. Normally they're good about lettin ya off easy for your first ticket but I'm not sure if it'll hold true in your case since thats such a big ticket. If they dont then you might need to look into gettin a lawyer. Another trick that I've heard about but never bothered trying is to reschedule your court date. The cop that issued your ticket is givin that day off for court appearances. Call them and say you have prior arrangements that you absolutely cannot cancel and get them to give you another court date. Hopefully its a day that the cop is on the streets and he wont show up to the new court date. Ive always been given the plead bargain so I figured I'd take that instead of risking the cop showing up on the new court date and me getting pinned for the full ticket.

i have heard of the same... . kept re scheduling it... so the DA has to keep post poning it.. and the cop would have to do the same so finially they will just say "... its not worth it"... But you are most likley goign to needa lawyer to do something like that.. Keep post poining it over and over... If it was just you by yourself you might not have as good a chance with a lawyer... its a personal call i think ..
Old 11-03-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

got pulled over for doin a burnout back in late september and it was only a $160.000 fine and i have the option to take driving school do get it off my record

....sounds damn steep for just a burnout.... there's something wrong there... call into the courts and get an explanation
Old 11-03-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Veteran

must be a jealous mustang owner.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my buddy got caught doing a burnout in his '68 Mustang... they impounded his car and put him on house arrest for 2-3 weeks... then he had to pay over 3k to get it out of impound...
Old 11-04-2006, 10:41 AM
Staging Lane

Well at least you kept your car a friend of mine got his took for 30 days for doin a burn out so youre lucky
Old 11-04-2006, 11:36 AM
Staging Lane

It shouldn't be on your driving record if it happened in another state right?
Old 11-04-2006, 11:50 AM
12 Second Club

Pay it!
Old 11-04-2006, 01:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1QuickBlkZ28
It shouldn't be on your driving record if it happened in another state right?
Really? So if I just pay it I wont have to go to traffic school and it wont show up on my record in California? If its not on my record in California will my car insurance still go up if I dont get it off my record in Nevada? Based on what some of you guys are saying in here, even tho the ticket is a lot of $$$ I think I should consider myself lucky that I didnt get arrested.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
must be a jealous mustang owner.

Could be
Old 11-04-2006, 02:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Been there done that, just drop the money on a lawyer and have him take care of it. I'm glad I listened to the guys here on tech when I posted my burnout story a few years back. I was facing 90 days in jail plus fines...I went to court 3 times until it all got settled....for a fricken burnout

The lawyer got it dropped and it removed from my record as well. Now my driving record is clean. The lawyer charged my 500 bucks, so it wasn't too bad.
J
Old 11-04-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

I got the same ticket and I only paid 175
Old 11-04-2006, 07:30 PM
Teching In

I got one of those five years ago in San Diego. They call it "exhibition of speed" and it is a misdemeanor. I hired a guy known as Mr. Ticket and he got it dropped.

I'm an attorney now, and believe me when I say, the DA will cut a deal almost 100% of the time when an attorney walks in on something like this. The traffic division of the DA is loaded down with cases, and most of the time the deputy DAs just want the cases gone. You probably won't even need to go into court; your attorney will take care of it for you.

Quick Reply: Got caught doing a burnout