Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

IM new here plz help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool IM new here plz help!

Hi,

just like the title says... I bought a 1970 Chevelle SS and I want to slap on an LS2 or LS6 not sure Im still looking into which one has more potential. I plan to have somewhere around 450hp. I heard alot of good things about the LS2 having more potential is this true? If so where can I find a used one? I would like it with the tranny too. Also is there a lot of of modification that I have to do in order for one of these engines and tranny to fit into the Chevelle? I see it has been done I just want to know what Im looking at.

Your help is greatly appreciated
Old 04-19-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

there is alot of modification required to the tunnel of the chevelle to make it fit properly with a t56, you can check in the conversion section to get some ideas.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

definitely start with an LS2 over an LS6
Old 04-19-2007, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

dunno,....I think it might just be cheaper to go with a stroked LS1/6. You can find these motors much more easily in a yard and add some much higher quality parts to it IMO! ...... Where you get'n your ECU from tho?
Old 04-19-2007, 03:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
dunno,....I think it might just be cheaper to go with a stroked LS1/6. You can find these motors much more easily in a yard and add some much higher quality parts to it IMO! ...... Where you get'n your ECU from tho?
you can make 450rwhp cam only with an LS2 which he said is his goal. a stroked LS1 would cost way more than a cam only LS2.

not to mention, if you get an LS2, you can always stroke it in the future and have a 402 instead of a 383
Old 04-19-2007, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

LS1/6 can get stroked out to 396. (Thats what i'm do'n ...) And I mentioned it cuz you can pick up a used LS1 core from a yard for a few hundred bucks...(seriously) ... spend 3K....to 3,500 for the rest of the engine components....1,600 for a built tranny from a place like the ToyShop and he'd be fine.

Just using it as a reference cuz I'm already priced out for this exact parts list.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

I don't know the exact pricing on an LS2 w/ tranny but I think it might be more than 5k-5,500! .... just my .02!
Old 04-19-2007, 05:13 PM

Thanks alot guys for your quick response!! More inputs are welcome though. And as far as price I am willing to cough up 5.5K for the engine and tranny if it means that with just cams I could get 450whp... IMO that is def. worth it. Where would my troubles be in the installation? in the engine or the tranny mounts?

Thanks guys glad I joined this forum
Old 04-19-2007, 05:16 PM
TECH Resident

How much you take for that Chevelle? don't hack up a 396 car!!!! Is it real? fwiw a LS2 with trans etc is about 8k...LS1 would be way cheaper and still fun, just do heads n cam.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 70ChevelleSS
Thanks alot guys for your quick response!! More inputs are welcome though. And as far as price I am willing to cough up 5.5K for the engine and tranny if it means that with just cams I could get 450whp... IMO that is def. worth it. Where would my troubles be in the installation? in the engine or the tranny mounts?

Thanks guys glad I joined this forum
The only real headache I can think of with what your try'n to do is the ******* wiring!! .... I wouldn't touch that **** with a ten foot pole! Then again,...I HATE wiring!
Old 04-19-2007, 08:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sercastiK
How much you take for that Chevelle? don't hack up a 396 car!!!! Is it real? fwiw a LS2 with trans etc is about 8k...LS1 would be way cheaper and still fun, just do heads n cam.
hes right....and its not really a big deal to convert anymore...everyone and their brother makes kits to bolt the ls1/t56 to older chevy iron
Old 04-19-2007, 08:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
The only real headache I can think of with what your try'n to do is the ******* wiring!! .... I wouldn't touch that **** with a ten foot pole! Then again,...I HATE wiring!
it doesnt take much skill to rewire a factory harness for standalone...all you really need is a vats box and a schematic....or you can buy a standalone from speartech with a trade for a factory core for like 400, and only have to hook up three or four wires
Old 04-19-2007, 09:59 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really not a big deal...

For your goals I would recommend this:

Pick up a used LS1 with low miles...

Add a MS4 cam and CNC Ported LS6 heads = 450rwhp through a 6-speed...

OR add a Thunder Racing 224/228 and Stage II AFR's = 440+rwhp through a 6-speed...

Buy an aftermarket wiring harness (VERY EASY plug an play)...

Buy misc. items to make it drop right in (sold by many different vendors)...

GO HAVE FUN !

An LS1 is cheaper and can get you to your goals very easily plus the parts are more availble (ex. more wrecked F-Bodies that GTOs)!
Old 04-19-2007, 11:36 PM

THe Chevelle is a real SS... it has the right dashboard, hood, bumpers checked vin.. Did my HW before i purchased it. You guys think if I restore everything with upgraded suspension,baer brake kit, ls2 and tranny, with original interior would i actually lose value as compared to getting a 454 and installing that? 454 or LS2??

Thanks for ur input fellas!!
Old 04-19-2007, 11:38 PM
TECH Regular

if its not a numbers car its not going to bring the big money....unless you have acess to the #'s engine/trans/rear, put a gen 3 in it
Old 04-20-2007, 12:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ss496
if its not a numbers car its not going to bring the big money....unless you have acess to the #'s engine/trans/rear, put a gen 3 in it
Yeah but all the other modifications required to put an LS1/LS2 in would lower the value...

If you are worried about re-sale then don't do a conversion

Conversions require finding the right buyer...
Old 04-20-2007, 02:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

honestly, id go the ls1/6 route. remember that the ls2 has drive by wire, while it might not be a big deal, its an extra headache to worry about.

i guess it can be bypassed, er i mean the TB can be replaced...not sure which way youre going there, but i still say LS1/6. keep in mind that the aftermarket parts are cheaper on these motors too since theyve been around longer.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fast01z28
honestly, id go the ls1/6 route. remember that the ls2 has drive by wire, while it might not be a big deal, its an extra headache to worry about.

i guess it can be bypassed, er i mean the TB can be replaced...not sure which way youre going there, but i still say LS1/6. keep in mind that the aftermarket parts are cheaper on these motors too since theyve been around longer.

Again, you're only going for 450rwhp... Easily attained with an LS1. Throw a 150hp shot on top of that for $hits and giggles and call it a day

Now, if you were shooting for 500rwhp+ with daily driveability then yeah, start bigger with an LS2... Heck, if that were the case I'd just buy that SLP crate engine (the one that is sans heads) and then try to get a set of the L98's
Old 04-20-2007, 08:41 AM
10 Second Club

450 rwhp can be reached with an LS1 with just a cam also. You can get over 500 rwhp with heads/cam if you wish. You can by a used engine/tranny through Billy Graham's F-body junkyard in Alabama. He keeps nothing but F-bodies there, and has everything you need. He ships parts out within a couple of days. Then, get in touch with Vengeance Racing (Sponsor on the Board) for one of their Vindicator packages for heads and cam. Then, if you don't wish to do a lot of wiring, put a victor jr intake on it and run the carb set up. Kit can be purchased through Summit.

Good luck. Or, make us all jealous and put a 572 in it.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:59 AM

Thumbs up

Once again I can't tell you guys how thankful I am with all the input (for a newbie) I do plan on staying with this ride for a while and enjoy it (since its a frame off resto) BUT I am concerned in re-sale because I know eventually I'll get over it and want a new project... SO every1 on here would say IF that is a big deal with me might as well put in a 454 (ol' skool engine) and just work from there right? IF I knew that I wasn't losing value by doing to ls1/6 conversation as oppose to the 454 then I would go for it BUT it does play a role.... IM so confused, I bought the car w/out tranny and engine (stupid previous owner sold original engine and tranny separate.. don't know what was he thinking) thats how I know its a real SS he had pics... OF course if I do go the 454 route it won't be matching numbers car do u guys think lets say 3 to 4 yrs down the road IF i do a legit job I'll be able to get sumthing in the 35k to 40k range right?? The reason I say that is b/c I see non matching # cars on ebay going for that much. AND I see replicas with non SS components of course fully resto for about 25k to 35k. IS this right? as far as how much I'm looking at WHEN I do decide to sell it? I plan on doing all new suspension, upgraded brake kit, 20's, original int.

Thanks guys

Quick Reply: IM new here plz help!