Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Can R888's be used as a street tire?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Can R888's be used as a street tire?

I don't put many miles on my car (23,000 so far), but I'm looking for a tire with good grip & an agressive look to replace my BFG KD's. The car is never in the rain & I don't go to the track at all, but I do drive it like I stole it & the car is putting down 400 rwhp.

I live in Missouri, so there are going to be days that I drive in 40 degree temps from time to time. If heat cycles kill the Toyo's quickly then I'm not sure those will work.

I was going to go with the KDW's but nobody can seem to get the new tread pattern right now & I need to get mine replaced really soon.

I've looked at the Nittos, but I don't like how narrow they look.

Any thoughts?

Shay
Old 04-02-2010, 12:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the R888's can be a street tire. They handle moisture better than my MT's
Old 04-02-2010, 08:02 AM
TECH Addict

i wouldnt. they 'can' be used in the sense of being able to drive (short distances) to an autox or a track. i would never use them as a regular tire. its a real r-compound, and it WILL heat cycle itself out long before the tread wears out. plus any time at all below 50 will harden them to bowling *****.

if it never sees rain, and youre not against spending alot of money on tires, look at BFG KDs. or NT05s. or falken 615s for that matter. but, consider the price vs. use of them. i barely put 200 street miles a year on my car, so whats the point of getting $1k tires that will only last 2yrs before they harden up? i HAVE track tires, slicks and 615s. for the very little -completely dry- street miles i do, cheap sumis are good enough.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That's what I was afraid of. If the KD's still came in my size, I wouldn't even be considering anything else. I'm looking for something as close to that tire as possible.

Shay
Old 04-03-2010, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Kumho XS or the NT-05 (or even the Falken RT-615) would be my top 3 for the stickiest street tire than can handle multiple heat cycles.

What size do you need?
Old 04-03-2010, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Kumho XS or the NT-05 (or even the Falken RT-615) would be my top 3 for the stickiest street tire than can handle multiple heat cycles.

What size do you need?
Old 04-03-2010, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i use r888's as a street tire and i think i'll stick with them.

just be warned that they do make some noise (lifted truck with swamper tires) and will wear pretty quick if you DRIVE on them. i wouldn't worry so much about heat cycles as compared to the falken rt-615s. i've had a few sets of rt-615s on this and other cars, but i was ready to get rid of the falken rt-615s at about half tread. they started gripping worse than the cheapest set of street tires i ever had on the car. it seemed like just after a few miles, they just didn't really grip when you put any real power to them.

r888's on the other hand, even after half the tread wore away, i was able to mash the throttle (2.5str 3600 stall) from a dead stop and they're still golden to me. the rt-615s were pure crap in that respect - might as well been trying it in the rain.
another tire you could consider would be the toyo RA-1.
r888's are supposed to be the "next generation" street legal competition tire from toyo as compared to the ra-1... however, there are mixed reviews in comparing the 2. regardless, the ra-1 is known to handle heat cycles very well (just google ra-1 and "heat cycles" and you'll find tons of feedback from actual drivers) judging by how well my own r888's are doing in that respect, i'd have to say the compound must be pretty damned similar.

you can't get stuck in that crazy MO rain with any of these tires.
The following users liked this post:
2002silverz28matt (04-10-2020)
Old 04-03-2010, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Eskimo
What size do you need?
275/40/17 - What I originally had my mind set on was the BFG new tread design KDW's up front & drag radials in back, but drag radials apparently aren't out yet & the KDW's are back ordered everywhere I've checked.

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
you can't get stuck in that crazy MO rain with any of these tires.
That has been a problem yet, so I'm not too worried there. I'm pretty crazy about checking the weather before I go out for a drive.

If the NT05's didn't look so narrow compared to the BFG's, I'd have already ordered them....they are the cheapest out of the 3 I'm considering & people actually have them in stock.

Shay
Old 04-03-2010, 02:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 863 Likes on 659 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Kuhmo XS is supposed to be horrid in the rain. The 615's have an $80 rebate at discount tire direct.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
r888's on the other hand, even after half the tread wore away, i was able to mash the throttle (2.5str 3600 stall) from a dead stop and they're still golden to me. the rt-615s were pure crap in that respect - might as well been trying it in the rain.

as far as that goes, the r888s are an actual R-compound, with a wear rating of 100. 615s are regular 'street tire compound' with a 200 wear, so of course the pure traction would be higher with r888s. regardless, think about what youre doing....running an r-comp. on the street. the only time i do that is driving to a local autox.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 98-mongooSSe
275/40/17 - What I originally had my mind set on was the BFG new tread design KDW's up front & drag radials in back, but drag radials apparently aren't out yet & the KDW's are back ordered everywhere I've checked.

That has been a problem yet, so I'm not too worried there. I'm pretty crazy about checking the weather before I go out for a drive.

If the NT05's didn't look so narrow compared to the BFG's, I'd have already ordered them....they are the cheapest out of the 3 I'm considering & people actually have them in stock.

Shay
if you were considering drag radials and nt05's looked ok, have you looked into the nt05R??

according to nitto's website, they are slightly wider than the 555R (comparing 275/40/17).

Quick Reply: Can R888's be used as a street tire?