Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Need help on polishing OE C5 Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help on polishing OE C5 Wheels

Only 2 wheels on this 01 C5 are finished well and the other 2 are just disgusting. This isnt my car, it's my Mothers car and I'd like to solve this problem since this doesnt seem to bother her, but it bothers me. I tried to clean the 2 bad wheels before but to no avail . And now I'm open to suggestions. This is still under warranty iirc.
The first and last wheel pictures are the good wheels and the two in the middle are the bad wheels.

Old 03-29-2005, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

the corvette wheels like that are coated with a clear coat or something along those lines those wheels are stainded you might be able to put some sort of acid wheel cleaner on them since they are clear coated it will not hurt them just make sure the wheels are cold and do not let it sit on the for long period of time i clean mine like that all the time
Old 03-29-2005, 08:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look to me like they are polished aluminum, same on my 04. I use mothers wheel polish with great results
Old 03-29-2005, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I do clean the bad wheels it's not entirely cleaned there are these spots that wont come out, it looks ok from a distance when cleaned. The good wheels clean off easily with just a wet towel. I was considering just borrowing her C5 and taking it to her dealer to say what's wrong?

I think I'm going to need to try something strong, I have tried Blue Magic Metal Polish and MAAS Polishing Cream. I'll try Mothers Wheel Polish and post back.......
Old 03-29-2005, 08:29 PM
12 Second Club

it appears that problem wheels are left front and right rear? Do you live near the Florida coast? looks like aluminum oxide formation from salt spray. no good reason why only the two wheels though
Old 03-30-2005, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

She lives in Southwest Ranches 33330. My mother got her C5 used with about 32k miles on it. I take it the previous owner neglected cleaning his wheels or something because she cleans her car once a week. I might recall the wheels being like that when she first got it.

I havent tried Mothers Wheel Polish yet, I've been busy with my little cousins birthday. Ill try tomarrow and post back.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:22 PM
TECH Regular

My girlfriends car did the same thing and we took it to get the oil changed and asked them about the acid was for wheels and for ten bucks they made them look brand new. Took off all the spots that i couldnt get out with a good polishing. I would definately take a look into getting them acid washed, Pretty sure that would take car of the problem.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll swing by her dealership before I buy the Mothers polish and try that out. I hope this works
Old 03-30-2005, 06:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Andros
I'll swing by her dealership before I buy the Mothers polish and try that out. I hope this works
odds are the mothers wont take out most of it. i'm telling you, you just need to get a $10 acid bath for the wheels and they will be lookin new. Still would get the mothers for taking care of them on a regular basis but the acid is the only thing strong enough to take off what you are describing.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

If this acid bath works, I hope it turns out to be like the 2 good wheels and would only need a wet towel to clean them.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

I wish i had before and after pics of my girlfriends car. had all kinds of spots i couldnt get out with mothers or any other polish and got the acid wash done and they looked brand new. Now i told her she has to maintain them with some polish and dont let someone detail her car and spray whatever crap they did on them because it was part of the problem with staining them.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:42 PM
TECH Resident

Ok. Looks like some sort or acid or maybe slat has gone there the clear coat and spoted the wheels. I have a set of real GM OEM vette wheels. They come clear coated. WHen they did the "acid bath" they basicly striped everything off the wheel clear coat in all. Metal polish on top of clear coated wheel does nothing for you. You can polish the metal with clear coat on it. I took the clear coat of mine and was glad I did.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, they are clearcoated wheels and need a paint polish, NOT a metal polish.

Treat them like you would your paint...clean them as thoroughly as possible, claybar them, polish with a paint polish, and protect them with a sealant (ie. Zaino, Klasse, etc.).

Quick Reply: Need help on polishing OE C5 Wheels