Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

cleaning/polishing these damn CCW polished wheels...any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default cleaning/polishing these damn CCW polished wheels...any tips?

ok well i made the big mistake of driving around in the rain with my new CCWs and my god did i get brake dust build up....is there any type of compound or cleaner that WILL NOT DAMAGE my polished wheels? normal wheel cleaner and anything for chrome or painted/finished wheels will damage polished aluminum so i cant use any of that crap....i have a mothers powerball and drill and have used it and i just cant get that hazy white mark that is left behind when the black brake dust is removed from the wheels....ive buffed and buffed and buffed and thesre wheels still dont shine as they did when i first put them on...any way of cleaning these better?
Old 03-29-2007, 08:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mothers Polish wont fix it?
Old 03-29-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats all ive been using and tons of it....
Old 03-29-2007, 11:48 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Without really putting some SERIOUS serious work into them they'll never shine like they did out of the box after they've been through a solid rain. You need a more abrasive compound to polish with first then step down to a finer compound. I heard great things about the Adam's 2-step polishes and plan on getting some myself soon.

Run a search in the Wheels and Tires forum by title only, search word CCW, and by my exact name. I have a post of my full first polish after two months of having my 505As. They shined up nicely but they still aren't a clean as they were out of the box.

Welcome to the world of polished wheels. My suggestion is to keep a lot of microfiber towels in your car at all times. If you have to drive in the rain once you park the car for the day or as soon as the rain stops wipe the wheels off and dry them off. It'll cut down on the water spots. Might want to check into wheel and tire covers as well if you dont drive the car in the rain and it sits outside (this is what I do as I dont have a garage yet). Check into Rejex and Zaino Clear Seal too. I use Rejex right now and plan on using Clear Seal with Rejex on top of it. Easy on, semi-durable, and it doesn't dull the shine.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:11 AM
TECH Veteran

I used Mothers with applicator sponges and some serious elbow grease (even the hard water stains from water/rain) and I had no issues keeping them clean on my C5. I took mine off, I had it down where it took me an extra 30 min. to clean my wheels when I washed the car. If you clean then often (i did every wash) they are much easier to keep up. But I recently got the SP16A's for my F Body and I am gonna be hating life keeping them clean with all those spokes lol.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

If you can just live with the fact that they won't be 100% perfect, even after a normal polishing, your life will be alot easier. But as soon as you drive through the rain, you need to take 'em off and repolish insides and out....UGH!
Old 03-30-2007, 11:37 PM
12 Second Club

try noxing 7, i promise it will work.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

i use mothers billet polish and it works well. but like everyone has said, they never shine back up like they did out the box. I've never used it, but i hear that zoop seal does good to protect your polished wheels.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:37 AM
TECH Addict

The worst is when you have a little brake dust, then it rains and all that dust goes rolling right on the lips where it just sits and looks disgusting. But the wheels are beautiful clean or dirty so I can't complain
Old 04-01-2007, 01:48 AM
TECH Resident

Dont Buy polished wheels...PAIN THE ***! I know I had some.. God rif of those bastards.. But when they are clean you cant beat them
Old 04-01-2007, 01:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Silver UltraZ
Dont Buy polished wheels...PAIN THE ***! I know I had some.. God rif of those bastards.. But when they are clean you cant beat them
Its really not that bad to polish. It does take a lot of time, but it is fun at the same time
Old 04-01-2007, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya i guess im just gonna go at it hardcore style and then from that poin try my hardest not to drive in the rain..i just hate those days where its really nice out and then next thing you know its shitty and startin to rain...of heres a better description New England weather
Old 04-02-2007, 07:34 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Originally Posted by kornfreak_401
try noxing 7, i promise it will work.
I've been looking for this stuff everywhere and cant find it. Is the internet my only option?
Old 04-02-2007, 07:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I used some Mothers Billet polish the other day with a microfiber towel and the rims cleaned up real nice. Didn't take much effort at all. I'm gonna take the wheels off sometime during the week and try to hit them with the mini powerball. I was quoted a $175 per wheel to get them chromed so that is another option I may consider further down the line.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any of you guys ever consider having your polished wheels cleared? My friend did it to some wheels he had a while back and it made cleaning a breeze. Maybe I'm missing something.

-J
Old 04-02-2007, 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by josh99ta
I've been looking for this stuff everywhere and cant find it. Is the internet my only option?
I even tried searching that stuff and can't find it on the internet...keep getting asked if i mean "Boxing 7" haha.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lastcall190
Any of you guys ever consider having your polished wheels cleared? My friend did it to some wheels he had a while back and it made cleaning a breeze. Maybe I'm missing something.

-J
Is it cleared with the same clear that goes over car paint? I wonder if it would ever start to turn yellowish or something.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

Not entirely sure it was several years ago... The time that he had them tho, they always looked shiney and never yellowed similar to what you speak of. BTW nice classics, must be a BITCH to clean tho

-J
Old 04-02-2007, 05:55 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

...and people wonder why I tell them to never get polished wheels if they are gonna be driven in the wet.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
I used some Mothers Billet polish the other day with a microfiber towel and the rims cleaned up real nice. Didn't take much effort at all. I'm gonna take the wheels off sometime during the week and try to hit them with the mini powerball. I was quoted a $175 per wheel to get them chromed so that is another option I may consider further down the line.
That isn't bad, does that include the inner barrel? Any warranty? Can you PM me the place

I may go with chrome when I finally get tired of cleaning them, but polished looks so nice

Quick Reply: cleaning/polishing these damn CCW polished wheels...any tips?