Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

cleaning/polishing these damn CCW polished wheels...any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 09:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my tip would have been GET CHROME ones
Old 04-03-2007, 05:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002 Trans Am
That isn't bad, does that include the inner barrel? Any warranty? Can you PM me the place

I may go with chrome when I finally get tired of cleaning them, but polished looks so nice
I just called for a quick ball park figure over the phone. I'll go up there today and have them look at the wheels in person and see if the price changes. I'll ask them about warranty and if they do the inner barrel as well.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by josh99ta
Run a search in the Wheels and Tires forum by title only, search word CCW, and by my exact name. I have a post of my full first polish after two months of having my 505As. They shined up nicely but they still aren't a clean as they were out of the box.
Got a link by chance? As usual, the search is not working.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
...and people wonder why I tell them to never get polished wheels if they are gonna be driven in the wet.
oh i was well aware of polished wheels being a pain and i only drove it in the rain because my beater was in the shop. i did not have any idea of how badly brake dust would build up nor did i know that once the actual dust is removed there would still be a hazy white spot where the dust was....this is what i want to get rid of. so far after a few attempts its been getting better but c'mon if CCW and other manufacturers can polish wheels to look as good as they did when i 1st got them why cant i? what are they doing/using that i should be?
Old 04-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm gonna be doing some shopping on Eastwood's website for some polishing supplies...I'll be trying white rouge and probably some other stuff along with some buffs and mandrels for my drill.

I've had decent luck with a cotton buff ball, English custom polishes, and my corded drill, but it still takes a LOT of work.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Does anyone order car care stuff from Griots? I order all my stuff except for my zaino products from there. I just orded the wheel polish and was wondering if anyone has used theirs? If not I will let you know soon.

What was the statement about you can't use wheel cleaners on polished aluminum. Is this true? I have the wheel cleaner from Griots and planned on using it to clean the wheels and then shine them up with the polish. Any suggestions?
Old 04-03-2007, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

well meentSS02 def keep me posted on how well it all works as i have the same wheels as you do and same goes for 02SOMLS1WS6 let me know how well your method works. as for wheel cleaners you MUST make sure it can be used for uncoated polished aluminum wheels anything thing that does not say this then do not use it as i even bought i believe black majic wheel cleaner that said for all wheel surfaces and did no mention anything specifically about uncoated wheels and when i sprayed my first wheel it stained it a bluish color kinda the same as headers get after being used for 1k miles....luckly i was able to use my powerball and buff that out but it was a bitch and had i left that cleaner on any longer i could have permanantly damaged my wheels...
Old 04-05-2007, 08:51 AM
TECH Resident

wenol is the best and you can get it at summit . i tried everything i could buy from my local parts store and was never really happy , well i used the wenol and now my prostars look new again
Old 04-05-2007, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i had a truck with polished 20's and i had the same problem i used Wenol then mothers. it worked for me.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

wenol huh? im gonna have to make an order on summit then... thanks for the tip
Old 04-06-2007, 12:27 PM
TECH Resident

they have a red and a blue the red is alittle more abrasive and the blue makes them look like a mirror
Old 04-06-2007, 10:44 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

I FOUND SOME NOXON 7!!! Picked up two bottles at Advanced Auto Parts. They had it right there on the shelf. Everyone thats used this stuff has said its incredible so we'll see. From what I can tell this stuff is going to be pretty abrasive. It said just to wipe it on and off to clean stuff up, or work it lightly if there is alot of buildup. LIGHTLY!?! I have to put everything I've got behind some Mothers Powermetal polish to get it to barely clean the wheels.

Going to mess with it by hand and by Powerball Mini tomorrow. If this stuff is half as good as I'm hoping it is I'm going to try to polish up the lips and faces of my wheels and coat them with Rejex to protect them.

If Noxon 7 doesn't work I'm buying the Adams 2-step system as well as the Wenol red and blue and seeing how those work as well.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I FOUND SOME NOXON 7!!! Picked up two bottles at Advanced Auto Parts. They had it right there on the shelf. Everyone thats used this stuff has said its incredible so we'll see. From what I can tell this stuff is going to be pretty abrasive. It said just to wipe it on and off to clean stuff up, or work it lightly if there is alot of buildup. LIGHTLY!?! I have to put everything I've got behind some Mothers Powermetal polish to get it to barely clean the wheels.

Going to mess with it by hand and by Powerball Mini tomorrow. If this stuff is half as good as I'm hoping it is I'm going to try to polish up the lips and faces of my wheels and coat them with Rejex to protect them.

If Noxon 7 doesn't work I'm buying the Adams 2-step system as well as the Wenol red and blue and seeing how those work as well.
What is the Rejex protect system?
Old 04-07-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I use mothers billet polish, and rub the **** out of them. About 10mins on each wheel brings an ok shine out. Sucks because they will never look like they did the first time out of the box, like josh99ta said. I would try the billet polish, I promise you it will work. A mothers ball will help to.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Let us all know how it works out for you I hope you find something better then the mothers......
Old 04-07-2007, 02:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lastcall190
Any of you guys ever consider having your polished wheels cleared? My friend did it to some wheels he had a while back and it made cleaning a breeze. Maybe I'm missing something.

-J
My daily driver has aftermarket rims with polished lips that have been cleared, while it doesn't look bad it does give it kind of a "dull" look. I don't mind it but once it starts to peel I'm stripping off the clear and I'll just have to polish them.

Almost every set of set of polished rims I've seen with clear coat has started to peel after a while, sometimes it takes years but it will happen. Look at all those factory third gen wheels with peeling clear coat.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Did you get a chance to use it yet? I'm looking forward to your review, how it compares to the Mothers polish you used before.

Shawn
Old 04-08-2007, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

My Iforged have been on my car for approx. two years now and still look near new. I just use regular mothers aluminum polish with an old soft cotton T shirt. Most people dont know that fabric softener is also abrasive and should never be used on the towles you polish your car/wheels with. My car is a daily driver also, it never gets driven in the rain.

The best thing I can suggest to you guys is to buy some wheel covers for when you wash the car. I use a set of covers that are used for painting, they just slip over the wheels/tires and keep the overspray and/or water from being sprayed or splashing onto them while washing the car. You can buy them at most any reputable automotive refinishing store for around $25 for a full set. They save a hell of a lot of work and polish and keep your wheels looking great.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive had good results using mothers on some 2000 grit sandpaper. I just put a small glob on it and rub for a bit and it takes out just about anything, and has little to no haze in it. I also use my dremel on some of the worse spots with the a felt polishing wheel and red rouge to start then followed by white rouge. That combo will take anything Ive ever seen out. If I get a chance I will try and do a before and after pic on some wheels I have hanging around.

BTW this was done on my american racing wheels on my old truck ($600 a set compared to $2k+ CCW) so you may want to test it out on the inner face of the wheels or the barrel, just in case it doesnt work like you expected. But I am sure it could help out a bit.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:49 AM
TECH Junkie

It will work. I buy Noxon at Lowes. It is the absolute best polish. I've tried everything on my HRE's. Nothing else works but this stuff.

Quick Reply: cleaning/polishing these damn CCW polished wheels...any tips?