Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

cleaning/polishing these damn CCW polished wheels...any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremiah
My Iforged have been on my car for approx. two years now and still look near new. I just use regular mothers aluminum polish with an old soft cotton T shirt. Most people dont know that fabric softener is also abrasive and should never be used on the towles you polish your car/wheels with. My car is a daily driver also, it never gets driven in the rain.

The best thing I can suggest to you guys is to buy some wheel covers for when you wash the car. I use a set of covers that are used for painting, they just slip over the wheels/tires and keep the overspray and/or water from being sprayed or splashing onto them while washing the car. You can buy them at most any reputable automotive refinishing store for around $25 for a full set. They save a hell of a lot of work and polish and keep your wheels looking great.

I have yet to see wheel covers. i would love to get them but not sure where to find them online, can you help?

Oh, and I am so done with IForged. Second time the chrome lips are peeling up. Yours are holding up well? Was going to get the chrome lips stripped and polished, but now everyone here is scaring me with the upkeep. Maybe I will have a vendor over by me rechrome the lips with better quality, and a thicker plating.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:28 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...te/prodID=3808
Old 04-09-2007, 09:30 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

THE NOXON 7 REVIEW:

Application: I'm starting with a clean wheel that was washed to get all surface dirt and contamination off, dried off with a leaf blower and followed up with microfiber cloths, and I'm using a terry cloth applicator pad to really work the Noxon into surface of the wheel, then buffing off with a microfiber cloth.

The Pros: EXCELLENT strain removal. I'm talking ridiculously excellent. I did this application by hand on the lip and face of the wheel and barely had to use any extra pressure. I only had to bear down in a few of the really stained spots and even then it only took a few rubs and the contamination cleared up almost instantly. Using both products by hand I've scrubbed a few spots HARD with PowerMetal and still couldn't get them out. Those same spots came out with the Noxon 7 with minimal extra pressure. It was actually easier to get those spots out by hand with Noxon 7 than it was with the PowerMetal polish AND THE MINI POWERBALL!!! I was extremely impressed.

The Cons: I had to buff my *** off just to get this stuff completely off and even then it didn't leave a high polished finish. It was still fairly hazy. So the idea struck me... use the Noxon 7 for what it seems to be best at... getting the wheels free of contamination and spots... and then follow that up with PowerMetal by hand as PowerMetal really does put a good shine on the wheels once they're clean.

So here is what I came up with...

Products:
Two cloth applicator pads
Two microfiber cloths
One bottle of Noxon 7
One bottle of PowerMetal
My own two hands

Process:
Clean wheel thoroughly
Dry wheel completely
Thoroughly rub in Noxon 7 with applicator pad over entire wheel surface
Rub heavier contaminated spots with extra pressure until they were removed
Wipe the wheel down thoroughly with a microfiber towel (I didn't completely buff the wheel, just wiped off the wheel really well)
Thoroughly rub in PowerMetal with applicator pad, I put a little pressure in this step to try to bring out the shine as much as possible
Thoroughly buff off with microfiber cloth, I wiped the wheels down really well with one side, then I flipped the cloth over and really buffed them out
Then I stepped back and admired the results

Results:
I wish I would have gotten pictures. At the end of February I took my wheels off one at a time and spent a solid hour and a half on each wheel washing it in my bath tub, drying it off, and going over the entire wheel with both the Powerball, Mini Powerball, and PowerMetal polish. I had to really get at the wheels in some spots and even snapped the extension on the Mini Powerball putting so much pressure on the wheels to get the stains out in some spots. After all that work on these wheels that shine wasn't as good as the Noxon 7/PowerMetal by-hand combo. This is seriously the closest these wheels have looked to the polish they had when I took them out of the box. I'm genuinely impressed here.

Total time per wheel: Approx. 5-10 minutes depending on how bad your wheels are to begin with, I did all four wheels in well under 30 minutes and got results better by hand than what took me 6 hours with a Powerball, Mini Powerball, PowerMetal alone, and two 18v battery charges per wheel. I was seriously dumbfounded.

The next step... taking the wheels off one by one and trying it out on the inner barrels as well. Will use the Powerball with the Noxon on the barrels to really clean them up, follow up with the PowerMetal by hand, then do the lips and faces by hand and coat the entire wheels with Rejex (do a google search, its a metal sealant that applies much easier than Zoop Seal and lasts for about a month), follow that up with Zaino Clear Seal, and top that off with Michelin's spray on brake dust repellent for as much protection to the polished wheel as possible.

I've found my magic combo guys. My search is over.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
I have yet to see wheel covers. i would love to get them but not sure where to find them online, can you help?

Oh, and I am so done with IForged. Second time the chrome lips are peeling up. Yours are holding up well? Was going to get the chrome lips stripped and polished, but now everyone here is scaring me with the upkeep. Maybe I will have a vendor over by me rechrome the lips with better quality, and a thicker plating.
Mine are fully polished, I have owned several chrome wheels of different brands and have allways had issues with the chrome. I will never buy another set of chrome wheels. Since mine is a pleasure car only and spends most of its time under a car cover so I dont have a problem keeping them polished. Any reputable automotive paint/refinish supply store shoud have the wheel covers.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice write up Josh. I guess I will go ahead and find some of that Noxon 7 stuff asap.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:02 AM
Teching In

Try this: On my IForge polished alloys I clean with mothers billet, but it leaves a bit of a white residue. So, take out for a short ride, warm up the brakes/wheels and then buff up the wheels. Gets rid of white residue.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

Damn I need to find this **** Josh found. My AFS Z06 wheels surely could use it.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good info...i just tried this stuff i got at autozone called Blue Magic and it has amonia in it...reeks like hell but it did the best job so far compared to mothers aluminum polish....it also supposedly according to the container leaves a clear protective film to make future cleanings easier...we'll see about that. but anyways i think im gonna get the wenol blue and red OR the Noxin for my next and hopefully final cleaning. i no longer let my car see rain or water at all and will definately be buying wheel covers for when i wash the car...
Old 04-10-2007, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh ya i tried searching for Wenol on summit racing and i couldnt find it...anyone with a link?
Old 04-10-2007, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by josh99ta
THE NOXON 7 REVIEW:

Application: I'm starting with a clean wheel that was washed to get all surface dirt and contamination off, dried off with a leaf blower and followed up with microfiber cloths, and I'm using a terry cloth applicator pad to really work the Noxon into surface of the wheel, then buffing off with a microfiber cloth.

The Pros: EXCELLENT strain removal. I'm talking ridiculously excellent. I did this application by hand on the lip and face of the wheel and barely had to use any extra pressure. I only had to bear down in a few of the really stained spots and even then it only took a few rubs and the contamination cleared up almost instantly. Using both products by hand I've scrubbed a few spots HARD with PowerMetal and still couldn't get them out. Those same spots came out with the Noxon 7 with minimal extra pressure. It was actually easier to get those spots out by hand with Noxon 7 than it was with the PowerMetal polish AND THE MINI POWERBALL!!! I was extremely impressed.

The Cons: I had to buff my *** off just to get this stuff completely off and even then it didn't leave a high polished finish. It was still fairly hazy. So the idea struck me... use the Noxon 7 for what it seems to be best at... getting the wheels free of contamination and spots... and then follow that up with PowerMetal by hand as PowerMetal really does put a good shine on the wheels once they're clean.

So here is what I came up with...

Products:
Two cloth applicator pads
Two microfiber cloths
One bottle of Noxon 7
One bottle of PowerMetal
My own two hands

Process:
Clean wheel thoroughly
Dry wheel completely
Thoroughly rub in Noxon 7 with applicator pad over entire wheel surface
Rub heavier contaminated spots with extra pressure until they were removed
Wipe the wheel down thoroughly with a microfiber towel (I didn't completely buff the wheel, just wiped off the wheel really well)
Thoroughly rub in PowerMetal with applicator pad, I put a little pressure in this step to try to bring out the shine as much as possible
Thoroughly buff off with microfiber cloth, I wiped the wheels down really well with one side, then I flipped the cloth over and really buffed them out
Then I stepped back and admired the results

Results:
I wish I would have gotten pictures. At the end of February I took my wheels off one at a time and spent a solid hour and a half on each wheel washing it in my bath tub, drying it off, and going over the entire wheel with both the Powerball, Mini Powerball, and PowerMetal polish. I had to really get at the wheels in some spots and even snapped the extension on the Mini Powerball putting so much pressure on the wheels to get the stains out in some spots. After all that work on these wheels that shine wasn't as good as the Noxon 7/PowerMetal by-hand combo. This is seriously the closest these wheels have looked to the polish they had when I took them out of the box. I'm genuinely impressed here.

Total time per wheel: Approx. 5-10 minutes depending on how bad your wheels are to begin with, I did all four wheels in well under 30 minutes and got results better by hand than what took me 6 hours with a Powerball, Mini Powerball, PowerMetal alone, and two 18v battery charges per wheel. I was seriously dumbfounded.

The next step... taking the wheels off one by one and trying it out on the inner barrels as well. Will use the Powerball with the Noxon on the barrels to really clean them up, follow up with the PowerMetal by hand, then do the lips and faces by hand and coat the entire wheels with Rejex (do a google search, its a metal sealant that applies much easier than Zoop Seal and lasts for about a month), follow that up with Zaino Clear Seal, and top that off with Michelin's spray on brake dust repellent for as much protection to the polished wheel as possible.

I've found my magic combo guys. My search is over.
I think powermetal sucks big *****, I would recommend trying out Mother's Billet. I find it to be MUCH better and easier to apply! It should improve your combo and put a nice smile on your face as you stare into the crazy reflections from a nicely polished wheel
Old 04-10-2007, 08:39 PM

Will pick up some Mother's Billet then. Moral of the story is any final polish to really bring out the shine is fine. The Noxon gets the wheel totally clean and flawless, ready for that final shine. I just used PowerMetal as its what I had lying around because I got it with the Powerball. Really looking forward to trying this Mother's Billet out now.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Will pick up some Mother's Billet then. Moral of the story is any final polish to really bring out the shine is fine. The Noxon gets the wheel totally clean and flawless, ready for that final shine. I just used PowerMetal as its what I had lying around because I got it with the Powerball. Really looking forward to trying this Mother's Billet out now.
I hear ya, I plan on picking up some Noxon over the weeked at Lowes because I have some water spots that I am having a difficult time removing. The Powermetal is useless against it and the Mother's Billet is better for it but still doesn't get rid of it, but certainly does the job on shining em up.

One thing that has been the biggest waste is the powerball. That thing doesn't reach in anywhere. I need like a mini mini powerball. The only time I think it will come to use is when I polish the inner barrels again, other than that it doesn't do too good of a job getting deep and the large powerball is just a toy for the cat now.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I also said mothers billet polish on page 2. Works great for me and gave them a good shine. Did remove some of the haze for me.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:45 PM

Oh defintely GotV8. Mother's Billet seems to be the most popular choice. It's definitely got a rep. Going to pick some up and give it a go this weekend.

Powerball = Awesome... on the inner barrels. Thats the only place its useful on these wheels. With the Noxon/PolishOfYourChoice combo its just so much easier to do the face and lips by hand and you get better results than fighting with the Powerball or even the Mini Powerball.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh defintely GotV8. Mother's Billet seems to be the most popular choice. It's definitely got a rep. Going to pick some up and give it a go this weekend.

Powerball = Awesome... on the inner barrels. Thats the only place its useful on these wheels. With the Noxon/PolishOfYourChoice combo its just so much easier to do the face and lips by hand and you get better results than fighting with the Powerball or even the Mini Powerball.
Let me give you some idea on how I did it with the billet polish.
I got the micro towels, but I put the polish on by hand. Get some rub gloves if you want but whats the fun in that lol. Just put it on a lite coat till it turns black. Then I let it set for a min, put it on the front then back when your done with the back wheel go to the front and start removing it.
I removed it by rubbing it fairly hard then went back over it with the black on the towel rubbing it more. Then with a clean side I removed it again. I didnt use the power ball on all the wheels because it went dead after 1omins on the first damn wheel. lol.
Hope this gives you an idea not much of a write up but it works.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 2002 Trans Am
I hear ya, I plan on picking up some Noxon over the weeked at Lowes because I have some water spots that I am having a difficult time removing.
I hear you about these NJ waterspots. Must have some serious acid rain up here lol. Noxon removes them very easy, you don't have to use much pressure and get hand cramps like with everything else.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:49 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Time to give this Noxon stuff a try...
Old 04-11-2007, 12:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Time to give this Noxon stuff a try...
stuff is cheap too....about 5 bucs a bottle...not bad!
Old 04-11-2007, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
I hear you about these NJ waterspots. Must have some serious acid rain up here lol. Noxon removes them very easy, you don't have to use much pressure and get hand cramps like with everything else.
You will find the weather here plays havoc on you and your car. Also, it seems that whatever is floating around in the air, and in the rain is very corrosive or something. At least that is what I'm led to believe now by the wheel mfg because there is no such wheel finish issue on the West Coast.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My buddy's gf's car was hit with some water from a sprinkler and we spent about 5 hours compounding it out. There are some weird spots on my black car now too, you can't win. If it isn't salt, it's acid or (insert chemical here) rain.

-J

Quick Reply: cleaning/polishing these damn CCW polished wheels...any tips?