Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Help me select some good tires! :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 11:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking Help me select some good tires! :)

So, I am ready to spend some money on rubber.

Fronts will be 275/35zr18 ~ rim is 18x9.5 Chrome ZO6
rears will be 295/35zr18 ~ rim is 18x10.5 Chrome ZO6

The fronts are now 275/40-18's, and I want to bring the front of the car down a bit so I am gonna go with a 35 series tire over the 40 that was free and is on it now.

Like I said, I have some stock vette tires off the rear of a vette, on the front of my car that I got as take offs from work, the eagle f1 gs runflat whatevers...

The rears are BF goodrich Comp TA something or others I got off tire rack when they were discontinued for 119 a tire.

Now, the fronts are chewed up, and the rears dont hook for sh*t.

So, I am looking at buying a new set of 4 tires, and was wondering what everyone thought of their tires and such... I want some good tires that will hold good in corners, and half-@ssedly hook on the street when I launch her at the stoplight while racing some crappy import.

When I floor it, the tires break loose all the way until 4rth gear. Yes, I know if I took my foot out of the motors butt it would hook better, but you cant win at half throttle...

If I am already rolling, and I mash the throttle, she still spits the tires loose from the pavement.

This might sound cool... but when you are in a heated race its very frustrating because then the fart-tube equiped sh*tpile next to you thinks they won because they jumped out ahead of you; but they fail to see the nice cloud of smoke behind your car... poor tires... LOL

So, just curious what everyone is running, brand and things, what they think of them, how they hook, how they wear, and if they were worth the money. I can adjust my prefered sizes a little bit to fit a tire that would help me out here! Also, this is a daily driver, and she gets only very limited track time, so I would rather have a tire that is perfect for the street environment vs the track. I am thinking about just getting some cheater slicks for the stock rims when I do go to the track. So I just want an overall great performing street tire that wont wear out in 5000 miles.

Thanks everyone!
~Cody
Old 03-30-2007, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

Get some Goodyear Gs-D3. They are the best tire I have ever run on my car and I have tried about 5 different types of goodyears and 2 or 3 other brands.

Goodyear's that I have used:
GS-D3 2 times
eagle F1's
RSA
GSC
Gt+4
Gt's
Aquatread 2's

A set of kumho's, and a couple of others that I cant remember.

Last edited by J's99Zrated; 03-30-2007 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:08 PM
On The Tree

I 2nd the GS-D3 idea. As soon as the tires I have now go, I'm gettin those.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Funny, that is the exact tire I was leaning towards. Those bastards are expensive, but you get what you pay for!
I had kumho's and I hated them. They wounldn't hold at half throttle, and they were sloppin in the corrners...
then got the comp ta's for the rear, and they cant hold sh*t either.
Looks like so far those GS-D3's are winning so far!
I read on Tirerack that even vette owners love the tires, and there was an 800hp trans am owner that said the tires slip only minimully... looks like Im gonna have to buck up and spend some cash!
Anyone know how many miles these tires would be expected to last on a daily driver with occasional hard accelerations??
Old 03-30-2007, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

kdw's or gsd3's
Old 03-31-2007, 06:30 AM
TECH Addict

Don't know if they come in those sizes or not, but believe it or not, the General Exclaim UHP is a great super cheap tire. Check out their reviews on Tirerack, #1 for quite some time. We have them on the wife's car and they rock! Those Goodyears are as good as it gets though.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:03 PM
12 Second Club

where did you find 18x10.5 ZO6s??? i've been looking all over. i'm thinking of getting some for my car, and was looking at BFGoodrich GForces. heard nothing but good things about those tires. hook well, AND last for a long time.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by whitedevilWS6
where did you find 18x10.5 ZO6s??? i've been looking all over. i'm thinking of getting some for my car, and was looking at BFGoodrich GForces. heard nothing but good things about those tires. hook well, AND last for a long time.
TomZWheels.com... or something to that effect. mine are the 18x9.5 and 18x10.5, chrome ZO6 wheels.
I have had them for two years in April, and now I am having a peeling issue with the chrome, but so far Pete at Toms wheels has been great. I will let you know how the company, factory reproductions, treats me with this warrenty claim too...
I love the way they look on my car, I dont care if it is a chevy wheel on a pontiac! I got the plain center caps and had my buddy make me a firebird sticker to put on it, it looks bad ***.