Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Drag Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 08:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Drag Wheels

Quick question Are ther any light drag wheels that will fit on a 98 TA without havng to grind the calipers? if so what brand size and bs? thanks
Old 06-02-2008, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bogarts... look for SJM in the sponsor list. Bogarts are still the only one that is true bolt on no spacers or grinding required. There are other rims that fit with a little grinding.. others that look like they will fit and claim to fit but fail Nobody can get it right except Bogarts but they aren't cheap but damn well worth it if you want a true no grind bolt on light weight drag wheel.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:26 PM
TECH Addict

bogarts and the new greg welds coming out the fronts fit fine and they are working on the rears as we speak to make them fit without grinding too
Old 06-02-2008, 11:26 PM
12 Second Club

pretty sure convoline's also fit....

Chad
Old 06-02-2008, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Convos require a little grinding if they are 9" wide but the 7.5" wide ones don't need any but they are only 7.5" wide so your tire options are more limited.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech/669401-new-centerline-convo-pro-15x9-wheels-pics.html
Old 06-03-2008, 07:37 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys What size for the bogarts?
Old 06-03-2008, 07:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive got Greg Welds up front no grinding, waiting on the rear.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:02 AM
11 Second Club

waiting for the greg welds, i just cant justify spending the $$$ on bogarts
Old 06-03-2008, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

info on greg welds- https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-tires/924554-attention-anyone-wanting-rear-greg-welds.html
Old 06-03-2008, 10:02 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by CNTLSE 1
Thanks guys What size for the bogarts?
15x10.
Thats what I ordered.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:55 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rpmauto
waiting for the greg welds, i just cant justify spending the $$$ on bogarts
Our Bogart wheels are high-end drag wheels. They are the lightest direct fit wheel on the market to date. My comments are not to persuade your purchases, it is for others to see what benefits and reasoning why a light-weight drag wheel is not something to gloss over. Only 2, 3, 4lbs heavier you may say, well for every pound, add four pounds to your car. So that 4 lb difference in a wheel will act like you left 16 additional pounds on your car. Some “drag” wheels are 7+ lbs PER wheel heavier. That’s like leaving essentially 100lbs on your car if it was on all four corners!

The difference in weight (typically ~50+ over other drag designs) is greater than considering purchasing a K-member to save 30-35lbs from your car. The person purchasing the k-member and economy wheel combination ends up spending the same (or more) in the end with fewer benefits (and many times more headaches).

Benefits from an appearance, weight and fitment are large with our Bogart products. Just from the appearance standpoint, there is nothing more attractive than a set of highly polished 6061 aluminum wheels on a car. Wheels are one of the most noticeable modifications you can make on your car. It is what EVERYONE sees first generally defining its appearance.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:34 PM
11 Second Club

i understand what sjm is saying, but i am lucky if i go to the track 4 or 5 times a year, she is not a race only car, if it was no question i would have the bogarts, but for what i do (test & tunes and such) it just isnt worth it
Old 06-03-2008, 03:25 PM
FormerVendor

RPM, I totally understand what you're saying; our wheels are not for everyone.

So others understand, they are not for just hard-core guys only. They are for the folks who want the most out of their wheels and ease of installation while a great side benefit from an appearance standpoint.

Many people who only go to the track as few times as you do, still purchase drag pieces like a k-member etc. The example I'm giving is to show how our wheels end up costing less in the end and provide esthetic as well as performance benefits more so then choosing an economy wheel and those inexpensive aftermarket components.

So where the person is thinking they are "saving money for other mods", they end up spending just as much if not more in the end and do not reap the benefits therefor lower their "bang for the buck" as they say.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:44 PM
11 Second Club

Bogarts it appears seem to break the easiest as well and are not good for the street at all.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
Bogarts it appears seem to break the easiest as well and are not good for the street at all.
They only break when people don't use them properly.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
Bogarts... look for SJM in the sponsor list. Bogarts are still the only one that is true bolt on no spacers or grinding required. There are other rims that fit with a little grinding.. others that look like they will fit and claim to fit but fail Nobody can get it right except Bogarts but they aren't cheap but damn well worth it if you want a true no grind bolt on light weight drag wheel.
Negative. Greg Weld Fronts do not require ANY grinding, or spacers, and their rears will be the same way soon enough. Also 15x8.5 5.5 Backspace Convo Pros that I used to have also fit with no grinding and no spacer. Bogarts are the lightest, highest quality bolt on wheel though. Expensive, but worth it.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by landonew
They only break when people don't use them properly.
Mehh. My friend has a cracked front right now. He only drove it to the track with em on once or twice. He usually changes em when he gets there.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:56 PM
FormerVendor

No wheel is impervious to failure. To nip in the butt the myth that the wheels are weak and break all the time, for the most part, most of the VERY few wheels that have ever broke on an F-body were used with improper front radial tires.

We have F-bodies that have been using our wheels for over 10 years without problems. If a wheel is not used in a recommended fashion or not used in appropriate combinations, its life can be diminished greatly.

If you are using a drag wheel, no manufactures drag wheels to my knowledge are to be used as a street wheel. Inherently, a 15” wheel handles terrible and a drag wheel is not designed for street use. If you have a 15" wheel that is considered a "street" wheel, they will be very heavy with little benefits regarding drag racing usage. You just have a 15" wheel setup that handles terrible and "looks" like a drag wheel without most of the benefits.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
Mehh. My friend has a cracked front right now. He only drove it to the track with em on once or twice. He usually changes em when he gets there.
any and all street use is a violation of their warranty. not to be a jerk, but use them on the street at your own risk. I will likely cruise around on the street with mine, and if they break i won't be bitchin about quality. Its called "assumption of Risk". SJM makes a quality drag wheel, PERIOD!
Old 06-03-2008, 07:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by landonew
any and all street use is a violation of their warranty. not to be a jerk, but use them on the street at your own risk. I will likely cruise around on the street with mine, and if they break i won't be bitchin about quality. Its called "assumption of Risk". SJM makes a quality drag wheel, PERIOD!
I'm not talking "assumption of risk" I realize that, or bitchin or knocking Bogarts. I'm just saying they break easier than Welds, PERIOD!