Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pan install help (alignment)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 03:50 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pan install help (alignment)

On the oil pan it says the alignment is important. I read that up to a .010 gap is allowable but I don't know where your supposed to measure that gap. I think they sell a alignment kit but couldn't you just use a feller gauge? And if my oil pan wasn't leaking before with the stock rubber gasket, should I still replace it? Anything else important while doing the install beside the torque sequence? Thanks for any help.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:00 PM
10 Second Club

Yes alignment is important. This is how I did when I put my motor together and it was bone dry. install the front and rear covers, install balancer to help center front cover. Put bolts in both front and rear covers tighten down snug. Align the bottom of the covers w/ the oilpan rail once aligned install new gasket and put a 3/8 dallop of grey silicone on each of the four corners where the covers meet the block install the pan and torque bolts down to 18ft/lbs. I used my fingers to tell if the covers where aligned to the pan rail. If you dont want to do it like that use a feeler gauge place the gauge on the bottom flat surface (where the pan will sit on the cover) and it should make a even flat surface over the parting line, just make sure its even on both sides and it doesnt exceed the recommended spec.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sickss228
Yes alignment is important. This is how I did when I put my motor together and it was bone dry. install the front and rear covers, install balancer to help center front cover. Put bolts in both front and rear covers tighten down snug. Align the bottom of the covers w/ the oilpan rail once aligned install new gasket and put a 3/8 dallop of grey silicone on each of the four corners where the covers meet the block install the pan and torque bolts down to 18ft/lbs. I used my fingers to tell if the covers where aligned to the pan rail. If you dont want to do it like that use a feeler gauge place the gauge on the bottom flat surface (where the pan will sit on the cover) and it should make a even flat surface over the parting line, just make sure its even on both sides and it doesnt exceed the recommended spec.

I also got some high temp sealer and put that on the bottoms of my front and rear covers. Always use new gaskets and clean the pan and covers, i used a power washer and then hand dried everthing.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason alignment is important is because the bellhousing mounts to the pan as though it were one piece with the block...so it makes sense to have the back of the block and the oil pan in exactly the same plane. I spend time with a straightedge and a couple of snugged bolts and a little tapping back and forth to get it right...tighten some more bolts and recheck it. The alignment issue has nothing to do with oil leaking.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:44 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06
The reason alignment is important is because the bellhousing mounts to the pan as though it were one piece with the block...so it makes sense to have the back of the block and the oil pan in exactly the same plane. I spend time with a straightedge and a couple of snugged bolts and a little tapping back and forth to get it right...tighten some more bolts and recheck it. The alignment issue has nothing to do with oil leaking.
If the alignment doesn't have anything to do with oil leaking, what's it for??
Old 08-18-2006, 07:05 PM
Launching!

i'm getting ready to install my GTO pan on my motor and was wondering the same thing... from what i've gathered in this thread the important place to align is at the back of the block so there's a nice flush surface from the pan to the block. is this correct?

also, does anyone have a diagram for the torque sequence?
Old 08-18-2006, 08:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

The front/rear covers are not doweled into place so they can move up/down and
left/right. GM uses special tools to align the covers. You can align them by using
the crank/rear main seals as guides to center the covers. If they are not centered the seals will leak.

The bottom of the covers should be flush with the bottom of the block, creating
a smooth plane for the oil pan to sit. Yes the pan also has to be aligned for the trans to sit flush. So it is about oil leaks AND trans alignment.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:53 PM
Launching!

so if i'm just taking the original pan off and replacing it with the GTO pan i just need to make sure the rear part is nice and flush and follow proper torque sequence?
Old 08-20-2006, 06:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by icantdrift
so if i'm just taking the original pan off and replacing it with the GTO pan i just need to make sure the rear part is nice and flush and follow proper torque sequence?
Yes, and put a small dab of silicone sealer on the seems where the covers meet the block.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a simple way to do this. Place the oil pan on and hand tighten the bolts that go through to the block. Now take your bell housing and bolt it to the back of the block, then put in the bell housing bolts that go into the pan. Snug all bell housing bolts up good. At this point your oil pan is in the proper location and as straight as it can get. You can now TQ your oil pan to block bolts down. Once those are TQ'd, you can remove the bell housing. Now place your front and rear covers on and loosly place all the bolts in. TQ the bolts that go through the pan first, then TQ the rest. Your now sealed and aligned and no speacial tools were required.

Quick Reply: Oil pan install help (alignment)