Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Mikronite Technologies

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mikronite Technologies

has anyone ever sent their stuff off to these guys to have this done? I am thinking about doing this when i get to start buying some go fast goodies. it seems from the things i've read that it frees up alot of friction loss and actually makes the component stronger, as well as aids in lubrication. on their site they have dyno numbers of just doing the rearend gears with 4-9 rwhp gains. so what if you did all your valve train components, crank, rods, etc.? any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:16 AM
Teching In

I'd be leery of doing it to any internal engine components - I know they say it doesn't change the size, but have you ever seen a before/after shot of a ring and pinion that's been done? It's polished up and smoother...

I've heard good stuff about ring and pinion work, though. Perhaps transmission gears, as well...

Anywhere you have 2 metal surfaces that run together, like gearsets. For roller cams and the like, I wouldn't think it would be worth the expense...
Old 02-16-2009, 10:40 PM
Teching In

You'll hear banter about some people not having good luck with Mikronite, and they'll also bash their competitors. If you follow thier guidelines on useage, you'll reap the benefits. Do you think there are any teams in NASCAR NOT running it right now? If you're looking for that 9th/10th degree in which to get more power to the wheels, I can tell you it works.

I've used their gears in a few builds, as have used other coatings (DLC- Diamond-like coating) on pins, and valvetrain items. I've plasma'd cranks, as well as used oil-shedding compounds on them. Coatings are great for pistons, chambers, valves (on some valve materials), ports, etc. Standby for a decent bill when you add it all up, but the safety / confidence factor should go up as well.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had the following parts Mikronite processed for my head/cam install Christmas 2007:

Dart 2.055/1.60 intake/exhaust valves
LS6 oil pump plate and gears
Crane titanium valve spring retainers
Crane forged steel valve locks
Rollmaster CS1130 timing set cam and crank sprockets

I wanted to have my valve springs processed, but they were still working out the 'recipe' so it wasn't available.

I can state factually there was NO dimensional change in any of the parts. Everything came back with a beautiful finish I've never seen anywhere from any other process.

I also had the valve springs moly dry film coated and then Cryo treated along with the following parts:

Complete Dart LS1 225cc heads (valves, retainers, valve locks, springs - After valves, retainers, and locks were Mikronite processed)
Crane Cam
Complete Rollmaster timing set (after it was Mikronite processed)
ARP head stud kit, ARP cam bolts, ARP cam retainer bolts, ARP balancer bolt, ARP oil pump bolts
Complete oil pump (After gears and plate were Mikronite processed)
LS7 stock replacement lifters
Cam retainer plate
Crane 1.8 roller rockers, push rods, and guide plates

I'm curious to hear any negative feedback concerning Mikronite processing.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What was the purpose of doing the valvetrain?
Old 02-18-2009, 12:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by blackz93
I want to ensure maximum strength and component life. Do a little research concerning the process and you'll understand what the advantages are. Mikronite has a great website and Google will show some nice scientific comparisons of processed vs. unprocessed components.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm definitely considering doing either this or Supra-fin to my next ring and pinion in my 12-bolt, but I've not been able to find if you need to use a different backlash setting or not when setting up processed vs. unprocessed gears.

FWIW, I bought a transmission from Six Speeds Inc that was supposed to have Mikronited internals - now, I've never been able to verify that it was actually done, and they have since gone under, but the concept is very solid in my mind.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
but I've not been able to find if you need to use a different backlash setting or not when setting up processed vs. unprocessed gears.
Mikronite does not remove any material from the component. For rear end gears, normal settings are used. A side note, they will only process new parts.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blackz93

Mikronite Technologies bought Crane Cams late in 2006. Crane does promote Mikronited cams, which is no surprise, but there might not be too much improvement on a roller cam from the process. I have not seen a lot of other cam companies nor engine builders suggesting Mikroniting roller cams.

As Stroker McGurk (probably) said, "Can't hurt...might help."

What he really said back in the 50s was. "If it don't go, chrome it."
Today he might say, "If it don't go, Mikronite it."
Old 02-23-2009, 09:30 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be leery of doing this to a roller cam for one reason... If you have too smooth a surface, there is no friction for the roller tip to... well... roll on. I have sent a few cams back to various manufacturers where there were issues with the surfaces of the lobes de-laminating and or gaulling. In some of the cases, this reason was sited as a possible cause. I'm not 100% sure this is the case but the issue has come up in the past.

Shane

Last edited by XtraCajunSS; 02-24-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

When I had all my parts processed, Crane did not recommend processing a roller cam. You won't see any other manufacturers competing parts with Mikronite processing, simply because they don't allow it. The machines are very complex and expensive with all tightly controlled by Mikronite.

I have no way to confirm the tale, but I've heard that top fuel and NASCAR teams are sending gears and other parts by the pallet load for processing.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
Mikronite does not remove any material from the component. For rear end gears, normal settings are used. A side note, they will only process new parts.
FYI - When I had my gears processed they recommended a tighter backlash. Roger at Vinci Performance even talked my friend who helped install them to make sure.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
FYI - When I had my gears processed they recommended a tighter backlash. Roger at Vinci Performance even talked my friend who helped install them to make sure.
News to me.....
Old 02-24-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

Guess it doesn't matter now, Crane went out of business.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:33 AM
On The Tree

it just seems like a no brainer to me after you do some reading. i think i'm gonna do some stuff as i get it bought. 450hpZ06 where did you get your stuff cryo'd? locally?
Old 02-25-2009, 06:09 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had trans parts Micronited and rear gears and cryo'd nothing bad to say and it work smoothly so I like it.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:14 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by boostnificent
it just seems like a no brainer to me after you do some reading. i think i'm gonna do some stuff as i get it bought. 450hpZ06 where did you get your stuff cryo'd? locally?
For cryo, I've used 300 Below for the past 10 years.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:23 AM
10 Second Club + 14 Second Truck Club

i wouldn't get your hopes up too high on Mikroniting, they closed shop this week

however i had my ring and pinion done and am very happy with them.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:23 PM
12 Second Club

For those of you who aren't familiar with mikronite processes it isn't a coating and isn't limited to one company.

Mikroniting is simply a process where metal is blasted with walnut shell pieces. After this is done the variations and imperfections in the metal are beat together making a micro finish so instead of having a rough surface, it is all beat into a compressed very close tolerance finish.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:43 AM
On The Tree

ive seen a good comparison test with mikronite vs. other plating and techniques like sandblasting parts for strength and mikronite was the best. it makes the items was stronger by making the grain pattern completly distorted and thus making it stronger and harder to crack, because most cracks occur on the grain line. the only downfall was expense

Quick Reply: Mikronite Technologies