Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Hydrogen powered car guide..pros n cons

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Hydrogen powered car guide..pros n cons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-3aZV5Fjb4

Looks nice, but whats the real effect of burning hydrogen thru a gazoline engine instead of gaz?

I will test it for real...
http://www.hybridwaterpower.com/?hop=830903

Some kits on Ebay. Looks neat with the map sensor; http://cgi.ebay.com/Juicers-Hydrogen...#ht_5849wt_901 BUT I'm saying to myself this should be tuned on a dyno to monitor A/F ratio to be sure its safe for the engine. Plus I'm wondering if we should adjust timing and replace spark plugs too..

dyno sheet 5th image:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-Hydrogen-Gener...t_12053wt_1135

Another thing is I dont think it would work with a Carburator, unless running a stand alone with a 'switch' mode between the Hydrogen and gaz.

Last edited by Johnnystock; 05-10-2011 at 02:13 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:35 AM
TECH Addict

Anyway, sounds too good to be true, must be a scam..
Old 05-10-2011, 08:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't watch the video but I'm assuming they are using electrolysis to convert H2O to HHO and burn it? The energy you need to do this conversion is greater than the amount of energy you get from burning HHO. Pointless waste of money.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

^Might be true, but is the hydrogen creating a better explosing than just gasoline?^ If its the case, it might be ok to produce the right amount with the right voltage to have the best mixture for a more efficient explosion. I'm pretty sure Hydrogen and gasoline doesnt burn the same way. So it might end up in more hp/tq..

I wish some hardcore LS1tech guys tested this already!!
Old 05-11-2011, 10:32 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
^Might be true, but is the hydrogen creating a better explosing than just gasoline?^ If its the case, it might be ok to produce the right amount with the right voltage to have the best mixture for a more efficient explosion. I'm pretty sure Hydrogen and gasoline doesnt burn the same way. So it might end up in more hp/tq..

I wish some hardcore LS1tech guys tested this already!!
Uses more power than you gain.. no matter what, end or story lol. Doesn't matter how you mix it, the simple fact is that converting it to usable energy requires more initial investment than you receive in gains.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ethan[ws6]
Uses more power than you gain.. no matter what, end or story lol. Doesn't matter how you mix it, the simple fact is that converting it to usable energy requires more initial investment than you receive in gains.
From first hand experience, it does work. 14 to 16 mpg on 84 2.8l v6 blazer 200k miles.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by VanHalen
From first hand experience, it does work. 14 to 16 mpg on 84 2.8l v6 blazer 200k miles.
I don't believe you for one second.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I go from 14 to 16MPG at random. Try again.

If you burn hydrogen slow enough you get negative cylinder
pressure. It likes high speed and high compression.

Modifying the combustion dynamics of the gasoline burn is a
whole different matter. Even stuff like swirl and spark intensity
have effect. But you're not running on swirl. And your HHO
setups are not "running on hydrogen".
Old 05-25-2011, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

here are some good links to read. this does work but it needs alot of tweeking to get max mpg out of it. a dyno would be the best test for sure.
1.new energy ideas website. http://peswiki.com/index.php/News.
2.breakdown. http://pesn.com/2011/05/25/9501834_W...ency_Evidence/.
3.proof. http://www.eagle-research.com/erpdf/...oofs110316.pdf.
4.fred wells research. http://pesn.com/2011/05/08/9501829_F...Concept_Truck/.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

ethan we need to keep an open mind on all alternative forms of energy if you close your mind then you accept their rules and play their game. it sounds to me that your a little to quick to take the BLUE PILL. but i did notice you have exellent taste in cars though.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by dredoggy
ethan we need to keep an open mind on all alternative forms of energy if you close your mind then you accept their rules and play their game. it sounds to me that your a little to quick to take the BLUE PILL. but i did notice you have exellent taste in cars though.
Yeah keep an open mind to things that work. Just because something sounds good on paper doesn't mean it's bullet proof.. Perpetual motion machines sound amazing but there is this little thing called physics.. it has these laws, that can't be broken by you or me. Those are "bullet proof" concepts..

Also, the laws of thermodynamics stop this from holding true.. Your link that claims it doesn't is complete bullshit. Actually, half the **** on those links is either irrelevant or retarded.. Claiming that "combustion is a chemical process not a thermo on so the laws of thermodynamics don't apply" is completely wrong and not even something that should be disputed with this concept. Maybe you should learn something about physics before trying to defend a concept like this. A grasp on some knowledge of Stoichiometry might do you some good too. It really shouldn't be this hard for normal people to understand.. you CAN NOT get more energy out of an equation than you initially invest.. end of story.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

man what was i thinking slimmy,swammy,swanny oh here it is... samsonite..man i was way off..glad you set me straight on that. i have no idea what 14.7:1 is but you might. and i highly doubt you read all that info and watched all the videos that claim that it works. i guess they are all liers and i must be very gullible to think that it would work.oh and i know alot about physics i can bench 405lbs. and i know that that is extremely physical. ever heard of cold fusion 300watts in 2.6kilowatts out. http://www.naturalnews.com/032455_co...ion_E-Cat.html. but i guess they are liars to. man im such a sucker.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:39 AM
ZV8
12 Second Club

Some of you guys trying to dispute the claims forget about the entire equation. For one, as most of you know, the efficiency of the combustion is far from 100%. Consider how much electricity is wasted from the alternater spinning while in idle and not charging the battery or even on hard acceleration or long highway usages? Well that extra power could be used to make more hydrogen for combustion. So what I'm trying to say is instead of thinking of it making extra power out of nothing, think of it as capturing wasted energy back.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Pros: It's really explosive.

Cons: It's really explosive.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ZV8
Some of you guys trying to dispute the claims forget about the entire equation. For one, as most of you know, the efficiency of the combustion is far from 100%. Consider how much electricity is wasted from the alternater spinning while in idle and not charging the battery or even on hard acceleration or long highway usages? Well that extra power could be used to make more hydrogen for combustion. So what I'm trying to say is instead of thinking of it making extra power out of nothing, think of it as capturing wasted energy back.

You are not "capturing wasted energy". You're taking prime shaft power
(after inefficiency) and using it to run a very energy inefficient process
(electrolysis) in the hope of getting better than breakeven. But you can't.
And you won't.

Your alternator doesn't waste much shaft power, and when you draw
current your shaft load is what supplies it. Ain't nothing free. And conversely
your parasitic drag can't turn into power just because you hook a cell to it.

Call it the Barnumtron.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:03 PM
11 Second Club

man what was i thinking slimmy,swammy,swanny oh here it is... samsonite..man i was way off..glad you set me straight on that. i have no idea what 14.7:1 is but you might.
Lol.. you do realize there is more to Stoichiometry than gasolines ideal ratio to air for perfect combustion right? Oh wait, no you don't.. that's why you didn't get my reference.

ever heard of cold fusion 300watts in 2.6kilowatts out. http://www.naturalnews.com/032455_co...ion_E-Cat.html. but i guess they are liars to. man im such a sucker.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_fusion
&
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_fusion#Explanations

if you read any of this, you will realize why you are retarded for mentioning cold fusion.. Just because you read one website that claims something is possible, or true in any aspect, that doesn't magically make the ones that say it isn't possible disappear..
Old 05-29-2011, 09:47 PM
ZV8
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
You are not "capturing wasted energy". You're taking prime shaft power
(after inefficiency) and using it to run a very energy inefficient process
(electrolysis) in the hope of getting better than breakeven. But you can't.
And you won't.

Your alternator doesn't waste much shaft power, and when you draw
current your shaft load is what supplies it. Ain't nothing free. And conversely
your parasitic drag can't turn into power just because you hook a cell to it.

Call it the Barnumtron.

What if you had those recharging brakes like the prius or whatever and instead of having a huge expensive and heavy batter and electric motor, it just made hydrogen to use as a fuel?

Edit: also not to mention making oxygen "H2O" Wonder if this would help an N/A motor more so in high altitude areas?
Old 05-31-2011, 10:23 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZV8
What if you had those recharging brakes like the prius or whatever and instead of having a huge expensive and heavy batter and electric motor, it just made hydrogen to use as a fuel?

Edit: also not to mention making oxygen "H2O" Wonder if this would help an N/A motor more so in high altitude areas?
I can see where you would think that this would work, and it would help but the energy you gain from burning Hydrogen is no where near enough to compensate for the loss of energy it takes to convert during electrolysis.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:51 PM
Teching In

i think this is the way to go.nasa uses it but frozen, i once thought e-85 was the route until i read more into it and now that i see ethanol at the station ,its as much as pumped gas.im going to make a kit and also make it efficient so it does not waste alot of battery life and needs alot of electricity.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:41 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by evolutioneng
i think this is the way to go.nasa uses it but frozen, i once thought e-85 was the route until i read more into it and now that i see ethanol at the station ,its as much as pumped gas.im going to make a kit and also make it efficient so it does not waste alot of battery life and needs alot of electricity.
You can't just make a kit that uses less energy than is needed for the equation lol. Even at 100% efficiency (which you will never reach), you will never make it worth it.

Quick Reply: Hydrogen powered car guide..pros n cons