Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

SolidWorks Project Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SolidWorks Project Suggestions

I have to complete a final project for my solid modeling class. We have to design a system. That doesn't necessarily mean it has to be a system consisting of moving, mechanical parts. It could be something for which we could model the flow of air, fuel, etc. I've come here to see if anyone has any suggestions of any ideas of parts or systems, relating to LS cars, or any vehicle for that matter, that they would like to see rendered.
Thanks guys
Old 11-13-2013, 04:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think AFM or VVT would be very challenging to model and simulate.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

The front clip of an Fbody and more specifically the effect of the air dam on the cooling system. A lot of FI guys remove that and wonder why they are overheating
Old 12-06-2013, 06:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

You could try modeling the different mounting configurations of air to air intercoolers on a trans am vs. a camaro to determine which are the most efficient. I wish we got to pick our own projects, I'm about to spend my Saturday doing position, velocity and acceleration analysis on a freaking elliptical machine.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
The front clip of an Fbody and more specifically the effect of the air dam on the cooling system. A lot of FI guys remove that and wonder why they are overheating
unless SolidWorks can do CFD.. i doubt that
Old 01-13-2014, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a good chance his school has a license for a CFD package, especially if part of his assignment is to model fluid flow.

If you're an undergrad, keep it 1D SS flow..or maybe 2D. 3D would be much too hard and time consuming. An intercooler or HC injection on a diesel aftertreatment system would be good.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'd personally do a suspension system and avoid anything fluids or heat trans.

anything native to solids works isn't very accurate and hard to use. I know at LSU we didn't have the full package for CFD and heat trans but we did have the full FEA package.

if you need any help let me know. I basically do 3D modeling(solidworks) for a living and am a MechE.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:34 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

My vote is for factoring actual exhaust gas velocity and ACFM readings in different sized piping (hotside piping) of a a turbocharged LS engine.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I did a Portable Co-Generation system for my senior project when I was in school. Idea was to use a lawn mower/car alternator to heat water and produce electricity to power a house hold fan.

Used SW to model up a small radiator with fins then modeled a box around it to have exhaust gas from pass through it to heat water running through the radiator.

I did the CFD on it to have a visual of the exhaust gas flow. Did all the heat transfer calculations separate though. It served more as a visual representation more than getting actual values.

Quick Reply: SolidWorks Project Suggestions