Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

How do NASCAR engines make 750+HP?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 02:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like NASCAR. Its cool to see all this information. NASCAR might not be the most entertaining form of racing to some, but I dig it mostly because I have a driver from my town (J.J.) and the drama is awesome. The 'cheating', the 'payback', the 'rubbing'. But hey, I'm a southern californian redneck, what can I say.

To me open wheel racing is a lot like motorcycle racing, pretty cool to watch sometimes but not enough to make me want to tune in to every race.

Back to NASCAR though, do you think these supposed rule changes are going to suck?
Old 10-25-2005, 02:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 69firebird
also are you sure on the compression? They are spinning these motors pretty high, nothing like IRL cars though
What are you talking about, IRL motors are limited to 10,500rpm
Old 10-25-2005, 06:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well i would chime in and talk about F1 cars and their 19.5Krpm engines, but the session is over and it was only a little more intresting than last year! but next year their 2.4 ltr V8s will be spining to over 20K!!!!!

but as said before, thats because millions are spent developing these engines!

Chris.

PS. do you guys get MotGp over there? i think that this top level motor sport at its very best! supper claose action and some of the maddest moves you have ever seen! all they need to do now is make Rossi start half way up the grid to give everyone else a chance!!
Old 10-25-2005, 07:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by pist0lpete
So does that mean if i wanted to i could buy a motor from DEI?
actually you can if you want. when we were running dirt late models we bought an engine from richard petty enterprises and it was an animal. it couldnt be touched on the track. the bad thing about it is it was like 30k and when it needed to be ''freeshened'' up it was like 10k.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:19 AM
Teching In

Hey BUYAMERICAN:

Can you please clarify:

"For all of you that think you are running a lot boost, mind you we were restricted to 58 lbs.. This was over twelve years ago."

I would assume this is a CART spec 2.65 liter V8 that you are referring to? Is this pressure in actual pounds per square inch at the intake manifold?

Thanks
Old 10-25-2005, 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Compression ratios used to be unregulated in Cup up until the early/mid 90's. As I heard it they were running 16:1, and possibly as high as 18:1 (I believe on plate motors). The rule first came in at 14:1, then 12.8 or 13:1, and finally 12:1.

IRL was always a NA motor rule. The 4.0 Aurora "based" motor was GM's initial entry.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:59 AM
TECH Junkie

IRL has only been around for a few years on its own. until the early 90s(might have been late 80s) IRL and CART were together. now the jap engines are basically ruling IRL(the jap drivers suck). what does amaze me is how prestigious the indy 500 still is, attracting some F1 drivers as well as nascar and drivers from other forms of racing.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:22 PM
Launching!

F1.
Ferrari 18,000 rpm
(PUG) Peugeot Citroen, is now running at 28,000 rpm's.

Clearwater, I do not know. This what I was told at the time. I was an co-owner through a private JV as a non-managing partner. This how we do it, to stop personal liability. I was concentrating more on our sponsers, potential sponsers and various eye candy.

Indy is very well marketed and has been over a long period of time.
EG. Coke, the company. Tide, the soap. etc.

Also, as was said above; Stock car is now at 12:1. At least that's what it said on the sign in front of the, "GM Racing," Nascar motor I saw two weeks ago. Nascar has a lot of popularity and a lot surface area to advertise on the cars.

Of course this week, it's probably different on the compression.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:21 PM
Teching In

F1 isn't the only one with traction control. It may be illegal, but Nascar has had traction control for many years. They used to have it on them, and it would plug into the MSD box so that when they tech'd the car, they couldn't find it. Then they would build it into the MSD box, then they hired the best MSD cheat to be an inspector. Last I heard, they had it in the tachometers. There have been many races where you see someone change a tach after tech/qualifying. How often do you really think a tach goes bad? Nascar dosen't have the money of F1, but they definitely have some very smart people working around the rules.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:35 PM
TECH Junkie

racin has always had those that bent the rules. i believe it was the Sonoco team that had a second hidden gas tank so they could run longer. they also acid dipped the car to lighten it.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:44 PM
12 Second Club

is there any racing organization that forces teams to use real cars? i like the fact that f1 keeps challenging their teams to build more reliable engines that have to last and perform, and i like that motorcycle racing features bikes closer to what you would be able to buy, unlike nascar and f1. but none are very fun to watch, especially f1 since you got an idea who's gonna win the season before it starts. and the thing i dont like about nascar is that there has never been a rear drive v8 ford taurus, or the new fusion. in a racing sense it is fun to watch these crazy vehicles compete, but i think we need something based more on real cars to step up.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:20 PM
Teching In

It was Smoky Yunick that was one of the first to run, maybe just to get caught, running an acid dipped car. He is also the one that ran a 2" fuel line over 10 feet through the car in 1966. After the race, they said he was cheating, so they pulled the gas tank out of the car, he jumped in, started it, and drove it to the pits. He is the person that most of the rules in the Nascar rule book were for. Some of the things he did were just amazing. He is the reason for body templates also. In '66, he built a 7/8 scale Chevelle. Nobody noticed the smaller car until it was placed next to a real car.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BUYAMERICAN
I cannot remember, butI think it was Champ, that they tried to run on Daytona. The drivers were pulling to many g's to be considered safe. Going unconcious in a car. 5g's is the norm.

That was when the series formerly known as CART (now CHAMP CAR) was supposed to come to Texas Motor Speeedway, but due to the high g-loads, they cancelled that race.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

You wana talk about boost. I have a customer with a 426 CID 6cyl Allis running a custom built 3 stage turbo system. . .. lets try on 140PSI of BOOST!!! With a custom solid roller camshaft she makes about 3500HP at 4000 rpm.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:37 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Cstraub
You wana talk about boost. I have a customer with a 426 CID 6cyl Allis running a custom built 3 stage turbo system. . .. lets try on 140PSI of BOOST!!! With a custom solid roller camshaft she makes about 3500HP at 4000 rpm.
Ask that crazy guy what his back pressure is!
Old 10-26-2005, 05:45 PM
Teching In

must be talking about a pulling tractor, those things run crazy boost. I saw one crack the block at the top where the head bolts on and the head, and all 4 turbos and piping came through the hood and almost landed on the flag man.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:45 PM
Teching In

is that with diesel?
Old 10-26-2005, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
I thought they had 16:1 compression. For Chevys, a derivation of the SB2.2 head. Lots of work on the combuston chamber, ports, intake, and exhaust. Individual cylinder ignition timing (check the MSD site for info). Jesel or T&D rockers with big ratios, very light, TI valves, very, very aggressive cams (fresh springs all the time, even with oilers, dry sump pulling close to 20psi vacuum (instead of a breather the have a relief to prevent to much vacuum), around 45psi oil pressure with tight clearences and thin (5-20, 5-30) synthetic oil,very light rods (steel and around 500gm I think, or at least the old qualifing rods where), light pins, etc.

The last 50-100 hp comes from little details in assembly, clearences, ports, combustion chamber, and tune.3-5hp may not change a lap time much, however it can be the difference between making a pass and not making a pass.
no there connecting rods are ti as well or at least thats what i had read
Old 10-26-2005, 10:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by vipex70
is that with diesel?
gotta be, especially if they are talking pulling tractors. 3500 HP at only 4000 rpms.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:37 PM
Teching In

Nascar must run solid steel connecting rods. Alot of Nascar tech is using a magnet, because most of the metals are to be magnetic steel. Nascar trys to limit the exotic materials and expense, and also it makes it easier to tech. It dosen't take long to put a magnet up next to something and see if it sticks.

Quick Reply: How do NASCAR engines make 750+HP?