Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cause there ****** magic
Old 10-30-2005, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The things on the internet that drive people nuts are ridiculous statements such as: a larger carb without restrictor plates only adds 15 hp to a restricted 750 hp Nascar engine. Either that carb was added with the restrictor plates in place or the statement is total bs. People do not have a basic understanding of how engines operate. Then they either get their facts twisted or are too ignorant to realize that their fantastic claims are incorrect. It is a shame there is not a stupid filter.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06
It is a shame there is not a stupid filter.
LOL then there would be much less humor in the forums!
Old 10-30-2005, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
LOL then there would be much less humor in the forums!
I wouldn't be allowed online anymore
Old 10-30-2005, 09:37 PM
Banned

You ever go to the TuckerMax forum? Now that place has the moderators on a tight leash and basically implimenting the stupid filter by hand.... not much of a place to learn.... which is the key to all of this stuff.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

People do not have a basic understanding of how engines operate. Then they either get their facts twisted or are too ignorant to realize that their fantastic claims are incorrect. It is a shame there is not a stupid filter.
I think people do have a basic understanding of how engines work, I just dont think that everyone has a technical understanding of how engines work.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:30 AM
Teching In

The carb wasn't added to a restrictor plate engine. Not all nascar engines run restrictor plates. This was a DYNO TEST ENGINE at Penske's engine shop in Concord, NC. I can give you the name of the guys that worked on the engine and the guy that rebuilt my carb. The carbs they run flow way more than there original CFM's, so a 1050 CFM isn't much bigger.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

from what I have heard, its the lobe seperation on the exhaust and intake. I heard the intake to exhaust open and closed, was a 1 to 1 ratio.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by stang killer
I think people do have a basic understanding of how engines work, I just dont think that everyone has a technical understanding of how engines work.
Really its sad to say but this industry is based on more marketing BS then any other industry, or maybe I feel that way because I deal with it everyday. I guess they feed on our nations passion for cars and we just play right into it.

Over the years I have worked for companies that sold 5 different brands of of a similar product. Even when I worked straight commission I felt it was my job to get my customer the product that best suited his or her needs not what what made me the most money. In turn I have had customers that have followed me over 12 years and 4 different companies because they trusted me.

I feel when you build a performance combination you need to get with someone you can trust because down the road you will need that person.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Cstraub
Really its sad to say but this industry is based on more marketing BS then any other industry, or maybe I feel that way because I deal with it everyday. I guess they feed on our nations passion for cars and we just play right into it.

Over the years I have worked for companies that sold 5 different brands of of a similar product. Even when I worked straight commission I felt it was my job to get my customer the product that best suited his or her needs not what what made me the most money. In turn I have had customers that have followed me over 12 years and 4 different companies because they trusted me.

I feel when you build a performance combination you need to get with someone you can trust because down the road you will need that person.
I don't post much on these forums as my technical knowledge on cars is very limited, but I do read as much as I can to try and learn all I can. Every once in a while I will find a post that makes me want to say something. That is this post.

You are 100% correct on that statement. When I am going to be dropping thousands of dollars into something I want to make sure I get exactly what I want. I don't want to have to compromise or get something that I don't need. If someone can help me get what I want then I will be certain to come back to them later if I need anything else.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Zzambucca
The carb wasn't added to a restrictor plate engine. Not all nascar engines run restrictor plates. This was a DYNO TEST ENGINE at Penske's engine shop in Concord, NC. I can give you the name of the guys that worked on the engine and the guy that rebuilt my carb. The carbs they run flow way more than there original CFM's, so a 1050 CFM isn't much bigger.

This is exactly what I am talking about...of course a reworked carb will flow as much as dominator carb. The discussion was about Nascar engines and how they make there power, with restrictor plates, 'cause that is what they race with. A top nascar team recently took the restrictor plate and nascar legal carb off and replaced them with a stock 1050 dominator. The same car that ran 190 mph in legal nascar trim ran 230 mph without any carb tuning. It takes a lot of hp to add 40 mph to a 3500 lb car. That is what the restrictor plates do...in is not about the carb...it is the plates.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The discussion was about Nascar engines and how they make there power, with restrictor plates, 'cause that is what they race with.
Chuck, the discussion was about 750+ hp unrestricted Cup engines, not 450 hp plate "engines". There are only 2 tracks (4 points races per season) where the plates are used. The other 32 points races are without plates (aka open or unrestricted). That's what you meant, right?
Old 11-03-2005, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I picked up a set of nascar rods and a crank used. The Bryant crank was machined perfect and half the weight/size of a normal one, rods had honda journal sizes (small).

Half the rotating mass, twice the air flow and a bottom end made so perfect that it can handle anything.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
358 cubes is correct. Max bore is about 4.180 or so, so strokes are down around 3.3. Max power on open engines (not plate) probably comes in the high 8's and holds on without dropping much past 9500. It depends on the track and rpm range. Martinsville today showed about 4500-9000. Some track have a gear rule imposed to limit rpm to maybe 95-9700.

The secret is making great BMEP at 8700-9500. IOW, pumping lots of air at those rpms. Cup engines have to use flat lifter cams. 9700 isn 't all that much problem for them now, but it is ungodly expensive to do.
The secret is always BMEP at high rpm for racing. I wonder why its still a secret
Old 11-04-2005, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

The secret is making great BMEP at 8700-9500. IOW, pumping lots of air at those rpms.

Originally Posted by treyZ28
The secret is always BMEP at high rpm for racing. I wonder why its still a secret
se.cret (se'krit) --noun. 1. something known only to a person or certain persons and purposely kept form the knowledge of others. 2. something not revealed, understood or explained. 3. the true cause or explanation, regarded as not obvious.

Choose #3.

It then becomes, "The true cause or explanation, regarded as not obvious, is making great BMEP at 8700-9500." Personally I thought "secret #3" said it better in eight fewer words.

Ain't grammar fun?
Old 11-04-2005, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

se.cret (se'krit) --noun. 1. something known only to a person or certain persons and purposely kept form the knowledge of others. 2. something not revealed, understood or explained. 3. the true cause or explanation, regarded as not obvious.

Choose #3.

It then becomes, "The true cause or explanation, regarded as not obvious, is making great BMEP at 8700-9500." Personally I thought "secret #3" said it better in eight fewer words.

Ain't grammar fun?
I like math. 6 is always 6. there are no alternate meanings of 6. you cant confuse 6 with 17. 6 has a value unique to only the number six.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bah, its this late at night and you're going to hold me to a typo!?
Old 11-05-2005, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by treyZ28
Bah, its this late at night and you're going to hold me to a typo!?
Nope.

There's always the edit function.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:27 AM
TECH Veteran

F1 cars dont have cams since their valves are phenmatic; right?

Anyway, nowone has mentioned the racing engines and series that make the most power - NHRA at 6000 HP with a limit of 500 cubic inches.

Their notro engines are about $100K each and last one or two rounds - approximately 8 or 9 seconds!).

They are also the fastest cars at 340 MPH!

Therefore, F1 and NASCAR engines are pathetic WIMPS!
Old 12-17-2007, 11:26 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
F1 cars dont have cams since their valves are phenmatic; right?

Anyway, nowone has mentioned the racing engines and series that make the most power - NHRA at 6000 HP with a limit of 500 cubic inches.

Their notro engines are about $100K each and last one or two rounds - approximately 8 or 9 seconds!).

They are also the fastest cars at 340 MPH!

Therefore, F1 and NASCAR engines are pathetic WIMPS!
F1 cars right now still have cams just like any other car but the springs are an air bag type deal.

Nitro engines are burning liquid TNT so they aren't regular "engines" really!

Last edited by racer7088; 12-18-2007 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Can't spell!

Quick Reply: How do NASCAR engines make 750+HP?