Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

fast 90 mm intake question

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 09:28 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Default fast 90 mm intake question

I recieved my fast intake a couple weeks ago, and had some free time on my hands over the weekend, so I decided to take it apart to see what's going on inside..... and had an idea

The runners of the intake itself, could some of that be removed to decrease the effective runner lenth inside the intake to increase flow?

I also see where the intkae can probably be smoothed and ported to increase flow as well, probably like what tony@afr does. I can see some other areas though, where it would appear that the intake runner itself could be removed, increasing the intake volume slightly, and also decreasing the runner lenth, making the intake probably behave a little more like the edlebrock victor unit, or the GMPP one.

Has anyone tried/done this, and if so, how much did you remove and where? I'm not about to port this thing myself, but I'm more curious as to what people have tried inside the intake, specificially when it comes to the effective runner lenth.

Thanks.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just guessing... I believe you are on the right track about shortening the intake runner. Tony has ported a few of these and I am very surprise by how loyal his customers are by not sharing how he does it.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not recommend doing it as you will loose the bell mouth. This curved area helps the air bend around the corner to get into the runner. If you remove this area to make it shorter, you will really be hurter more than helping.
As far as the smoothing of surfaces goes, I don't think anyone here can show proven data of this helping power in any way. It may help a little to port match the runners to the head, but don't get to crazy there either.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:24 AM
Race your car!

I have zero intention of taking any type of grinder to a 800 dollar intake manafold LOL, I will most likly send it to tony over the winter while teh car is down for some other things... if I wasn't already crunching with the whole motor project as it is, I'd have already sent him the new one to exchange for a ported one... just need to get the motor done and in the car first.

I'm just curious as to what is being doen inside the intake itself, or is port matching to the head the only thing that is being done......
Old 05-17-2006, 08:05 AM
10 Second Club

I don’t think you could go wrong by just sending it to Tony Mano.

Here is what I did.
1st remove that triangle wedge in the runner near the head
2nd port match intake to the heads and then blend it into the runner for a least the last 3”, (there is a choke point there).
3rd radius up the roof of the runner as it gets close to the injector (only the last ½”, because it is thin there and you will break into the gasket grove.
4th Remove those nuggets in the plenum at the opening of the runner.

Bob
Old 05-17-2006, 08:29 AM
Race your car!

sounds like fun.... but I'll leave it to Tony I think.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:33 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

SAM shortened the runners on an LS6 intake to increase plenum volume and raise the effective RPM of the intake. My understanding was it simply lost power doing so.

Its good thinking, as I had the same thoughts a couple of years back. After researching it its sounds like it hasn't panned out.

BTW, Tony does nice work.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:06 PM
8 Second Club

how much more power dose the avg person pick up by having the 90mm intake ported
Old 05-19-2006, 11:48 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=504589&page=1

Check Page 3 for a clear gragh comparing before and after intake results....no other changes.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:10 PM
Race your car!

Tony I will be eventually sending yo my intake to have it done, that I am sure of, just after recieving it, I took it apart, and was trying ot figure out exactly what was being done... not that I have any intent of attempting it myself. I'm pretty damn handy with a dremel, probbaly better then most I'd say, but this is something I'm not messing with, I'll leave that to a guy that has the flowbench testing done and knows what works.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive always been under the impression that the long runners for increased lower and midrange torque were the reason for the FAST intake.... if you wanted max peak high RPM hp, you would run one of the other intakes.. ( sheetmetal, carb, ect..)
Old 05-20-2006, 12:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=504589&page=1

Check Page 3 for a clear gragh comparing before and after intake results....no other changes.
Tony, I am with you on the value of the FAST intake, but I call bullshit on a 22whp/20tq gain. Something else is going on there, tune, mechanical issues, etc. Its easy to say read paragraph 3 of this latest post, but what have your AVERAGE gains been netting? 7,8,9,10?

Brandon
Old 05-20-2006, 12:20 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, an unported FAST is worth 8-10 HP peak over an LS6. Take a ported FAST and its worth 8 to as much as 11 HP over a stock FAST. So, you take those two values, and you can see 20 or so HP.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:03 AM
TECH Addict

My apologies. I didnt read close enough, and thought the graph and you were saying the gained power was soley from the ported intake. A couple of drinks have clouded my cognitive skills. Still wanna see someone else before and after of the FAST being ported ONLY. I have had a few customers do it for me. Netted 5 and 7whp vs. unported.

Brandon
Old 05-20-2006, 06:41 AM
Race your car!

I will be doing the test myself, as I plan after I get teh new motor in my car to send the intake to Tony over the winter. NOw, this is a th400/4500 stall car, that can not be locked up, so teh reading's won't be as accurate as a M6 car, but I should be able to see the gains nonetheless.