Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tony Mamo Ported FAST 90 Intake Results

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 07:17 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tony Mamo Ported FAST 90 Intake Results

I just had my Tony Mamo ported FAST 90 Intake installed with a Nick Williams TB.

My car is a 2002 Z with 3500 miles on it. Last year, Lou G from LG Motorsports, Tony Mamo from AFR, and RMPallas and Jrod (LS1tech.com members) put my conversion package togather. Basically, I have the following mods:

AFR 205 Heads
LG Pro Long Tube Headers with Random Tech Cats
G5X2 Cam with titanium retainers and chrome pushrods
Comp 921 Springs
Vararam
Jwiss
ASP underdrive pulley

My Z dynoed out at 450 RWHP and 402 RW Torque (SAE) with the mods above and withoout the Mamofied FAST 90 Intake and NW TB.

After the installation of my Tony Mamo hand ported FAST 90 Intake and NW TB, I gained 22 RWHP and 20 RW Torque (SAE). Now I am at 472 RWHP and 422 RW Torque. I will post the dyno chart later this week once I get it scanned in. The reponsiveness of my car is awesome. It is a night and day difference with the Mamo ported FAST 90intake on it. I gained RWHP and RW Torque across the whole RPM Range. (It never dipped below at any point in RWHP or RW Torque). For those members that are interested in this mod, I would definitely recommend it. My intake was beautifully ported out by hand by Tony himself. It is definitely worth putting on your car.

I want to take the time to thank Tony Mamo from AFR, Lou G and Bobby from LG Motorsports, RMPallas and Jrod (LS1tech.com members), Craig Hanson and Kevin Paddock HPPerformance, Brian Vorpah, and Bill S. Thanks for taking the time with me and answering all of my questions. I really appreciate all of your expertise.

JG853
Old 05-10-2006, 07:27 AM
n2o
TECH Enthusiast

That is great, how do we go about getting him to do it?
Old 05-10-2006, 07:37 AM
12 Second Club

Was the intake port matched to the heads or was it just ported like everyone does to their FAST?
Also, what on the TB can be ported?

These are the kinds of numbers I'm shooting for eventually, same heads and such in the future.

DJ
Old 05-10-2006, 07:41 AM
Launching!

n2o -

Call Tony Mamo at AFR and he can help you.

JG853

Originally Posted by n2o
That is great, how do we go about getting him to do it?
Old 05-10-2006, 07:46 AM
Launching!

Dirty John -

The intake was hand ported by Tony Mamo. I gave him my mods and what my AFR heads were milled to and he took care of the rest. I have seen other FAST Intakes, but I wanted to use Tony as he made my heads and helped put my package togather. The guys who installed the Mamofied FAST Intake and NW TB asked me who took all the time to port it as they said it was the best they had ever seen period.

I am running a Nick Williams TB. I believe he ports these when you buy them.

The responsiveness of the car is awesome.

JG853

Originally Posted by DirtyJohn
Was the intake port matched to the heads or was it just ported like everyone does to their FAST?
Also, what on the TB can be ported?

These are the kinds of numbers I'm shooting for eventually, same heads and such in the future.

DJ
Old 05-10-2006, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow, great results. I will have a similiar setup with a smaller cam.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SWEET... this is just the information I have been looking for....

Can you post your dyno-graphs????

Old 05-10-2006, 07:57 AM
Launching!

SideStep -

I soon as I get back home from work travel, I will scan it in and post it. Look for it on Friday or Saturday.

JG853

Originally Posted by SideStep
SWEET... this is just the information I have been looking for....

Can you post your dyno-graphs????

Old 05-10-2006, 08:21 AM
Restricted User

So the 450 hp was with the LS6 intake and stock tb???
Old 05-10-2006, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JG853
SideStep -

I soon as I get back home from work travel, I will scan it in and post it. Look for it on Friday or Saturday.

JG853

Thanks looking forward to it.....
Old 05-10-2006, 09:54 AM
Launching!

The 450 RWHP and 402 RW Torque was with the LS6 intake and stock TB

Originally Posted by 2001 Pewter WS6
So the 450 hp was with the LS6 intake and stock tb???
Old 05-10-2006, 10:21 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JG853
The intake was hand ported by Tony Mamo. I gave him my mods and what my AFR heads were milled to and he took care of the rest. I have seen other FAST Intakes, but I wanted to use Tony as he made my heads and helped put my package togather. The guys who installed the Mamofied FAST Intake and NW TB asked me who took all the time to port it as they said it was the best they had ever seen period.
Right on, i've heard nothing but good things about TM.
MOF I modeled my mod goals around one of his Mamo Combo posts a while back.
I just was curious as I am hand porting my FAST and was curious if he did port matched to the heads too.

Congrats on the numbers and sweet setup.
DJ
Old 05-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Restricted User

I would have been curious to see how much he would have gained with the intake straight from the box. Most people see at least 20rwhp. $500 to have Tony port it sounds like a lot of money for 2 or 3 hp... Not worth it in my book.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have been curious to see how much he would have gained with the intake straight from the box. Most people see at least 20rwhp. $500 to have Tony port it sounds like a lot of money for 2 or 3 hp... Not worth it in my book.

So you're saying your only going to gain 2 or 3 hp from porting the FAST intake?

Can you post up the emperical information that you have? I would like to see this.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

could you post at which rpm you had hp and tq peaks before and after?
Old 05-10-2006, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He charges $500 to port the fast 90 manifold?
Old 05-10-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Addict

On your setup, wouldn't you gain close to 20 rwhp even without the FAST being ported. Seems like the porting is only good for a couple of hp. And for $500?
Old 05-10-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm jealous... I want a ported FAST 90/90 setup so badly. It would really wake up my 408.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:46 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ported Intakes are no different than ported heads....A good job will add power....an OK job might not, and the wrong modifications can and will hurt power. I recently spoke with a shop (who's name I won't drag into this) who was slightly unhappy with his power results on a certain combination he was familiar with. He had a "ported FAST" from another vendor and I just mentioned in a conversation we had about his dyno results (which were mainly lacking in the TQ department) that he might want to swap on a stock FAST just to rule the manifold out of the equation....low and behold he picked up 15 RWTQ and 5 peak HP swapping to a stock unmodified unit. No matter what he was charged to have that intake ported, it was obviously money that wasn't very well spent (not to mention he's now stuck with an $800 plastic paperweight).

Bottom line is I have a lot of R&D, flowbench, and dyno time into the modifications that I make and the execution is time consuming because I pride myself on the neatness and accuracy of my work. To comment on it being overpriced without seeing one first hand is BS....speak to some of the people I helped and asked them how they felt about the money they spent after they received it.

Most of the guys that have used my intake have seen gains from 20-25 HP at the rear wheel and a nice increase in TQ early in the curve which is another big benefit....most stock FAST intake swaps show a loss at the very low RPM's and show most of their gains very high in the RPM curve.

What I do isn't for everyone....its for the guys looking for all the money from their combination and don't mind spending a little more to get it. The work is time consuming, definately not cheap, but I don't know of anyone I have helped that hasnt been totally satisfied with the end results.

Tony M.

PS....Joel, congrats on the results....especially the 20 ft/lb gain in TQ. I was happy we were able to clear your goals of 470+....big numbers considering the streetability of your combination.

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 05-10-2006 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:30 PM
Launching!

I have seen a number of threads on this site and other sites with guys who put the unmodified FAST 90 Intake on their car. What I have seen time and time again is a drop in RW Torque. Plus, I have seen unmodified units get 10 - 15 RWHP. This information also comes from very well respected shops that are forum vendors on this site.

In comparison, my torque went up considerably. Plus, the responsiveness of the car is totally different. Not sure where you got your pricing from, but with everything in life, you get what you pay for. Everyone has their own opinion, and I can respect that. For me, I contacted numerous people who have had Tony do this to the intake (On this site and others) and all of them had outstanding results. So, if I was going to do it, then I only want the best in my car since I am going to do it right the first time. The car is a beast to say the least. No dyno tricks, as I am running 13:1 AFR. I will scan in my results and post them.

This reminds me of the threads that question AFR heads, but time and time again the results are there. Again, they do cost a little more, but in the end the results back the cost. I do not think that any mods are cheap for any car or any vendor on this site, but I personally am willing to pay for the best. No question that Tony Mamo knows what he is doing, as my results and others with his set-up speak for themselves (As well as his Corvette). Plus, mine is a non-track car. It has perfect street manners with 472 RWHP and 422 RW Torque on a NA Z06. There is something to be said about that.

Again, I appreciate your opinions and best of luck to you with your set-up. I just thought that I would share mine with all of you. Thanks also to Patrick G on this site for helping me out as well.

I am on my way to getting the C6 Z06 so I can have Tony help me out some more since my C5 Z06 is complete.

Quick Reply: Tony Mamo Ported FAST 90 Intake Results