Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Is tire width as important as we think it is?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
hint:
i'll take a contact patch thats an inch longer then one thats an inch wider, anyday.
How about both (and inch longer and an inch wider)...?
Old 05-03-2007, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MadBill
Wow, some hot topic I just stumbled into!
There's definitely some good wheat amongst the chaff above, and the post by Knapp in the "Tire Width" link expertly covers the wide Vs. long contact patch issue (and explains why a tall tire/long patch is a plus for drag racing but not cornering), but there are a couple of other factors which have been omitted or touched only lightly upon:
o The classic F = N x mu friction applies to smooth hard surfaces and is only a part of a tire's grip.
o Mechanical interlocking ("hysteresis gearing") of the soft rubber with the track surface is a major factor.
o Molecular bonding of the tire to the track (think Post It Notes) is also significant, particularly on dry roads.
o The last two are temperature sensitive and a wider tire has more area to accept and dissipate heat, thus can be made softer without overheating.
o F1 uses tall sidewalls because they are limited to 15" wheel diameter. Prototype and Sports race cars generally use 18"-19" when rules permit.
o All else being equal, a wider tire will almost invariably corner faster, but may lap slower due to more inertia, higher rolling friction and or air drag.
There's the key.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
hint:
i'll take a contact patch thats an inch longer then one thats an inch wider, anyday.
Agreed! Which causes me to wonder why ours cars come with such short tires.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by joecar
There's the key.

The key is to add more horse power... ... for quicker laps times..
Old 05-03-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just put 315's on my buddies cobra...wider tire helps for sure!
Old 05-04-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Veteran

When I first got my 436ci installed I still had my stock 275/40/17 Goodyear F1's on for a couple weeks. Could light them up from an 80mph roll. I put the 315's on and that speed went down to 40-50mph.

Wider = better traction.....fact.

From a dig too, a world of difference.

Simple.

1/4 mile drag race car, I have no idea. "Colonel" explained traction once before in a thread awhile ago, for 1/4 mile drag cars, and wider is not better.

Puttin 345/30/19 Hoosier R6's on the rear of my car when the new set-up gets done. We'll see what the RWHP limit is to hook on the street from a 50mph roll. And yes, it's getting a mini-tub to fit those big bitches.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its not much of a comparo but i drove a C6 Zo6 and while my car felt faster i could feel the rear tires. i was crazy it felt like the rear was rolling on steam rollers. i could tell the rear tires were holding the road and grabbing traction way better than my 275s
Old 05-19-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't read the whole thing, but it's not that simple. There is also F-sub-tire, for you engineering folk

Simple physics is just that, simple. I'm fortunate enough to work in a field that is under high temperatures, pressures, velocities and thoroughly calculated. We account for everything. When you start factoring in everything, everything changes
Old 05-19-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 478 Likes on 336 Posts

This thread reminds me of old F1 and Indy pics of cars with tires that resembled modern day spare tire doughnuts. Apparently someone realized between now and then that racing goes beyond "simple" physics.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by treyZ28
I didn't read the whole thing, but it's not that simple. There is also F-sub-tire, for you engineering folk

Simple physics is just that, simple. I'm fortunate enough to work in a field that is under high temperatures, pressures, velocities and thoroughly calculated. We account for everything. When you start factoring in everything, everything changes
Nobody on this board will ever be an F1 racer or even a serious road racer.

So, it IS simple.

Wider tire = more/better traction....period. Street and strip.

1/4 mile drag racing.....11 second and slower
Wider tire = more/better traction.....period.

1/4 mile, faster than 11 seconds.
A wider tire starts to become weaker and a skinnier, properly matched tire starts to beat it. Depends on entire set-up and HP.

I'm not even in to drag racing and I know this.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Uhhh... are you agreeing with me in a sarcastic tone?
Old 05-20-2007, 12:55 PM
11 Second Club

Ive cut 1.8 60's on sumitomo 245 50 16 street tires, when i had my 4.11 gears

this might sound crazy to some, but when i went from 315 35 17 rubber on 17x11 ZR1s to stock T/A wheels with 245 50 16s, i hooked better. for a drag radial, i have MT ET street radials, 255 50 16 and hook like a **** on the street and track

Last edited by 98TADRIVER; 05-20-2007 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:19 PM
TECH Regular

Just because a larger wheel and or tire doesn't spin as much as the smaller one did don't account it all to added width. More of the reason is because of the added wieght of the assembly being able to absorb the shift without over powering the grip. Again, width helps but it's not the only thing or the most significant.

Vernon
Old 05-20-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98TADRIVER

this might sound crazy to some, but when i went from 315 35 17 rubber on 17x11 ZR1s to stock T/A wheels with 245 50 16s, i hooked better. for a drag radial, i have MT ET street radials, 255 50 16 and hook like a **** on the street and track

The rubber compound (sidewall and tread) along with tread pattern make a huge difference. Hop on a sport bike with shitty tires and then on one with good tires. As a matter of fact, I'd suggest a bike to anyone who wants to experience this stuff. Everything from powering through corners to chassis flex to the importance of good rubber.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98TADRIVER

The rubber compound (sidewall and tread) along with tread pattern make a huge difference. Hop on a sport bike with shitty tires and then on one with good tires. As a matter of fact, I'd suggest a bike to anyone who wants to experience this stuff. Everything from powering through corners to chassis flex to the importance of good rubber.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by treyZ28

yea.. but that can set you into a diffrent mindset too.. i can have you hop on a bike with a 160 tire... and then goto a bike with a 180 or 190.... and suddenly you think.. WOW, i turn a hell of alot better with that 160...
Old 05-21-2007, 08:58 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by mpe488
that would certainly be the conventional wisdom, but if you looked at the patch as a wider area supporting the same weight, then you could analyze a small fraction of the patch and solve for it's friction force by using the equation (like in solving an integral.) Now the friction force per square unit will be smaller because the same weight is being applied to a greater area, but obviously there will be more square units of contact patch because the tire is wider.

In practice you should find that the total friction force:

(friction force per square unit) * (square units of surface area)

should come out equal in both cases.
When a surface becomes "adhesive" or "sticky" like a tire, that equation is no longer valid. If we were still rolling wood wheels (with no tires) it would hold though.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Quickin
Nobody on this board will ever be an F1 racer or even a serious road racer.
Why not?
Old 05-21-2007, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a bigger "footprint" is always better in driving the vehicle

in our evasive driving course, the main focus surrounded not using brakes so much to be able to keep the four tires even on the pavement and have an equal amount of contact

compound does also make a huge difference, doing over 100 with firestones the tires begin to wobble and warp, leaving at times a smaller footprint and worse handling....

however doing speeds or higher with goodyears and pirelleis theres a huge difference....

these have all been in my patrol car and im not sure of the exact types of tires, just the brands because i never really looked, but i could tell a huge difference in handling and speed with the different types of tires, i do know that the firestones have a higher tendancy to feather up/get skinnier, then the other two brands....leaving a bad footprint....im glad we switched to the goodyears
Old 05-22-2007, 11:07 AM

Like I always say...college kids are dumb...this section should be renamed to 90% 1st year engineering students and 10% ppl who know wtf they're talking about tech...Do you honestly think your 3 variable equation in physics I can be applied here? Wait till you get out of college and get some real and practical knowledge and sense before you try and solve this with math.

Quick Reply: Is tire width as important as we think it is?