Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Cam not degreed

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 02:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam not degreed

I had my cam installed and it was "degreed" using the lining up of the cam and crank gears. It was not done using a piston stop and a degree wheel. My question is how much of a performance loss can this cause. My car with all its mods is only running 13.1 @ 104 with some knock which I cant seem to get rid of. If i chose to degree the cam using the correct methods how much do you guys think im looking at for the engine removal, degreeing and reinstall.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Teching In

You shouldn't see a huge loss, if anything at all. by just lining up the dots this puts the cam in where the manufacturer had it ground. Unless you had a timing set that allowed for offset keys to adjust it you wouldn't be able to adjust it anyway.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:48 PM
12 Second Club

so you're saying it is not worht it to have the engine removed and the cam degreed with a a degree wheel.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:51 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Assuming that your cam isn't off more than 2 to 4 degrees, I doubt that you would gain more than 2 or 3 percent at max power even if it were exactly correct. I'd focus on some tuning to get rid of the KR and making sure that your AFR is correct and not worry too much about the cam phasing at this time. With average manufacturing tolerances and allowing for some timing chain stretch, my guess is that your cam is pretty well right (no more than three degrees off).

Steve
Old 06-09-2007, 03:10 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Steve Bryant
Assuming that your cam isn't off more than 2 to 4 degrees, I doubt that you would gain more than 2 or 3 percent at max power even if it were exactly correct. I'd focus on some tuning to get rid of the KR and making sure that your AFR is correct and not worry too much about the cam phasing at this time. With average manufacturing tolerances and allowing for some timing chain stretch, my guess is that your cam is pretty well right (no more than three degrees off).

Steve
Okay cool i guess i just wanted some reassurance. Im slowly trying yo get to the bottom of that knock retard. I have to go back to the dyno tuner to get my a/f dialed in since last time i went my fuel pump was crapping out. i have had it replaced since then.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Teching In

In my opinion it would not be worth pulling the engine to check. I agree with the above statements, try to get to the bottom of your knock retard and tune it.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The only way to see if a cam needs to be degreed is to degree it.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm pretty sure you can degree the cam without pulling the motor.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Same here.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The problem is you will never know how much power you may have left on the table. It could be zero or a lot. I personally have seen cams up to seven degrees off when installed dot to dot. We are talking alot of horsepower if that is the case.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could see a cam being off by 7 degrees affecting power. If it's off by a couple of degrees its a crap shoot. I degree my cams on the dyno to achieve the most power out of my combination possible. I'll advance or retard the cam between pulls until the power drops off, or not. Usually I'll be looking at area under the curve and sometimes a high or low trend. While sometimes the most power is made with the cam intalled straight up, more often than not best power will be made somewhere else. Ive had cams that were recomended for my combination that actually took an advance of 6 degrees to make maximum power. With a recomended nitrous grind I used last year I found another 20 RWHP with the cam retarded 5 degrees. And this was with the cam manf knowing all of the major variables on the engine.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by engineermike
True, the guy who installed my cam used a wheel with out pulling the motor. He has the picks on his camera, Ill try and get them.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Definatly. Just pull alt,power steering,ac, and radiator to get some room. you can not degree with a stock timing set just check to make sure its ground correctly. If you post a dyno graph we can probably tell you if its degreed right.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:03 PM
9 Second Club

Shiz you went to pump gas drag CAMP? is that like band camp?

Spell check your sig.

C-rules ..... do you have an adjustable timing set?
If not then you cant adv. or ret.the cam anyways.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TT632
I could see a cam being off by 7 degrees affecting power. If it's off by a couple of degrees its a crap shoot. I degree my cams on the dyno to achieve the most power out of my combination possible. I'll advance or retard the cam between pulls until the power drops off, or not. Usually I'll be looking at area under the curve and sometimes a high or low trend. While sometimes the most power is made with the cam intalled straight up, more often than not best power will be made somewhere else. Ive had cams that were recomended for my combination that actually took an advance of 6 degrees to make maximum power. With a recomended nitrous grind I used last year I found another 20 RWHP with the cam retarded 5 degrees. And this was with the cam manf knowing all of the major variables on the engine.
The closer the cam design (valve events specs) is to optimum for a particular engine, the more important it is to put it in where it belongs. I guess it depends on how important the last few % are to you. If you have to move a cam 5° or 6° from the "design" to get best power or best averages, the design was probably far from optimum.

If you were looking for the last 1% more power (or torque) in a racing engine, and the cam was degreed in 1° off from the design, you probably wouldn't see the increase. Is that important? It could be the difference between winning and losing a race or a championship.

People who buy H/C packages and don't degree in the cam to the design either are leaving power/torque they paid for on the table if the installed ICL is incorrect. If they don't know where the cam is installed then they don't really know if they are getting what they paid for. Ignornance is bliss.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
People who buy H/C packages and don't degree in the cam to the design either are leaving power/torque they paid for on the table if the installed ICL is incorrect. If they don't know where the cam is installed then they don't really know if they are getting what they paid for. Ignornance is bliss.
Though this may be true in some cases, in most H/C packages, I don't think that much thought or R&D went into deriving the perfect cam spec's.

Mike
Old 06-12-2007, 07:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TT632
What you found with retarding the cam is almost always the scenario I see. Too many people are using 112 ICL's and advancing the intake lobe to help in low end grunt. Generally when im degreeing a cam for maximum under curve power, retarding the cam thats been ground like this, 99.9% of the times ive done it made the best power this way.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ShiznityZ28
Definatly. Just pull alt,power steering,ac, and radiator to get some room. you can not degree with a stock timing set just check to make sure its ground correctly. If you post a dyno graph we can probably tell you if its degreed right.
Actually you are wrong. You can use the stock timing sets with offset bushings to advance or retard. Takes a little machining but it can definitely be done.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Though this may be true in some cases, in most H/C packages, I don't think that much thought or R&D went into deriving the perfect cam spec's.

Mike
For most packages, you are probably correct, and it shows. Some have more thought and R&D into them than others. Caveat emptor.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WOTFMAN
Actually you are wrong. You can use the stock timing sets with offset bushings to advance or retard. Takes a little machining but it can definitely be done.
No you are wrong once you machine and modify the set its not a stock timing set anymore its a modified timing set

At that point the Comp adjustable set is cheeper and easyer whats it like $200

Quick Reply: Cam not degreed