Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

LS1 Block Material

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 11:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
All this talk about FSAE got me excited...too bad my schools program was just an embarrasment...I tried so hard to organize it better for 3 years and finally I just gave up. I learned SO MUCH from other schools out at the competition though, what an amazing few days.

As for the alloy talk...I did a lot of work with GM's castings in school for metallurgy research, but I'm not allowed to talk about them. I can say that they put a LOT of research into the production alloys to save money and have a good product (for their intended use).

Matweb is a pretty good resource to look up properties on the alloys mentioned in this thread.
Good that you mentioned it. www.matweb.com is a good materials database. It has a great search function that lets you select by material properties.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:56 AM
FormerVendor

Im a VERY thick skinned individual.. Anyone who knows me personally will vouch for that... On that note, there was no reason to belittle someone in this post.... If he wants to prvide information I think all ears were open... Giving the guy grief about posting up in hopes to hear from such knowledgeable people as OldSStroker is/was in bad taste in my opinion....

To each their own.. Everyone has an opinion just like an.......

Originally Posted by gametech
I hate to stir the pot any more, but I would rather have good info from a complete dick than bad info from the nicest guy on this forum. I think a lot of people here are a bit "thin-skinned" when it comes to criticism. However, that was one of the harsher posts I've read from OldSStroker. Maybe he was having a bad day?
Old 02-28-2008, 07:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Fran D
Yes, that's why it's not a melt. The metal retains its particulate characteristic as most processes, including sintering, only heat the materials to just below the melting point of the base metal. Having said all that, I actually have no idea what the composition of the Metaldyne (if, in fact, Metaldyne is the correct Tier) material is. It could have no Al it could have a lot. You can find out a lot here and here.
Thanks! I have alot to read. Very cool I knew about powder metal but didn't know it's comp. The factory where one of my friends worked did PM parts with presses in the 100's of tons but they just bought preloaded barrels depending on the target strenght. No one there did engineering on the metal comp. Just the metal shape.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:12 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron@Vengeance
Im a VERY thick skinned individual.. Anyone who knows me personally will vouch for that... On that note, there was no reason to belittle someone in this post.... If he wants to prvide information I think all ears were open... Giving the guy grief about posting up in hopes to hear from such knowledgeable people as OldSStroker is/was in bad taste in my opinion....

To each their own.. Everyone has an opinion just like an.......
Ron,
You brought up a good point yesterday and I didn't see a need to restate that point today. It's time to let this go and move on.

It appears that people in general are just trying to get this thread back on track and I believe that that is the business at hand.

Regards,

Steve
Old 02-29-2008, 06:23 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Thanks! I have alot to read. Very cool I knew about powder metal but didn't know it's comp. The factory where one of my friends worked did PM parts with presses in the 100's of tons but they just bought preloaded barrels depending on the target strenght. No one there did engineering on the metal comp. Just the metal shape.
Yeah, there's a lot of material there to digest. If you find anything of note or further details, please report back. It's pretty interesting stuff.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:24 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The senior Design aspect of Purdue FSAE was a joke.

FWIW, Our GT2 program is using a stock LS3 block. Not the GM Race case.

-Louis, Purdue FSAE welder '04/'05/'06
Old 03-04-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmmm... interesting use of Cu (in reference to post #3)...

makes sense, cam lobe surfaces need to be hard, but the shaft must not be brittle (even on the surface) or it would crack/split/break.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joecar

makes sense, cam lobe surfaces need to be hard, but the shaft must not be brittle (even on the surface) or it would crack/split/break.

Yes, carburized 8620 makes an extremely good wear surface (cam lobes). The core hardness even under the Cu masking is high enough to impart very good strength and some ductility to the cam. You get many of the same characteristics by induction hardening the lobes of a 5150 core which is direct hardening and doesn't need many hours in a carburizing furnace. Metallurgists could probably argue which is the better method, but for most applicatons, either is usable.

IOW, with today's outrageous copper prices and the cost of the energy to carburize to the required depth, 8620 cams are becoming rarer. The material cost and machining/grinding costs are pretty much a push for either material, so it is most likely energy (heat treating) and copper costs which are driving steel cam production. It might make cam manufacturers look fondly on the days before rollers, where all flat lifter cores were cast.

I still like built-up cams which some OEMs use. You get to choose different materials and heat treatments for the shaft, gear, bearing journals and lobes. The capital equipment cost is excessive for an aftermarket cam application, but I wouldn't count it out in the future.

This is probably a thread hijack because it doesn't relate to the OP's topic. At least it's technical.

Jon
Old 03-06-2008, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by joecar

like this one a GT2.

These cracks are not visible by eye.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:13 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Ron@Vengeance
Im a VERY thick skinned individual.. Everyone has an opinion just like an.......
When ya gotta a doped up dyno that reads as high as yours does you should have some think skin!

Quick Reply: LS1 Block Material