Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
View Poll Results: What color combo would look best?
Black/Silver
100.00%
Gunmetal/Silver
0%
Another combo (mention in your post)
0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Need opinions on LT1 engine bay color scheme

Old 12-04-2008, 02:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need opinions on LT1 engine bay color scheme

Alright well I want to spice up my engine bay this winter and I got a couple things in mind. I know I want to do something with the intake manifold (polished fins), accessory bracket, MAF, TB, elbow, and possibly the radiator shroud. Here is where I'm stuck because I don't know what to polish, powdercoat, or really what colors to use. I'm leaning away from alot of polishing simply because I daily drive this car and don't join alot of shows. But when I do I want to look nice!

I talked to Sean (SilverGhost) and we agree that black/silver or gunmetal/silver would look good since nothing else really matches the color of my car. I plan to keep the silver valvecovers because if I get nice polished ones I won't want to cover them with my plug wires. Speaking of those blue wires I plan to get black ones but when I ordered them Thunder didn't have the black in stock. I'm also going to relocate the fuel lines, hood latch, and possibly wire mod. Lastly I gotta do something with that yellow battery! Anyway here is what I'm working with now except the STB is gone.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wire mod is a must.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might find some ideas here. Polished will work you to death keeping them looking good if you ever show it? I chromed everything so I have no maintenance. Here's a site that may help?

http://www.lt1engine.com/?level=album&id=4
Old 12-04-2008, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

I want to do the wire mod but for my year it's a PIA because you have to cut and re-solder the wires back together. Unless you guys know an easier way?
Old 12-04-2008, 03:36 PM
12 Second Club

I did it on mine and i didn't cut my wires at all. Your 94 isn't any different then my 95
cell phone pic.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

How did you do it? Just disconnect all the wires at the positive junction box and run them under the fender? Where did they come back through at the front of the car? Also where did you put the grounds and the actual red box?
Old 12-04-2008, 05:07 PM
TECH Resident

+1 on wires. make it look not as cluttered. Helps alot.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:23 PM
12 Second Club

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lswon/s...7740314/detail

That will explain most of it. Now what your going to want to do with that positive distribution block is run those wires with the other ones then reconnect them under the fender either with the stock one or another one from Walmart circuit city... Then heat shrink or electrical tape them for insulation. What I did for a grommet on the main wiring harness hole was cut some flexible fuel line and line the metal hole so there isn't any chafing.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

As far as the battery goes, The Optima in my 68 is a red top that I painted flat black and the one in my 97 is silver. Just tape off whatever is yellow and don't forget to tape off the top pegs even if your not using them. Everybody who see's the Optima logo asks where I got a black top from. Same with the silver one.......ha. ha. Oh yea, clean it good first and high temp. paint is ideal.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:20 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jditlfm
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lswon/s...7740314/detail

That will explain most of it. Now what your going to want to do with that positive distribution block is run those wires with the other ones then reconnect them under the fender either with the stock one or another one from Walmart circuit city... Then heat shrink or electrical tape them for insulation. What I did for a grommet on the main wiring harness hole was cut some flexible fuel line and line the metal hole so there isn't any chafing.
Dude that link is just what I was looking for thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need opinions on LT1 engine bay color scheme