Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Old 05-20-2016, 02:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

HOW TO: Sequential Tail Lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
Check out the video in post #96. It shows the new kit. It's a little hard to see on the video due to the reflection of the reflective elements in the housings and the angle of the camera, but you can't tell any difference in luminous intensity between the bulbs. (If you watch closely for the bright spots in the video, this is a little easier to see.)
I watched the video full screen, but still notice the outer ones are a little dimmer than the inner ones for parking lights. For signals they're pretty close. I also noticed the inner 2 bulbs fade off alot longer than the outer bulb.

That's what I was wondering, if it's the camera causing the issue or it is indeed like that in person. I'm definitely putting sequential lights on this car, just debating on which module to buy.

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-27-2016, 02:40 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
I watched the video full screen, but still notice the outer ones are a little dimmer than the inner ones for parking lights.
I think that has more to do with the lens than the bulb. If you look at the video, when just the brake lights are on, the lens has reflectors that light up that make the two inner bulbs look more intense from directly behind the car. There are also reflectors and luminous spaces around the bulbs that light up that also throw the picture off.

I also noticed the inner 2 bulbs fade off alot longer than the outer bulb.
They could be a little different in that respect since they are different bulbs, but I can tell you that passers-by are so in awe of the things that they don't even notice.

That's what I was wondering, if it's the camera causing the issue or it is indeed like that in person.
My camera sucks.

There's also an optical illusion going on. Since the inner bulbs are on longer in the sequence, (Bulb #1 is on for 3 beats, bulb #2 is on for 2 beats, and that outer bulb is on for just 1.) your brain perceives the outer bulb flashing faster. If you watch the video closely, you'll see that they they do flash evenly.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just what I was wondering! Thanks for answering my questions, I'm looking forward to some more sequential signals!! I can't believe more people don't do this, especially now they offer a way without modifying your existing taillights.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:15 AM
Save the manuals!

Just what I was wondering! Thanks for answering my questions, I'm looking forward to some more sequential signals!! I can't believe more people don't do this, especially now they offer a way without modifying your existing taillights.
I went outside last night and observed the lights and the outer bulb is indeed a little dimmer, but that's not really what draws your eye. (You can see this on any car without the sequential lights.)

The outer cell of the lens is just different than the two inner ones. The reflection is totally different and that is what catches your eye. (not so much the luminosity of the bulbs) It looks to me that the inner cells are meant to send the light out linearly from the car and the outer cell is meant more to scatter the light in all directions.

So, it's just all-around diff'ernt. So, I think that's the part that one should be comfortable with. If the car were designed with sequential from the start, I'm sure the lens would be designed more uniformly. (But we'd probably need a different lighting design on the car to meet the regulations for parking light illumination.)
Old 01-29-2016, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Totally agree. I wish I could recall what my old sequential signals with the 3157 bulbs looked like as far as how it fills in the light on the outside edges. I don't remember noticing anything looking weird, but then again that was a long time ago.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:51 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had posted in this topic several years ago when I got the WebElectric Kit. It worked great for a while, but I fried one of the sequencers by trying it with LED's (There was no warning about it back then) and now that it's broken, my only options are to buy another $90 kit to replace the sequencer, or what I'd prefer to do is upgrade to sequential LED's. I've read through the thread and it seems that no one has a solution for this yet. Any ideas?

If i understand it correctly, the 4th gen T/A has 3 bulbs, the inner and middle being dual filament types and the outer being a 194 bulb (or 921 if you already have the kit). Turning on your headlights causes the dim filament middle and inner bulbs to light. the bright filaments and outer bulbs (with the kit) start sequencing when you have the turn signals on, and come on in sequence and stay on when you hit the brakes, meaning constant power causes them to stay on and on/off/on/off power causes them to sequence. Again, if i understand it correctly, this would mean that the dim filaments are irrelevant in your turn signal usage, and the brighter filaments and outer bulbs would essentially only consist of 3 sets of 2 wires (power/ground) to 3 bulbs. This doesn't seem like a complicated setup requiring a unique sequencer, shouldn't the led sequencer meant for say, a challenger or a mustang be able to be adapted fairly easily for our cars?

Last edited by TallgeeseIV; 03-19-2016 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Finally got around to ordering my sequentials and promptly installed. 6 months ago I ended up modifying my tail lights the 194 socket to a 3157 and while I was doing that I also swapped out all my LEDs. I just felt like it was worth the effort to put 3157 bulb and also because the actual Trans Am based kit doesn't work with LEDs. LEDs are WAY better than the incandescent lights, my tails are nice SOLID red color which looks so much better (and obviously brighter too). Since I was already running LEDs, I had to order the universal 3 bulb kit (STS-1), which was cheaper ($69). I soldered and heat shrinked all my connections and then loomed wiring from the module. They say to mount the modules actually inside the car even tho it's sealed, but it's just not very feasible to do with our cars. I put my modules underneath the center bulge so they were out of the way of anything and somewhat protected from the elements. Since I had to mount them sideways, even though they're pretty waterproof I put some black RTV inside the end to play it safe. I did have to extend the wire to the furthest light.

I don't think I saw anyone mention trying to use an electronic adjustable flasher. I found a cheap one on eBay and ordered it when I did the sequentials. Super fast shipping and I tested it out on my power supply with a single 194 LED to make sure it would work. It's definitely a blessing to be able to adjust the flash rate to get it to look just right. While it probably would be perfect to people using incadecent bulbs, it doesn't slow it down slow enough for my tastes so I'll order different type and test it out. I can use this one for my hazards.

FYI I did try the EL12 and another electronic flasher i had laying around, but neither worked with LEDs and sequentials.

I did run the wire to the front of the car so my brake lights operate normally. Event ho it sequences fash enough, I just don't particularly care for the sequential brake lights, it just seems like a reason for a cop to pull me over and I like to look as stock as possible. I originally thought you hook it up to your brake light wire pedal, but when reading the instructions you have to hook it up to the right and left signals. I did some testing under there, but never found the signal wires. Anyone happen to know which wires I need to tap into?

Name:  20160929_170228.jpg
Views: 1340
Size:  215.5 KB
Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 1221
Size:  33.7 KB
Name:  20160929_175302.jpg
Views: 1176
Size:  172.8 KB
Name:  20160929_175307.jpg
Views: 1188
Size:  155.2 KB
Name:  20160929_182126.jpg
Views: 1175
Size:  174.9 KB
Name:  20160929_195957.jpg
Views: 1255
Size:  163.5 KB
Name:  20160929_1959580.jpg
Views: 1268
Size:  171.1 KB
Name:  20160929_195959.jpg
Views: 1215
Size:  171.3 KB
Name:  20160929_231710.jpg
Views: 1319
Size:  115.8 KB

Quick video to show flash rate

Last edited by InfiniteReality; 10-03-2016 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:03 PM
Save the manuals!

I don't think I saw anyone mention trying to use an electronic adjustable flasher.
See post #96 for a do-it-yourself mod and video.

I found a cheap one on eBay and ordered it when I did the sequentials. Super fast shipping and I tested it out on my power supply with a single 194 LED to make sure it would work. It's definitely a blessing to be able to adjust the flash rate to get it to look just right. While it probably would be perfect to people using incadecent bulbs, it doesn't slow it down slow enough for my tastes so I'll order different type and test it out. I can use this one for my hazards.
You should be able to take that flasher you got off of ebay, and solder in a new varistor of differing values. This should change the rates. (See post 96 in this thread. I expect the method on your flasher is similar.)

FYI I did try the EL12 and another electronic flasher i had laying around, but neither worked with LEDs and sequentials.
A small resistor for additional load is probably all you need to add to get the EL12 to work.

I did run the wire to the front of the car so my brake lights operate normally. Event ho it sequences fash enough, I just don't particularly care for the sequential brake lights, it just seems like a reason for a cop to pull me over and I like to look as stock as possible.
Just driving a Firebird isn't enough for the cops to pull you over? (In my case, that's always been good enough...)
Old 10-03-2016, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for point me in the right direction. I probably should have read thru the thread again since it's been 6 months since I originally read it, lol. I'll have to yank it out and open it up and measure and see what the resistance of the existing pot is now. I'm not totally sure which way the resistance values go to slow it down or speed it up, but wonder if I can just reuse that pot and add a resistor in series with it to slow it down more?

Driving a TA is reason enough, but don't like to give them extra reasons, lol. I just like normal brake lights on my car. The busa on the other hand has different flashing patterns, mainly for safety.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:59 PM
Save the manuals!

I'll have to yank it out and open it up and measure and see what the resistance of the existing pot is now. I'm not totally sure which way the resistance values go to slow it down or speed it up, but wonder if I can just reuse that pot and add a resistor in series with it to slow it down more?
If I recall correctly, more resistance slows things down, so you should be able to add a plain resistor in series to have it work like you want. I remember that I tested mine that way but went with a single pot in the end to keep the packaging tight.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wssix99
If I recall correctly, more resistance slows things down, so you should be able to add a plain resistor in series to have it work like you want. I remember that I tested mine that way but went with a single pot in the end to keep the packaging tight.
Good to hear. I have a good amount of resistors on hand to test out. Prior to your reply I did order another adjustable one for $3.48 shipped. Also won an auction for another adjustable type for a whole $0.99 shipped. Both are coming from China but least I'll be able to use one of them for my hazards so they work properly.

I need to dig around and find what color the signal wires are under the dash so I can get brake lights to operate normal again.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:52 AM
Save the manuals!

I need to dig around and find what color the signal wires are under the dash so I can get brake lights to operate normal again.
If you register on Autozone.com, you can get full electrical schematics.

If I recall correctly, the brake signal needs to go through the turn signal switch - so the brake left and brake lights will go out when the turn signal for that side is on. (The filament for the brake and turn signal are shared, so in order to get a flash: the brake light/signal has to go off for whatever is flashing.)
Old 10-04-2016, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome, thanks. That's good to know I can get schematics there. Fixing to do now!
Old 10-31-2016, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Figured I'd update my experience with some adjustable flashers. The orange one worked decent, definitely better than EL12. Watching my video again kind of makes it look faster than what it is in person, not sure or if the camera didn't pick it up correctly. I got flasher #2 which is was also plug and play. I don't have video, but it slowed it down a little more than the orange so left it for my flasher and used the orange for my hazards.

I haven't tried flasher #3 yet, next time I'm under the dash I'll give it shot and think it may do the best of the 3. Only down side to it is you'll have to ground one terminal of it and I believe the factory flasher plug will easily plug onto the other 2 prongs with no issue.

Definitely recommend getting an adjustable flasher, they're actually legit.
#1: http://www.ebay.com/itm/282124254337
#2: http://www.ebay.com/itm/191982213277
#3: http://www.ebay.com/itm/182236411743

Pictures are in order.
Name:  Flasher%201.jpg
Views: 1228
Size:  49.3 KB

Name:  Flasher%203.jpg
Views: 1219
Size:  35.7 KB
Old 11-03-2016, 04:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's my "poor man's" sequential tails. The theory behind this is that LEDs ignite faster than incandescents so it should give a sequential effect. The thing I wasn't sure about was how much faster the LEDs would be and if the effect would be convincing. It turned out not too bad.

I'm using Sylvania ZEVO 3157 Red LEDs in the innermost sockets, with standard white bulbs in the outer 3157 and 194 sockets. I tied the 194 sockets into the signal circuit. I'm also using EL12 flashers.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

^ That's pretty cool and using your head. Never considered combining stuff to get the same affect.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:08 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Qcon
Here's my "poor man's" sequential tails. The theory behind this is that LEDs ignite faster than incandescents so it should give a sequential effect. The thing I wasn't sure about was how much faster the LEDs would be and if the effect would be convincing. It turned out not too bad.

I'm using Sylvania ZEVO 3157 Red LEDs in the innermost sockets, with standard white bulbs in the outer 3157 and 194 sockets. I tied the 194 sockets into the signal circuit. I'm also using EL12 flashers.

https://youtu.be/oMO_y7ejhNY
Dang and here I am trying to get the New LEDS I installed to flash correctly with my OLD *** Sequential Kit. Its the ones that manually adjust with a set screw. But the damn LEDs are lighting up so fast the outer two are lighting up almost at the exact same time no matter how I adjust them. Ill have to give this a shot! Thanks man, I knew the LED's came on faster but nothing dinged until just now! I also thought about getting an adjustable flasher
Old 10-22-2017, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Talking

regular bulbs, no leds, this kit was made a long time ago and no longer made, still works good

Old 11-19-2017, 11:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
regular bulbs, no leds, this kit was made a long time ago and no longer made, still works good

https://youtu.be/SIbEunZU0kI
How to?
Old 11-19-2017, 11:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by whytryz28
How to?
Not really, they just splice into the harness on each side, I bought some spare taillight harnesses to use, nothing complicated, really. By now their should be something out easier.

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Sequential Tail Lights